5th Gen Subaru Impreza Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2019 and I am having a tough time removing the housing. I’m pushing to the center or the car but they just won’t budge they feel stuck and I’m not sure if it’s different on the 19 model. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
10 Posts
https://youtu.be/Mm13Ls0R-0c

I had found this quick video on YouTube
of swapping out the license plate light's for our car's. Looks like an extensive project but would love to hear how your experience with doing so worked out ! Keep us updated.

Hope it help's out.🍻

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks! I’m just trying to replace the bulb but my housing just isn’t budging, curious if anyone else had the same issue on a 2019.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Hrmmm I'm in at 2017 and we did mine at her (Leena's) house and it was really easy.... so not sure about what you're talking about. All we had to do was pop them out and voila.

·
Registered
25 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Hey there, are you taking about a hatch or sedan?
I put leds in my hatch and they were WAY WAY too bright imho... I swapped them out with upgraded filiment bulbs for now. Just mentioning that led selection is important.

Edit: just saw the post above mine... Way easier than pulling the trim and noodling your arm like I did...

Attachments

·
Registered
23 Posts
do you have the sedan or the hatchback? Because I recently changed them in my 2019 sedan and at first I thought you had to remove the housing from the outside but I was mistaken. In my manual it shows that first you have to open the trunk and remove the liner to get to access to the license plate bulbs. It only took me about 10-15 mins total to remove the clips holding the liner in and then find the license plate bulb housing and swap them out. I got my bulbs from amazon and they are working great; looks much better than the factory halogen bulbs.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Thanks for the help guys, just read this in the owners manual for 2019. I guess they changed it and you need to push outward. Gonna try that and see if it works.
Were you able to replace them? Apologies this morning I posted before having my coffee, they do go out then down. It sounds odd but it is pretty slick once you get them out.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Figured it out, you push outward on the 2019 model I guess. I was pushing in ward toward the license plate like all the YouTube videos, it was stuck but I got it to budge.

·
Registered
13 Posts
+1 for a sedan install here. It is very easy to install them from the interior, and the trunk liner can be taken off in a couple of minutes. Make sure you have a flat screw driver handy, it really helps with removing the trim clips easily. Once the trim piece is off, twist the bulb end of the harness to unlock it from its mount. Pop your new bulbs in, and you should be set. Make sure to test the bulbs before putting everything back together since some of the LED bulbs only work uni-directionaly in the socket.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I replaced the lights in my 18 hatch and was able to get them out from the outside following the posted pdf from Subaru. I used a plastic trim remover which made it much easier because you have to push to the side and pull out.

·
Registered
374 Posts
I spent the morning periodically trying to remove mine then searching for answers when I failed. I know how they're in there and how they're supposed to come out... but they wouldn't budge. The gasket was stuck to the metal and no amount of my trying could budge them enough. A tad but not enough.

Finally I made a tool out of an old credit card, cutting a 3/4" strip off, rounding the corners on one end, and filed a nice bevel on it to a sharp edge. Its flexibility allowed it to slip easily under the gasket without damaging it. I gently slid the sharp end under the gasket on the three sides I could get to and pushing and prying the inside end popped loose. Thank goodness! Finally.

Before putting those suckers back in I polished the area the gasket contacts to keep them from sticking again.

I used Osram LEDs and the light is very bright now with a color that matches the LED headlights. Only one LED planned left... Luxeon fog lamps, but no hurries. Necessities first and want-tos later. I like having something to do to my car.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts