5th Gen Subaru Impreza Forum banner
21 - 40 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Glad that it's finally being addressed. Never thought it was an issue before until y'all mentioned it.
I first felt it at about 19k miles. Bought it with 8k. Thought I got a bad batch of gas at first but with 30k miles on it now and a scanner with live data to pinpoint what I was feeling, that obviously wasn't the case. I'm still going to trade it in simply because even though they have a fix for the issue, that's not to say it hasn't caused excess wear with the timing being pulled as sporadically and as often as it has. I drive an hour one way to work and it does it atleast every 5 minutes.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I first felt it at about 19k miles. Bought it with 8k. Thought I got a bad batch of gas at first but with 30k miles on it now and a scanner with live data to pinpoint what I was feeling, that obviously wasn't the case. I'm still going to trade it in simply because even though they have a fix for the issue, that's not to say it hasn't caused excess wear with the timing being pulled as sporadically and as often as it has. I drive an hour one way to work and it does it atleast every 5 minutes.
Wear from excessive downshifting? I'd be more concerned if the issue had caused excessive knock, but that's not the case.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 · (Edited)
Wear from excessive downshifting? I'd be more concerned if the issue had caused excessive knock, but that's not the case.
Downshifting? I have a graph in this thread showing how the timing is being pulled, it's not a constant correction, it's a blip of timing retard and back to normal multiple times in a few seconds. With that jerk in the timing/engine that often, for as many miles as I've been driving it, I can't see how that would be good for the engine at all.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Downshifting? The tsb is for manual trans only. I have a graph in this thread showing how the timing is being pulled, it's not a constant correction, it's a blip of timing retard and back to normal multiple times in a few seconds. With that jerk in the timing/engine that often for as many miles as I've been driving it, I can't see how that would be good for the engine at all.
Some drivers dealt with it by manually downshifting to increase engine rpm. Thought you might have done that. At least if you trade it in for a new Impreza it won't have the issue. But new vehicle likely hard to find right now.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Some drivers dealt with it by manually downshifting to increase engine rpm. Thought you might have done that. At least if you trade it in for a new Impreza it won't have the issue. But new vehicle likely hard to find right now.
No, I just drove at a higher rpm unless I was on the highway. My local Subaru has a 2021 wrx that'll be delivered on the 21st. Have the trade in value for my car and put money down on that for when it arrives. I liked the Impreza but without knowing if/when it was going to be fixed I wasnt going to take a chance on another one.

·
Registered
19 Sport Hatch MT
84 Posts
Going in to have this done tomorrow. I will report the results.
Dealer said they are going to charge me for this cause I'm out of warranty and it's only an elective TSB. What the heck

·
Registered
18 Posts
Dealer said they are going to charge me for this cause I'm out of warranty and it's only an elective TSB. What the heck
I'd complain to SOA. This is a design flaw which you would have asked the dealer to address sooner had Subaru not taken so long to identify and come up with a fix. Also, being an engine issue, why is the fix not covered by the 5 yr 60k mi powertrain warranty?

·
Registered
19 Sport Hatch MT
84 Posts
I contacted them via the main site a couple days ago but no reply yet

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
I thought about taking mine in to get it done but I'm trading it in early next week for a 2021 wrx. I'd have to take off work to go in and have it done and I've left early to take it in and have it looked at/talk to them about the issue more times than I can count.

·
Registered
19 Sport Hatch MT
84 Posts
I’m probably gonna pay for it too. Need all the power I can get

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
FYI, I had to pay for mine. Initial impression is that it was money well spent.
I'm sure! I was watching the live data and it really takes a good amount of timing from the engine. First 8k miles I loved the car but the last 11k miles I've been dealing with this and am over it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I'm sure! I was watching the live data and it really takes a good amount of timing from the engine. First 8k miles I loved the car but the last 11k miles I've been dealing with this and am over it.
I will let you know how it does after I put some more miles on it. So far, it feels much more peppy than it ever has..almost like a different engine.

·
Registered
180 Posts
So, my car is just over 2 years old. If I ask them to check out this TSB they will charge me?

·
Registered
19 Sport Hatch MT
84 Posts
They told me if you're over 3 yr or 36k mi then they charge an hour labor for it.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
I will let you know how it does after I put some more miles on it. So far, it feels much more peppy than it ever has..almost like a different engine.
I wouldn't bother lol, new car arrives at the dealership tonight. I'll be picking it up tomorrow or monday

·
Registered
9 Posts
So..update. I got tsb 09-77-21 done. It cost me $70. I have roughly 100 miles since. My scanner has shown no large changes in timing advance other than going about 5 degrees negative for a split second when the ac kicks on at idle.
The low to mid rpm range has been much much more responsive and consistent. Another nice plus is that my mpg are up by about 3. I recommend getting it done even if you are out of bumper to bumper warranty and have to pay for it.

21 - 40 of 52 Posts