5th Gen Subaru Impreza Forum banner

1 - 20 of 107 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thought I'd put this out there to hopefully save somebody a little homework time. Here's what I've used to replace the OEM lights in my 2018 Sport 5 door with LEDs. All of these can be installed without the use of any type of resistors etc. (plug and play).

I'm still working on the front and rear turn signals as they will require some kind of "hyper flash" fix. I'll update the post once I have some recommendations for those.

Headlights (low beam):
Beamtech H11 2-bulb pack
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XHDYTGL/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Headlights (high beam):
Beamtech 9005 2-bulb pack
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XHD4HV3/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Front side markers, rear side markers/taillights, hatch interior light, license plate lights:
Aglint W5W 10-bulb pack (you will use 9 of them)
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MRZ0OZN/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Reverse lights:
iBrightStar 7440/7443 2-bulb pack
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XQWPKKX/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Map lights, Dome lights:
Philips 30mm festoon single bulb pack (you'll need 3 of these)
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00P2D3W00/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Vanity mirror lights:
Zhol 6641 2-bulb pack
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0061TU2JS/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
FYI - The vanity mirror lights are super bright when you replace them with LEDs. I actually ended up switching those back to the regular bulbs.

·
Registered
41 Posts
This is awesome and just what i was looking for!

also, this may be a dumb question, but i can't find the answer. what's the easiest way to remove the dome lights above the rearview mirror? i don't want to risk breaking them and am not sure where to pull from to get the covers off.

also, did you replace the lights on the rearview mirrors? or are those led already (sorry, probably a stupid question)

·
Registered
176 Posts

also, this may be a dumb question, but i can't find the answer. what's the easiest way to remove the dome lights above the rearview mirror? i don't want to risk breaking them and am not sure where to pull from to get the covers off.

also, did you replace the lights on the rearview mirrors? or are those led already (sorry, probably a stupid question)
If I remember correctly, I pried at the edge facing rear of vehicle. Use a slim trim removal pry bar and not a screwdriver - the plastics used these days for bezels are thin and pretty brittle.

If you are referring to the path illumination lights on the side mirrors - those are already led.

·
Super Moderator
1,626 Posts

Hey! There are no stupid questions on this site, the 2017 is the first Global Platform Subie so we all need to learn about it.

Take care.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Thanks so much for the answers! This helps a lot. I'm guessing something like this would do the trick? "BlingKingdom Car Audio Dash Removal Plastic Pry Tools 4pcs" from Amazon. (i cannot yet post URLs since i'm a new member)

two more questions for you guys as i have not been able to find these answers online;

1. When changing out tail light bulbs--is it the same as the 4th Gen Impreza? I found video tutorials online that just had you remove the two plastic screws on the inside of the tail light assembly and then the entire housing slides out?
2. When changing the headlight/corner/side marker lights; there is literally NO ROOM whatsoever on the passenger side due to the air intake assembly being right there. Is there any trick to getting to these?

Thanks again for everyone's help. I am a first time Impreza/Subaru owner. I picked up a 2018 Sport Hatch just this past Saturday. I'm loving it!

p.s. CJ--your Forum Avatar is great!! ;)

·
Registered
2 Posts
2. When changing the headlight/corner/side marker lights; there is literally NO ROOM whatsoever on the passenger side due to the air intake assembly being right there. Is there any trick to getting to these?
Just changed my low beams. The intake assembly is held on by two push clip retainers that look like over-sized Phillips head screws with a washer. If you turn the heads they will pop up slightly and you can use pliers/fingers to remove them; the assembly slides out after that. They are a bit of a pain to reinstall but I found using a small flat head screwdriver did a decent job of guiding them back in.

For the low beams (H11 bulbs) I replaced the blue gasket on the Beamtech bulb with the red gasket from the factory bulb. I wasn't able to get the blue gasket to fit but YMMV. It was also easier to seat the new bulbs and then attach them to the wire harness.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
41 Posts
awesome, thanks afraidofbear! Right now i'm trying to decide between the Beamtech and Opt7 LED lowbeams. The Opt7 seem to be a bit nicer, but at almost double the cost. I've found reviews with positives and negatives of each

·
Registered
176 Posts
I'm guessing something like this would do the trick? "BlingKingdom Car Audio Dash Removal Plastic Pry Tools 4pcs" from Amazon.
That should do it just fine. I prefer the OTC sets but also own a cheaper set and it performs just as well. Use the thinnest edged one. You'll be surprised how easy trim and clip removal is with these tools.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Personally I would choose the Beamtechs again. My reasoning is this:
1. Both Beamtech and Opt7 are offered in 6K color warmth, which is a harsher white/blue than halogen bulbs. I like the lower, yellow color spectrum and would be willing to pay extra for it on a well reviewed bulb.

2. Beamtechs have a simple package. An extended base with passive cooling and a pigtail is the only difference from the stock bulb design; based on reviews and users on this forum, the passive cooling is adequate. Opt7 has a fan built in (not sure if they have different kits without this), a relay and controller that need to be installed somewhere, and excessive cabling in my opinion. This is probably justified if the Opt7 has double the output of the Beamtech but I am happy with the improvement over stock the Beamtech provides for my low beams.

3. Both appear to have plastic mounting tabs. The stock bulbs have metal mounting tabs that have a solid mounting feel. The Beamtechs-and I assume Opt7 from pictures-use plastic mounting tabs that get the job done but don't have the same solid feeling of the stock bulb.

You could always write off $6 for return shipping (assuming Amazon Prime) and try both!

·
Registered
202 Posts
If I remember correctly, I pried at the edge facing rear of vehicle. Use a slim trim removal pry bar and not a screwdriver - the plastics used these days for bezels are thin and pretty brittle.

If you are referring to the path illumination lights on the side mirrors - those are already led.
I used a mini screwdriver with a flat head without damaging anything. Just be careful, or use the pry tool.

·
Registered
41 Posts
wow, thanks everyone so much for the great input! I just bought some trim removal tools, so i'll start tackling the interior lights here as soon as i get those (and the LED bulbs) in the mail. If i understand correctly, i need to pry the dome off of the "map lights" (by the rearview mirror) from the side closest to the rear of my car--inbetween where the dome pushes down and the "hinge" point?

Also, i saw in the original post that replacing the front and rear turn signals will result in a "hyper flash" so that they blink really quickly. Is this currently specific to the type of bulbs OP is using, or all current LED lights in turn signals across the board? Is there any type of dash error light that comes on? Or is it just that they blink quickly?

many thanks again

·
Registered
279 Posts
wow, thanks everyone so much for the great input! I just bought some trim removal tools, so i'll start tackling the interior lights here as soon as i get those (and the LED bulbs) in the mail. If i understand correctly, i need to pry the dome off of the "map lights" (by the rearview mirror) from the side closest to the rear of my car--inbetween where the dome pushes down and the "hinge" point?

Also, i saw in the original post that replacing the front and rear turn signals will result in a "hyper flash" so that they blink really quickly. Is this currently specific to the type of bulbs OP is using, or all current LED lights in turn signals across the board? Is there any type of dash error light that comes on? Or is it just that they blink quickly?

many thanks again
The hyperflash comes from the vehicle thinking that one of the bulbs has burntout due to the low voltage that the LEDs draw. There are 2 ways to fix this, one of them is to put a LED relay in replacing the stock flasher relay and the other is to put resisters inline to "trick" the vehicle into thinking that they are there. SADLY for us, the 2017+ Impreza does not have a flasher relay (the BCM controls the flasher) and therefore the first option will not work for us...leaving the only option being the resistors.

When I did my interior LED changeout I went through SuperBrightLED because I wanted to make sure that I did not get cheap LEDs that would melt. GREAT customer service, had an issue with their bulb selector being incorrect (exterior LEDs are NOT CANBUS) and they swapped them out no problem. I have LEDs in the map and dome, but I am going to have to figure out something because the map lights are too bright to use. Currently they are off and I am just using the dome light. Thinking about possibly changing to a fewer amount of LED chips or changing to red colored LEDs for the map lights.

·
Registered
144 Posts
......... what's the easiest way to remove the dome lights above the rearview mirror? i don't want to risk breaking them and am not sure where to pull from to get the covers off...............
Subaru seems to have just released a kit of three interior LEDS. Yeah, I know, big deal.

BUT the instructions (which are always free) have diagrams of where to pry on all the various dome light fixtures.

https://techinfo.subaru.com/stis/doc/accInstallGuide/H461SFL100 LED Upgrade - Dome and Map Light IxI - 01.pdf

·
Registered
41 Posts
wonderful! Thanks for these. I installed my LED's in my map and dome lights yesterday, as well as the cargo light. Today i'm gonna install the license plate lights.

It looks like the license plate light covers just pop off/slide off like they do in the 4th gen impreza models? I found a good tutorial video on youtube for those.

Lastly, for the taillight bulbs--i'm guessing, similar to the 4th Gen, we need to remove the entire taillight assembly to access those bulbs? And then get to the lights on the actual hatch normally

These look soooo much better. i love them! Now just to decide on which LED Headlights i want to get.

Since the LED Turnsignals hyperflash...has anyone had any luck/experience with the "stealth bulbs" that are silver/chrome coated? I like the idea of them appearing "clear" inside the housing w/o seeing the amber bulb. But i've heard mixed reviews on them.

thanks again to everyone in this awesome community!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello,
I am new to the forum and new to a Subaru! I'm looking to replace the headlights to LEDs and saw this sticky. Has anyone had any issues with these particular bulbs throwing codes to the car because of the low power needed?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Hello Achri6427! I am also new around these parts. I picked up my 2018 Sport just a little over 2 weeks ago on the 2nd.

I have installed ALL of the LED's referenced in this thread (and bought the exact same ones as listed by OP on Amazon) with the exception of the headlights. None of them throw any codes. I believe that all/most of the LED Headlight options come with resistors that prevent any error code from popping up. The interior/corner/reverse/tail lights all work perfectly w/o any issues.

So far, i believe the only issues lies with LED turn signals. They don't throw any codes, but they will hyperflash. I don't know that there are any on the market right now that won't do this. I'm sure you could do a little DIY fix and add some resistors inline with the wiring to prevent the hyperflash, but i'm holding out for a direct replacement

i hope this helps!

1 - 20 of 107 Posts
About this Discussion
106 Replies
38 Participants
IMPREZED
5th Gen Subaru Impreza Forum
Our 5th Gen Subaru Impreza Forum includes discussions on maintenance, issues, service, electronics, audio & more.
Full Forum Listing