5th Gen Subaru Impreza Forum banner
161 - 171 of 171 Posts

·
ModFather
2019 Subaru Impreza Sport 5 Dr. Manual Shift
1,427 Posts
Has anyone tested these yet in an impreza? These are pretty expensive so I don’t wana pull the trigger yet to use as drl’s on my base 2019 or do you need the pwm that they sell along with it?
I wish I had someone local I could pop these in that had an Impreza I could test them on. I'd put one in temporarily just to see if they will dim with the DRL. The only thing I can say is if you get them from Headlight Revolution and they don't work they will refund your money. They took back my anti flicker stuff no problem. It's just that they did not work on our Outback, I have no idea if they will with the Impreza or not. I don't have enough electronic experience and knowledge to say if the DRL system between our 2013 OB and the 5th gen Impreza are the same or not. It's worth a shot but like you say, these ain't cheap. I think they are worth it but not knowing for sure would give me pause too.

·
Registered
12 Posts
For sure man thanks for the input it’s honestly just a little insane there’s like no info on this at all iv traveled far and wide across the vast open world of the net (this forum, youtube, etc) all with no luck lol along with a few other questions for our cars…..kinda sucks that everywhere else in the world the Impreza is sick af and here in the states most everyone just sees it as a point A to B when a few want to dig into the ins and outs of this 5th gen but it seems it all has to be trial and error

·
Registered
2017 Base Hatchback 5MT
98 Posts
The hyperflash comes from the vehicle thinking that one of the bulbs has burntout due to the low voltage that the LEDs draw. There are 2 ways to fix this, one of them is to put a LED relay in replacing the stock flasher relay and the other is to put resisters inline to "trick" the vehicle into thinking that they are there. SADLY for us, the 2017+ Impreza does not have a flasher relay (the BCM controls the flasher) and therefore the first option will not work for us...leaving the only option being the resistors.

When I did my interior LED changeout I went through SuperBrightLED because I wanted to make sure that I did not get cheap LEDs that would melt. GREAT customer service, had an issue with their bulb selector being incorrect (exterior LEDs are NOT CANBUS) and they swapped them out no problem. I have LEDs in the map and dome, but I am going to have to figure out something because the map lights are too bright to use. Currently they are off and I am just using the dome light. Thinking about possibly changing to a fewer amount of LED chips or changing to red colored LEDs for the map lights.
Red or black light would be sweet! Unfortunately OP's posted link for tail/brake lights are unavailable with no resupply in projections. Got Diode Dynamics for hi/lo's and want to do tail/brakes next and finally markers/turn signals unless I can do all for relatively cheap. I like the colored interior LED theme though!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Just wanted to see if they make the H11 High Beam/DRL LED bulbs that do not flicker yet. The information is very confusing out there but it looks like there are none yet. Can anyone confirm please?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Was Wondering if anyone has found a different option than the Aglint 10 pack?
its no longer available on amazon
i found these if anyone can confirm fitment

·
Registered
3 Posts
I personally prefer the Philips LED bulbs, as while they are more money, I have not had a single Philips LED fail in any of my cars - when I used the Chinese LED lights, they would fail rather quickly.

Also the Philips LED brake lights are road legal, which is not something Sylvania has been able to claim on theirs.

·
ModFather
1,427 Posts
Question for people with Beamtech bulbs. I've use a lot of different bulbs but never this brand. I want to get a set for my son's car (not a subaru) but I notice there are a fair number of different types for the same bulb. Personally I like the idea of an active fan for cooling. This is the type I am going to order just checking the type others are using.

Light Gadget Output device Office supplies Automotive design

60W 30mm Heat-sink Base CSP Chips 6500K

Everyone that has them seems to be happy with the way they work I figure I'd give them a shot.

TIA

·
Registered
3 Posts
Fans add complexity, and must be properly designed to survive the rigorous heat and vibrations of living in the engine bay, and when the fans fail, so does the light, as it is relying on the fan to keep it cool. Passive cooling eliminates the fan from the equation.

Also, 99 percent of the Chinese LED lights are not even remotely close to road legal - they are 2-8 times brighter than the road legal standards, and often lack proper focus, meaning if you aim the lights properly, they end up with hot spots entirely on the ground, and not downroad due to the large fuzz at the focus cutoff.

·
ModFather
1,427 Posts
Yes, I agree. No one knows better than I do about cheap bulbs. I've tested lots over the years. I'm currently running MORIMOTO 2STROKE 3.0 in both my high and low beams (I have a Sport version, no DRL issues to deal with) also in my wife's out Outback but only the low beams. I feel these are the best option right now both for the beam pattern and technology. They actively vent the fan's heat inside the headlamp housing. I live where it snows and this can keep the snow from freezing on the lens unlike other LED upgrades that will vent externally.

Automotive lighting Circuit component Font Line Cable

9005: Morimoto's New 2Stroke 3.0 LED Fog Light Bulbs LED1517

I was running the Diode Dynamics SL1 bulbs, also excellent quality. However, I think Morimoto upped the game with the heat management system.

Having said this, I've seen a fair number of members here say how much they like the BeamTech brand bulbs. My biggest concern is beam pattern, I want to see better but not at the expense of blinding oncoming traffic. People with BeamTech say they have a good pattern. This will be dependent on the headlamp housing style of course. In my experience, the reflector style, like my Impreza and Miata, tend to be the hardest to get a proper pattern with a sharp cut off. The LED design really plays a critical role. The projector type seem to be a little more forgiving and are better focused to begin with. This is the style in our Outback. My kids car that I want to put the BeamTech in have the projector style.

As for heat dissipation, I still think forced cooling is better than passive. I realize it adds complexity but I think if it were a huge issue it would be being called out by now. The location of fans in my kids car appear to be protected from water spray and the elements, it's an older Lexus. I don't expect the quality of the BeamTech to be on par with Morimoto but I'm willing to give them a shot based on feedback I've been seeing on the site here.

Product Camera accessory Eyewear Material property Rectangle

161 - 171 of 171 Posts