5th Gen Subaru Impreza Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Everyone,
Hoping you guys can shed some light/experience on a concern I have. I picked up my Impreza Sport about a month ago. Being a Canadian car, the Sport comes with LED headlights wih LED DRLs wrapped around them and the halogen foglights. I basically adore the LED headlights and they were a major factor on my decision to go with this model over the touring. The problem is, they do make all the other lights look dim and a little cheap in comparison especially the foglight. I plan to replace them eventually with these as they seem to be the right choice and a direct fit.

https://www.amazon.ca/Philips-X-tre...&qid=1507817083&sr=8-10&keywords=2017+impreza

In the meantime, I've been looking into changing out the other bulbs to get rid of the dim yellow light that these cars come with. I know that most modern cars now seem to use canbus and that simply putting in an LED will cause the car to freak out. Sylvania makes LEDs that are compatible with most bulb outage detection circuits. The local Canadian Tire and Walmart seemed to have a few on clearance so I picked up a pair of 194s and a 3175 for the dome light. After installing them I got no error codes or freak outs by the car that I could see and the nice white and white/blue lighting that really starts to make the car look sharp.

Spurred on by this, I picked up a 10 pack of canbus compatible 194 bulbs for the front/rear side markers, cargo light, and tail lights. I also grabbed a 2 pack of canbus compatible 3175 led bulbs for the map lights. Both seemed to have good reviews. All were bought on amazon with links below. I took my time installing them and making sure they lit properly and buttoned everything up nicely leaving me with the majority of the lights on my car now being bright white LED!

Now the horror story part, on getting home from this work and starting to look into if they make canbus turn and reverse lights to possibly bypass the dreaded hyper flash, I start reading about at least some older Imprezas going the same route and canbus led bulbs literally melting harnesses/housings on bulbs that are always on (ie: just about every 194 I put in) or ruining the BIU. Is this the reality of it? Should I be going back tonight and pulling them all back out? I haven't done anything with lights on cars since my 99 Impreza way before this canbus stuff and leds with resistors built in.

Thanks in advance

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B01CON7ZE4/ref=pe_3034960_236394800_TE_dp_1

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B01LZG6S3G/ref=pe_3034960_236394800_TE_dp_2

·
Registered
215 Posts
I thought one of the major benefits of LED over the standard bulbs was they didn?t give off near the amount of heat. I replaced the map lights with LED and just having it on a few seconds while pushing on it prying the plastic cap off the standard light was very hot to the touch. I?d imagine the side marker, reverse etc also get just as hot so if I were guessing I?d say that LED wouldn?t get hot enough to do any damage. Just my guess though.

If you get a chance can you post some pics of the LED taillights side markers and whatever other exterior bulbs you replaced with led?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I ended up pulling all the exterior bulbs I had put in for piece of mind. I only have the Sylvania 194 LED bulbs in the license plate. The rest of the outside amazon ones are on my coffee table. I'll replace all the rest of the outside lights over time with more name brand ones but they aren't as important to me as they are under coloured glass. All the interior ones are also sylvania except the map lights which are the amazon ones and light up like a flash bang. I reasoned that I could live with those as I can easily see if they start to act up in realtime and unlike the external ones, they aren't on full time

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Also,I think most LED bulbs do run cooler but I also got the CANbus ones. To trick the system, the CANbus ones have a resistor in them to mimic the load of a filament bulb. That is fine in theory but the resistor ends up near the connectors heating the socket rather than the air like a traditional filament bulb. Mix that with cheap LED bulbs that don't have a heatsink to move the heat back away from the socket and I couldn't get the image of the ghost riders flaming car out of my head lol

·
Registered
215 Posts
I ended up pulling all the exterior bulbs I had put in for piece of mind. I only have the Sylvania 194 LED bulbs in the license plate. The rest of the outside amazon ones are on my coffee table. I'll replace all the rest of the outside lights over time with more name brand ones but they aren't as important to me as they are under coloured glass. All the interior ones are also sylvania except the map lights which are the amazon ones and light up like a flash bang. I reasoned that I could live with those as I can easily see if they start to act up in realtime and unlike the external ones, they aren't on full time
So the 194 go in the license plate and what other spots do the 194 apply to?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
On a hatch, you'll need 9 194 bulbs. 2 in the fron side markers, 2 in the rear side markers, 2 in the tail lights, 2 in the license plate, and a single in the cargo light. Side note, page 12-16 of the manual, at least the one I have, gives a listing. They are technically w5w but google searching will give you the more common name for them

·
Registered
131 Posts
On a hatch, you'll need 9 194 bulbs. 2 in the fron side markers, 2 in the rear side markers, 2 in the tail lights, 2 in the license plate, and a single in the cargo light. Side note, page 12-16 of the manual, at least the one I have, gives a listing. They are technically w5w but google searching will give you the more common name for them
I'm thinking 11 total if you want to do the map lights? Maybe the map lights aren't 194/w5w? The manual doesn't list anything for the map lights, but I was thinking it sucks because the usual 10 pack of these bulbs will be one bulb short for our cars.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I'm thinking 11 total if you want to do the map lights? Maybe the map lights aren't 194/w5w? The manual doesn't list anything for the map lights, but I was thinking it sucks because the usual 10 pack of these bulbs will be one bulb short for our cars.
Yep, 9 is right. Turns out the map lights (and dome light) all use 31 mm "festoon" bulbs.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I bought these bulbs for the map and dome lights; DE3175
very bright and crisp white light. Will take pictures later and post the link when I get my post count up.

Also replaced the licence plate lights, they are t10.

·
Registered
295 Posts
I ordered canbus ones from SuperBrightLED for my marker lights and license plate lights, and they flickered and died. Called SBL and the guy in tech said that the flicker and failure was due to them overheating, and this was due to the CABUS resister in them. They are replacing them under warranty without any issue. I have CANBUS in the interior, but since they are not on as often as the exteriors they are not failing.

SBL has a bulb finder on their website, has the bulb sizes listed..and if you click on them it will take you to that page. The maps and dome are the same bulb, and on my sedan the front and rear markers as well as the license plate are the same. If you need those sizes let me know.

In regards to the turn and hyperflash, there is not a lot to be done there. The flash comes from the vehicle thinking that one bulb is out due the electric "load" being so low with LEDs. There are usually 2 options, change out the flasher relay for a LED flasher relay or install inline resistors to pull the same amount as the non LEDs. Sadly, the 2017+ Impreza does not have a flasher relay, the flash is controlled by the BCM...so the only option we have is to use the resistors.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts