5th Gen Subaru Impreza Forum banner

41 - 60 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
811 Posts
Well, the parts sheet says “manual” right on it and says it’s for a 2018 Impreza. But obviously from your pictures the Subaru diagram is suspect, so I guess I stand corrected, I was just going by what “Subaru Parts” indicated.
I dug a little bit and it looks like that cable setup is used with the 6MT setups, in Forrester, Crosstrek, Legacy, Outback, and WRX. Huh. I didn't know the 6MT was that different from the 5MT setup.

·
Registered
12 Posts
The 5MT feels exactly the same as it has forever - notchy, not particularly smooth, but fine. I've driven manual Subarus since 2000 when I bought my 2.5RS, and it's very familiar. I will say that the '17+ Impreza has a VERY light clutch. I also like the STi shifter in the Sport, though I've been a proponent of Kartboy shifters forever. :)

Subaru has never had buttery-smooth manuals. The short-ratio 6MT in the STi feels different because of that, but it's still not what I'd call slick. Honda, BMW and Porsche all have a pretty good lock on how to make a nice manual, but it's also something that's gone by the wayside, mostly. BMW doesn't have them anymore, which is quite sad. Honda was traditionally excellent with them.

I've not driven a BRZ/FR-S/GT86 so I can't comment on that one.

·
Registered
335 Posts
I'm a stick shift fanatic but must admit my CVT has saved me from getting a few red light camera tickets as the CVT downshifts faster than I do when I'm just cruising in traffic. By the time I push in the clutch and grab the shifter the CVT has already done a perfect downshift.

·
Registered
3 Posts
The 5MT feels exactly the same as it has forever - notchy, not particularly smooth, but fine. I've driven manual Subarus since 2000 when I bought my 2.5RS, and it's very familiar.

That's good to hear. I enjoyed how my Wife's old 2010 Impreza Hatch - 5MT shifted and hoped that the newer 5MT wasn't much different.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I was torn choosing my Impreza: I always preferred MT over automatic but got CVT because I wanted:
- better gas mileage
- Eye Sight
I got used to it and I would even say I love the CVT *if* it didn't implement "false shifting". However, that feature is engaged only when you accelerate a bit harder so I can often enjoy the super smooth CVT operation (when I drive like a grandma). When I go to the "grandpa" mode the fake shifts give me the feeling I have some more horses than I actually do ;-)
Bottom line (for me): Got used to CVT and happy with it.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I finally found a use for the flappy paddles. Snow! We finally had some snow here, and the Impreza performed well as expected. Using the flappy paddles to hold gears in the snow was a blast. I had not really had a use for them before this.

·
Registered
811 Posts

·
ModFather
2019 Subaru Impreza Sport 5 Dr. Manual Shift
830 Posts
Besides 3 Subaru Brats, which I honestly don't remember how they felt shifter wise, that was a while ago, I've had 3 other manual Subarus: 99 RS, 04 Forester XT and a 16 BRZ. Now the 19 Impreza Sport, which comes with the STi Short Shifter installed. Subaru's are typically notchy or at least described that way. I like, it I'm use to it. My other car is a 99 Miata manual which I feel is probably the best shifting car I've owned. Worst I've ever had was my 64 Chevy pick up with a three on the tree :) The BRZ was my least favorite subaru, being cable driven. All 4 I've installed Kartboy Short Shifters which makes the shifts shorter but also more notchy and positive feeling.

I would not consider the Impreza a horrible shifting car by any means, it's fine as far as I'm concerned. Having a manual for my own car is something I really like and want. My wife has an outback with the VDC and I was driving a 2010 Legacy 3.6R with the 5EAT for years, nothing wrong with an automatic. The Impreza is not a fast car but it is a fun car with a manual. When I switch back to my Impreza from my Miata I don't say to myself, wow this shifts like sh*t what was I thinking when I got the manual? It's different, I have to get use to where the clutch catches etc VS the Miata but the Impreza shifter is fine even before I put the KB shifter in. Rev hang is another issue but my BRZ had that too, it's annoying but I live with it.

If you do get a manual and don't want to mess with changing the shift lever you can swap out the OEM shift knob for something like a Kartboy one and lower the knob height quite a bit. I realize a short shifter is not really about the height of the lever and means changing the fulcrum point, but it helps some.

I have some KBSS pics here >>Click me<<

I reaize you are just trying to get a feel for what people think, take one for a drive and see for yourself.

·
ModFather
830 Posts
I missed some of the other threads but I can say that I saw a post of the 2018 Manual drawing and that looks more like a 6 speed shifter assembly, not the 5 speed. The impreza is a 5 speed without cables. I say that for a few reasons. I see a lock out reverse collar in that diagram. That is only with the 6 speed, same goes for cables. My BRZ was a cable shifter and I've had the whole thing apart doing the KB short shifter. It's a lot harder on the 6 speed to install. Also, I've had my 2019 shift lever out and it's not cable actuated, it looks the same as my 99RS and 04 Forester when I had that assembly apart. I just went to an on line OEM parts place and have this diagram for the 2019 Impreza. So I'm not sure what the other one is for.

·
Registered
67 Posts
The BRZ was my least favorite subaru, being cable driven.
Not that I'm aware of, it's the same Assin 6 speed found as far back as S-series Nissans and later NB series Miatas.
It's whole life this has been recognised as not the best 6-speed out there, particularly the 1-2 shift when cold.....

Here's the BRZ mechanism, can't see any cables there.....

·
Registered
335 Posts
Too bad you didn't order the optional brake pedal :grin2:
Not in Chicago. I've been rear ended too many times over the years and rear end collisions always increase after a red light cam is installed. The town next to us removed their Red Light camera because of the increase in accidents. I'm also not fully over the scam Chicago pulled by illegaly shortening the yellow when they installed cameras. They got caught, but I'll never trust any government that openly cheats until it gets caught. Chicago is like living in the USSR sometimes.

·
ModFather
830 Posts
Not that I'm aware of, it's the same Assin 6 speed found as far back as S-series Nissans and later NB series Miatas.
It's whole life this has been recognised as not the best 6-speed out there, particularly the 1-2 shift when cold.....

Here's the BRZ mechanism, can't see any cables there.....
You are right not sure what I was thinking other than not my favorite subaru manual. I was my first and only 6 speed to date. My NB Miata is a 99 5 speed, I think the 6-speed was only offered in the 10 anniversary edition.

·
Registered
67 Posts
You are right not sure what I was thinking other than not my favorite subaru manual. I was my first and only 6 speed to date. My NB Miata is a 99 5 speed, I think the 6-speed was only offered in the 10 anniversary edition.
It was in all of the later NB series Miatas from 2001 to 2005, the last version to get it was the 04/05 Mazdaspeed with turbo, that's what I've got although it's called an MX5 SE here in Australia.

It's been used by lots of manufacturers and supplied by Assin, so it's not a 'Subaru box' like other Subies you've had......

·
Registered
335 Posts
The 4 Miatas Ive tried have the best shifters I've ever driven, and I've tried well over 50 different manuals over the years. If I fit inside I would have one. Actually, they are among the best handling as well.

·
Registered
1 Posts
The linkage is a Subaru accessory that is standard on the sport trim (mine is base).

The tune could result in denial of coverage if I took the car in for warranty work associated with the engine. But that's not the same thing as a blanket 'void the warranty' which Subaru doesn't do, and my clutch plate will be getting less wear with my tune than without it. I'm good with my decision.
How did you have it tuned?

·
Registered
811 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Toyota 86, 2020 Impreza
19 Posts
The gearbox feels okay to me. I'm sure using amsoil/redline/motul in the gearbox would help shift feel a bit. Just feels a bit sticky going with first.

·
Registered
811 Posts
41 - 60 of 61 Posts