5th Gen Subaru Impreza Forum banner

LED turn signal and reverse light - What bulbs?

14K views 33 replies 15 participants last post by  THCue 
#1 ·
Has anybody found good LED bulbs to use in the turn signals and reverse lights?
Will need two each of three different bulbs:
- white/amber "switchbacks" for front parking lights/turn signals
- white for reverse lights
- amber for rear turn signals

I've found lots of LED bulbs online but can't seem to find many that have the necessary can bus trick wiring inside and I'd rather not have to splice into factory wiring or figure out how to get resistor wiring harnesses to fit unless somebody already has found that this is a simple and better way versus the resistors being built into the bulbs.

#3 ·
The side marker lights and the license plate lights are NOT canbus! I got CANBUS from SuperBrightLEDs and they flickered and failed, that is when we found that their bulb selector was incorrect with the 2017.

If you need bulb numbers I still have my list from my purchase

#5 ·
Note that if you do not have LED already in your turn signals that you will need to use an inline resister to get them to not hyperflash. The 2017 Imprezas DO NOT have a turn signal relay, it is controlled from the BCM...meaning that the tap-a-turn module or any of the DD relays will not work in our cars

#6 ·
These have worked great for me for the past 2 years with no issues. They have load resistors built in.

If you plan on using them front AND rear you will need to add an extra set of resistors. Not sure why, I guess with 2 sets of LEDs and 2 sets of resistors it still isn't enough load. I got these plug in ones so that I wouldn't need to splice.

I have the rear LED turn signals plugged into these and they have done the trick since November 2017. For the rears I covered the housings in red tint film and got the red version of those bulbs. I think it cleans up the look alot.
I've changed pretty much everything to LED. Interior lights, trunk light, vanity lights (I went overboard), turn signals, reverse lights and fog lights. Feel free to asked what fits and works. I had issues with some of the lights I tried initially.

#15 ·
So with a switchback setup, my best bet is to get a set that support CANBUS and those plug and play resistors you linked, right? I want to avoid any splicing as well.

Also, did you run into any issues with the connections on that resistor set, such as it not fitting in the housing/connector?

#10 ·
Check out some of the LEDs with built in resistors. Might save you some headache. Or you can actually find pre wired pigtail style resistor harnesses that are plug and play. I've run both for 2 years now and had no issue. My goal was to not butcher factory wiring (if I could avoid it).

#11 ·
#14 ·
I just installed these in the rear indicators yesterday:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07Z7FFNNT/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Simple install they work well, no hyperflashing and I think they look pretty nice too. Chrome appearance until they light up.

LED on the left OEM on the right

both installed in this vid, side note you can see the LED reflector replacements light up in the lower part of the bumper.

I have Diode Dynamics for my back up lights

If you go to this link you can see a little more details on the install of the backup bulbs, about 1/4 way down the page:

Subaru Impreza Sport 2019

#17 ·
I just installed these in the rear indicators yesterday:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07Z7FFNNT/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Simple install they work well, no hyperflashing and I think they look pretty nice too. Chrome appearance until they light up.

View attachment 23304

View attachment 23305
View attachment 23306

LED on the left OEM on the right

both installed in this vid, side note you can see the LED reflector replacements light up in the lower part of the bumper.

I have Diode Dynamics for my back up lights
View attachment 23307 View attachment 23308

If you go to this link you can see a little more details on the install of the backup bulbs, about 1/4 way down the page:

Subaru Impreza Sport 2019
What did you use for the front? They look neat.

#16 ·
Not sure about the halogen headlights, but with the LED housings, the front turn signals are a 7444NA bulb in a 7440 socket (2 wire, signal only) with a proprietary (or at least not universal) twist lock tab pattern.

I'm currently trying to have a plug & play (w/ 1 t-tap splice) way to make the front turn signals use 7443 switchback bulbs. I just haven't had the time to designing the adapters yet.

#19 ·
I just installed the same ones you did @peaty to the front as well as the back all the same bulbs. I did get hyperflash odly couple times but it went away haha kinda odd it's intermitting not sure what is going on I knew I pushed them in all the way maybe a link connection. I tried to get it to hyperflash again and could not so guess it's fine lol.

#21 ·
Very easy the hardest was the battery side. Just unbolt that front on and move the battery over an inch or so for your hand and fish it in with you fingers not so bad. The other side was very easy just remove the cold air intake thing on the front that goes to the filter and you have a clear path almost about 5min total.

#25 ·
Keep in mind, the bulbs I used in the rear are strictly used for indicators AKA blinkers, single element. The front amber bulb has two elements. It's both an indicator, bright and a marker low light. So if you do install it in the front, you will not have the marker light function. I've looked but have not been able to find a double element LED that would fit and work well.

#29 ·
I've found an LED bulb by a company I've had good luck with in the past. The front amber indicator is also a marker light double filament incandescent 7444NA. While I ahve a feeling paired with my LED rear amber indicator single filament, this may hyperflash, I'm going to give a set a try anyway. You know, for Science. They have two versions, one is an amber indicator (blinker) and white marker light, the other is amber for both which is the stock way and what I've ordered.

So amber amber front indicator/ marker

7440 7443 LED Bulb Amber Yellow with Projector for Turn Signal Bulbs Blinker Lights

Amber / White:

AUXITO 7443 7440 Switchback White/Amber Turn Signal Lights, 7444 LED Bulbs with Projector

When I get them and give them a try I'll follow up.

FYI discount code for 10% off there: LED10

#31 ·
will do, I also found them (less expensive of course) on amazon. Seems they will most likely need ballast resistors. When I ordered them direct from the company before, headlamps LED's for my Miata. They sent me the resistors free. While the resistors do work, I'm not a fan of how hot the resistor metal gets. I mean I knew they would get warm but they get hot enough to melt plastic and or the insulation on wires. I mean hot enough to blister a finger. At least the headlamp ones. Maybe not the 25W marker lights tough.

#33 ·
Okay as promised, I did get the bulbs and the weather has cooperated and I checked them out. I have a link with photos etc, but spoilers, they hyperflash :( I'm not sure I'm up for installing resistors to get these to work. When I first tired them out it was with the hazards and there was no hyper-flashing which was encouraging.; However, when used as indicators only, they would hyperflash on all bulbs on that side. It may be due to having the LED in the indicator in the rear too.

Auxito Amber / Amber - Marker / Indicator LED

Reactions: Beingyoung
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.