5th Gen Subaru Impreza Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anybody found good LED bulbs to use in the turn signals and reverse lights?
Will need two each of three different bulbs:
- white/amber "switchbacks" for front parking lights/turn signals
- white for reverse lights
- amber for rear turn signals

I've found lots of LED bulbs online but can't seem to find many that have the necessary can bus trick wiring inside and I'd rather not have to splice into factory wiring or figure out how to get resistor wiring harnesses to fit unless somebody already has found that this is a simple and better way versus the resistors being built into the bulbs.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Has anybody found good LED bulbs to use in the turn signals and reverse lights?
Will need two each of three different bulbs:
- white/amber "switchbacks" for front parking lights/turn signals
- white for reverse lights
- amber for rear turn signals

I've found lots of LED bulbs online but can't seem to find many that have the necessary can bus trick wiring inside and I'd rather not have to splice into factory wiring or figure out how to get resistor wiring harnesses to fit unless somebody already has found that this is a simple and better way versus the resistors being built into the bulbs.
The side marker lights and the license plate lights are NOT canbus! I got CANBUS from SuperBrightLEDs and they flickered and failed, that is when we found that their bulb selector was incorrect with the 2017.

If you need bulb numbers I still have my list from my purchase

·
Registered
7 Posts
Super bright LEDs part # 7440-CW18-T for reverse lights is awesome... I'm still looking for white/jdm yellow switchbacks for front as indicators and drl, and jdm yellow rear turn signal indicators.....

·
Registered
295 Posts
Super bright LEDs part # 7440-CW18-T for reverse lights is awesome... I'm still looking for white/jdm yellow switchbacks for front as indicators and drl, and jdm yellow rear turn signal indicators.....
Note that if you do not have LED already in your turn signals that you will need to use an inline resister to get them to not hyperflash. The 2017 Imprezas DO NOT have a turn signal relay, it is controlled from the BCM...meaning that the tap-a-turn module or any of the DD relays will not work in our cars

·
Registered
112 Posts
These have worked great for me for the past 2 years with no issues. They have load resistors built in.

If you plan on using them front AND rear you will need to add an extra set of resistors. Not sure why, I guess with 2 sets of LEDs and 2 sets of resistors it still isn't enough load. I got these plug in ones so that I wouldn't need to splice.

I have the rear LED turn signals plugged into these and they have done the trick since November 2017. For the rears I covered the housings in red tint film and got the red version of those bulbs. I think it cleans up the look alot.
I've changed pretty much everything to LED. Interior lights, trunk light, vanity lights (I went overboard), turn signals, reverse lights and fog lights. Feel free to asked what fits and works. I had issues with some of the lights I tried initially.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Instead of starting a new topic I have a question of diode dynamics turn signal leds. My question is do I need the extra $10 part for my 2019 sport?

·
Registered
52 Posts
I found out after doing more looking around after my last post, it looks like my ‘19 sport doesn’t have a flasher relay. Looks like I’ll just use inline resistors.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Lots of the newer cars have the flasher built into the BCM (body control module)

·
Registered
112 Posts
Instead of starting a new topic I have a question of diode dynamics turn signal leds. My question is do I need the extra $10 part for my 2019 sport? View attachment 22525
Check out some of the LEDs with built in resistors. Might save you some headache. Or you can actually find pre wired pigtail style resistor harnesses that are plug and play. I've run both for 2 years now and had no issue. My goal was to not butcher factory wiring (if I could avoid it).

·
Registered
112 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Here are my led signals. I wrapped the signal housings in red tint and installed red LED bulbs with built in resistors. I prefer the clean look of the red with the rest of the tail light, but you could buy amber ones as well.
The LEDs that are installed.

Yo, do you happen to have a vid of how your front LED turns look like?

·
ModFather
2019 Subaru Impreza Sport 5 Dr. Manual Shift
752 Posts
I just installed these in the rear indicators yesterday:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07Z7FFNNT/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Simple install they work well, no hyperflashing and I think they look pretty nice too. Chrome appearance until they light up.

LED on the left OEM on the right

both installed in this vid, side note you can see the LED reflector replacements light up in the lower part of the bumper.

I have Diode Dynamics for my back up lights

If you go to this link you can see a little more details on the install of the backup bulbs, about 1/4 way down the page:

Subaru Impreza Sport 2019

·
Registered
4 Posts
These have worked great for me for the past 2 years with no issues. They have load resistors built in.

If you plan on using them front AND rear you will need to add an extra set of resistors. Not sure why, I guess with 2 sets of LEDs and 2 sets of resistors it still isn't enough load. I got these plug in ones so that I wouldn't need to splice.

I have the rear LED turn signals plugged into these and they have done the trick since November 2017. For the rears I covered the housings in red tint film and got the red version of those bulbs. I think it cleans up the look alot.
I've changed pretty much everything to LED. Interior lights, trunk light, vanity lights (I went overboard), turn signals, reverse lights and fog lights. Feel free to asked what fits and works. I had issues with some of the lights I tried initially.
So with a switchback setup, my best bet is to get a set that support CANBUS and those plug and play resistors you linked, right? I want to avoid any splicing as well.

Also, did you run into any issues with the connections on that resistor set, such as it not fitting in the housing/connector?

·
Registered
2019 Impreza 5 dr. auto, limited
45 Posts
Not sure about the halogen headlights, but with the LED housings, the front turn signals are a 7444NA bulb in a 7440 socket (2 wire, signal only) with a proprietary (or at least not universal) twist lock tab pattern.

I'm currently trying to have a plug & play (w/ 1 t-tap splice) way to make the front turn signals use 7443 switchback bulbs. I just haven't had the time to designing the adapters yet.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I just installed these in the rear indicators yesterday:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07Z7FFNNT/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Simple install they work well, no hyperflashing and I think they look pretty nice too. Chrome appearance until they light up.

View attachment 23304

View attachment 23305
View attachment 23306

LED on the left OEM on the right

both installed in this vid, side note you can see the LED reflector replacements light up in the lower part of the bumper.

I have Diode Dynamics for my back up lights
View attachment 23307 View attachment 23308

If you go to this link you can see a little more details on the install of the backup bulbs, about 1/4 way down the page:

Subaru Impreza Sport 2019
What did you use for the front? They look neat.

·
ModFather
752 Posts

·
Premium Member
128 Posts
I just installed the same ones you did @peaty to the front as well as the back all the same bulbs. I did get hyperflash odly couple times but it went away haha kinda odd it's intermitting not sure what is going on I knew I pushed them in all the way maybe a link connection. I tried to get it to hyperflash again and could not so guess it's fine lol.

·
ModFather
752 Posts
How hard was it to get them into the front light assembly. I only looked briefly but it looked tricky.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts