5th Gen Subaru Impreza Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When blipping the throttle on my 5MT at idle when motor is fully up to temp., I get what can best be described as valve slap or knock. Doesn't happen when smoothly giving throttle, only when blipping. Also happens when blipping during a downshift, say from 3rd to 2nd. Sounds like loose timing chain tensioners or valves out of adjustment. Also, valve train sounds a bit like a diesel motor when idling. Has anyone experienced that knock from blipping or the diesel like valve noises when idling? Dealership and SOA have indicated that its normal, but I have had an independent Subaru shop tell me that its definitely not normal and sounds like valve train out of adjustment. Help or thoughts anyone?

·
Registered
16 Posts
When blipping the throttle on my 5MT at idle when motor is fully up to temp., I get what can best be described as valve slap or knock. Doesn't happen when smoothly giving throttle, only when blipping. Also happens when blipping during a downshift, say from 3rd to 2nd. Sounds like loose timing chain tensioners or valves out of adjustment. Also, valve train sounds a bit like a diesel motor when idling. Has anyone experienced that knock from blipping or the diesel like valve noises when idling? Dealership and SOA have indicated that its normal, but I have had an independent Subaru shop tell me that its definitely not normal and sounds like valve train out of adjustment. Help or thoughts anyone?
Did you manager to resolve the issue?
I have the same problem with my car but I'm afraid to take it to the dealer because they're very good at telling me it's normal

·
Registered
17 Posts
Did you manager to resolve the issue?
I have the same problem with my car but I'm afraid to take it to the dealer because they're very good at telling me it's normal
I have 132000km on my car (2017 5mt) and its done it from new. I'm pretty sure its piston slap. and about the knocking... i'm thinking about changing the weight of the oil once warranty is up. hoping it fixes the issue.... it really sounds like an engine that isn't using the proper oil weight. hopefully there isn't much damage from it...

·
Banned
417 Posts
I have 132000km on my car (2017 5mt) and its done it from new. I'm pretty sure its piston slap. and about the knocking... i'm thinking about changing the weight of the oil once warranty is up. hoping it fixes the issue.... it really sounds like an engine that isn't using the proper oil weight. hopefully there isn't much damage from it...
Every time I have added LiquiMoly Ceretek to an already ‘relatively’ quiet Suby engine it got markedly quieter. So much so I often forgot it was running.

As soon as my Imp reaches its first OCI I have it ready to go into it, too. I expect the same results.

It could be the answer for you.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Every time I have added LiquiMoly Ceretek to an already ‘relatively’ quiet Suby engine it got markedly quieter. So much so I often forgot it was running.

As soon as my Imp reaches its first OCI I have it ready to go into it, too. I expect the same results.

It could be the answer for you.
So you run the Mobil 1 0W20 but also add the LiquidMoly Ceretek? I'll definitely have to check it out.. can you buy this stuff at any parts store?

·
Banned
417 Posts
So you run the Mobil 1 0W20 but also add the LiquidMoly Ceretek? I'll definitely have to check it out.. can you buy this stuff at any parts store?
Buy it on Amazon.
And yes, with the Mobil 1. I don’t just add it to the normal fill, I substitute it for the same qty of 200 ml of the oil.

Not every OC either, but every other.
You will be amazed at the difference. There’s a LOT of reviews that all say the same. It took me a long time to try it, the world is full of snake oil. This isn’t one.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I_Am_Sam

I personally went to xW-30 on my second OC at 12k. Ow-20 is spec'd and will work fine but I prefer the xW-30 for Subaru Engines. Just my preference.

As for oil additives...do your research and choose what you are comfortable with. Liquid Moly can be bought as MOS2 or Ceretek...each with its own characteristics. Another product is Lubegard Bio/Tech. It is a moly additive as well just formulated differently.

I have used moly additives in my Subarus including the OC when I switched to xW-30 a few months ago.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
145 Posts
From the product listing, its states "not for use with wet clutches". I thought someone had told me the the 5MT in this generation is a wet clutch, but cant currently find anything that supports or denies that. Anyone able to confirm or shed some light on that for me? I'd be interested in quieting down my under hood typewriter, but need to be sure it's being done correctly. I've brought it up with the dealer, but standard everything is operating as normal answer.
Thanks!

·
Registered
145 Posts
Thanks Chrystal. That was my general understanding, but this is my first Subaru so I didnt know if it was something I wasnt familiar with. At this point, I cant even remember how or when that idea got in my head, sometime about when I first got the car I think.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts