5th Gen Subaru Impreza Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was informed that the K&N cold air intake made for our cars messes with the ECU and the functionality of our cars. My question is does it throw a CEL and does it need a tune after? Also if anyone has had an issue with this please let me know of the issue you had! Thanks in advance

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Dunno who you heard that from, I haven't see it on this forum.
This is in our 2017+ Facebook group he told me it messes with the ECU and the functionality of our car I am coming to the knowledge people of this forum for advice and experiences with this set up! It’s more of a can you confirm these issues type of question.

·
Premium Member
2017 Mazda CX-5 Sport
2,186 Posts
This is in our 2017+ Facebook group he told me it messes with the ECU and the functionality of our car I am coming to the knowledge people of this forum for advice and experiences with this set up! It’s more of a can you confirm these issues type of question.
I have been a member of many car forums, have never seen anyone have trouble with a K&N cold air intake. I have seen people claim that when they over oil a FLAT, drop in K&N air filter that it gets the MAF all gummed up though.

There are also tons of people that claim they get tons of extra HP using them and real tests that only show a small gain. I like the noise you get from them and believe that any extra air you can get into the engine helps a bit so I have one.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have been a member of many car forums, have never seen anyone have trouble with a K&N cold air intake. I have seen people claim that when they over oil a FLAT, drop in K&N air filter that it gets the MAF all gummed up though.

There are also tons of people that claim they get tons of extra HP using them and real tests that only show a small gain. I like the noise you get from them and believe that any extra air you can get into the engine helps a bit so I have one.
Thank you for an honest opinion and reports you heard. The guy I have talked to only read stuff online so his word may not be the most credible out there.

·
Banned
417 Posts
From long experience tuning my own Subarus and experimentation and use of different intake options... I can tell you with certainty that if you're installing an aftermarket intake (anyone's), without thorough and exhaustive tuning for that particular intake... you risk damaging your engine.

Potential problems may not be immediately apparent. People often conflate the different sound from the car with an increase in power. Their perceptions are almost always wrong. Some don't even care... they just want the cool sound, believing in whatever source helps them rationalise their decisions. Some, too many really, have paid the price of being wrong. Some will say they've been using XYZ intake for years and it works great... and souinds badaze, everyone says so. Do as you will. But don't be surprised if your car doesn't work right anymore.

About the ECU being messed up:

It isn't the ECU that's messed up, it's the data the ECU receives from the Mass Airflow Sensor, or MAF. And it's not messed up either. It's reporting exactly what it sees. But the data is wrong... because the airflow has been changed by the AFTERMARKET INTAKE.

Here is a good read if you want to know more about this subject: http://stangsunited.com/showthread.php?3804-Warning-!!-Before-you-change-that-tune-read-this!

To make a very long story short... DO NOT install an aftermarket air intake of any kind, and don't mess with the stock system either... unles the car gets tuned for the changes. Do not, for a more insideous reason. I can tell you from personal experience that I've never met or received service from, a professional tuner who tuned the MAF properly.

It was exactly that situation with my first tuner, then repeated by another tuner Iboth dyno tuners) that made me become a self tuner. After a few years tuning my own cars, data logging every day and modifying my maps, that I realized why professional tuners don't do it correctly. They would lose money. It takes a LOT of time and miles to get right. No one is going to get a MAF curve that's accurate unless they're good at it and tuning their own cars. It just isn't worth the time and effort otherwise.

Ask away... :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
From long experience tuning my own Subarus and experimentation and use of different intake options... I can tell you with certainty that if you're installing an aftermarket intake (anyone's), without thorough and exhaustive tuning for that particular intake... you risk damaging your engine.

Potential problems may not be immediately apparent. People often conflate the different sound from the car with an increase in power. Their perceptions are almost always wrong. Some don't even care... they just want the cool sound, believing in whatever source helps them rationalise their decisions. Some, too many really, have paid the price of being wrong. Some will say they've been using XYZ intake for years and it works great... and souinds badaze, everyone says so. Do as you will. But don't be surprised if your car doesn't work right anymore.

About the ECU being messed up:

It isn't the ECU that's messed up, it's the data the ECU receives from the Mass Airflow Sensor, or MAF. And it's not messed up either. It's reporting exactly what it sees. But the data is wrong... because the airflow has been changed by the AFTERMARKET INTAKE.

Here is a good read if you want to know more about this subject: http://stangsunited.com/showthread.php?3804-Warning-!!-Before-you-change-that-tune-read-this!

To make a very long story short... DO NOT install an aftermarket air intake of any kind, and don't mess with the stock system either... unles the car gets tuned for the changes. Do not, for a more insideous reason. I can tell you from personal experience that I've never met or received service from, a professional tuner who tuned the MAF properly.

It was exactly that situation with my first tuner, then repeated by another tuner Iboth dyno tuners) that made me become a self tuner. After a few years tuning my own cars, data logging every day and modifying my maps, that I realized why professional tuners don't do it correctly. They would lose money. It takes a LOT of time and miles to get right. No one is going to get a MAF curve that's accurate unless they're good at it and tuning their own cars. It just isn't worth the time and effort otherwise.

Ask away... :)
Then how can a company like K&N sell a product that damages an engine and not inform the customer that they are required to have a tune for it to work properly and not cause damage. Also how can K&N sell a product that after a said amount of time causes damage and get away with it after the issue was diagnosed and traced back to that being the sole cause? They should be sued for that.

·
Banned
417 Posts
Your followup questions should be addressed to Google. :) There is a lot of info there.

My answer was to a technical detail, the ECU. Your questions are rhetorical and I'm not prepared to go there... but the answer is pretty common knowledge.

I'll repeat an excerpt from my last post, "Do as you will." The etc. is implied.

·
Premium Member
2017 Mazda CX-5 Sport
2,186 Posts
The ECU will adjust itself to the different amount of air, that is what they do. And no ECU will get "ruined" by a CAI or SRI unless it is over oiled like I mentioned earlier.

Racers from SCCA to IMSA to dirt bikes etc. etc. etc. have been using K&N for years.

As I said you will get opinions from both sides if you go looking.

·
Banned
417 Posts
I like my Impreza's warranty. But that's just me.

When I put different intakes on Subarus I also did many other things that would violate the terms of my warranty, I knew that going in.

When I raced I didn't even use a filter. And people in almost all racing often do the same. But regardless of the racing venue, you can be sure they are running tuned, for everything about them... including their intake metering.

They also expect, like I did, to rebuild/refresh their motors after so many races, too. ;)

·
Registered
45 Posts
As one of the test cars used by K&N And the car used to do the final pictures and fittings I have had the cold air intake in my car since I’ve had the car. And I can say that I love the sound and performance and have never had any issue at the dealership or anywhere for it and the it works perfectly!

·
Registered
356 Posts
Then how can a company like K&N sell a product that damages an engine and not inform the customer that they are required to have a tune for it to work properly and not cause damage. Also how can K&N sell a product that after a said amount of time causes damage and get away with it after the issue was diagnosed and traced back to that being the sole cause? They should be sued for that.
I believe that there is a small disclaimer (there was one on the filter kit that I bought for my Pro Rally car some 30 years ago) which said "for off-road use only". That pretty much covers their @$$. I was wiling to take the chance because my motor was unlikely to make it past 10,000 miles before needing a full rebuild. If you use it on a regular road car, you'll pay the price down the road when it starts burning a quart of oil every 200 miles. But in the interim, go ahead, buy the K&N filter, revel in the 2 or 3 extra horsepower you might get, put the 'way rad' sticker on your car (right next to the one in Japanese that you don't know says "man with small equipment"...), and turn your cap backwards, just for show.......

·
Registered
45 Posts
I believe that there is a small disclaimer (there was one on the filter kit that I bought for my Pro Rally car some 30 years ago) which said "for off-road use only". That pretty much covers their @$$. I was wiling to take the chance because my motor was unlikely to make it past 10,000 miles before needing a full rebuild. If you use it on a regular road car, you'll pay the price down the road when it starts burning a quart of oil every 200 miles. But in the interim, go ahead, buy the K&N filter, revel in the 2 or 3 extra horsepower you might get, put the 'way rad' sticker on your car (right next to the one in Japanese that you don't know says "man with small equipment"...), and turn your cap backwards, just for show.......

It’s actually 5.22HP and I have the paperwork their is no disclaimer other than:
I’m

Seem like you bought a intake specifically made for off road but regular intakes mechanically are not causing an issue or they wouldn’t be in business as long as they have.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts