5th Gen Subaru Impreza Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought 5th gen Impreza as my true first car to own, because I love Subaru!

However, I feel like I've encountered way too much issues for 1 month old car. So far I had:

-Radio frozen, must restart car to work again (fixed from update)
-USB will disconnect when I shut my car down
and will not load until re-plugin, on both flashdrive and Android (on going issue)
-Auto cruise freezes in middle of usage(will get fixed next week)
-Won't make the sound of beeping when passenger is not using seatbelt (just happened today)

Is this normal? I feel like I got a bad batch. I know Subaru makes quality car. I think.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Well, if you look around the forum you will find you're not the only one with these woes, but there are a lot of other folks who are happy with their cars.

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
@seaweedsalad...take it back to the dealer and have them check all of your cars electronics for firmware updates...especially your radio to ensure your car is running the latest and greatest software. I had them take my car back into the service bay before I officially picked it up and paid for it...hooked it up to a computer with me watching and went through every electronics module in the car looking for and executing the updates. This was only 3 weeks ago. To date, the car has been flawless and the 2018 model is identical in every way to the 17's except the 18's will automatically turn your headlights on when you activate your windshield wipers (a new law in many states). Could it be a Lemon? Maybe...but you may just need a few updates. In the end, we are very happy with this car.

·
Registered
730 Posts
I bought 5th gen Impreza as my true first car to own, because I love Subaru!

However, I feel like I've encountered way too much issues for 1 month old car. So far I had:

-Radio frozen, must restart car to work again (fixed from update)
-USB will disconnect when I shut my car down
and will not load until re-plugin, on both flashdrive and Android (on going issue)
-Auto cruise freezes in middle of usage(will get fixed next week)
-Won't make the sound of beeping when passenger is not using seatbelt (just happened today)

Is this normal? I feel like I got a bad batch. I know Subaru makes quality car. I think.
Have you taken it to the dealer for any of these issues? It's considered a lemon when it's brought to dealer 3 times or more for same issue & it cannot be fixed - right?

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
@1stsubie...every state has their own requirements for what constitutes a LEMON. Not a one size fits all.

·
Registered
157 Posts
What security guy said. Lemon Laws vary by state.

To the original poster, I had to Lemon my first Impreza Sport, which was built in early January 2017, due to infotainment issues that Subaru was not able to get fixed via 5 visits to the dealer, the last one being 10 days straight in.

Not a fun experience.

No matter what the in your state, you should really try to get it fixed until you've obviously met the state threshold and are certain they cannot fix it.

What state are you in?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What security guy said. Lemon Laws vary by state.

To the original poster, I had to Lemon my first Impreza Sport, which was built in early January 2017, due to infotainment issues that Subaru was not able to get fixed via 5 visits to the dealer, the last one being 10 days straight in.

Not a fun experience.

No matter what the in your state, you should really try to get it fixed until you've obviously met the state threshold and are certain they cannot fix it.

What state are you in?
I'm in Ohio. I know USB issue is small, but if they can't fix it I may claim one. I've been going for 4th time and on Tuesday's 5th visit they will be fixing Auto Cruise issues, I'll ask again about the USB.
Listening to music is one, but using Android auto for navigating is another. It's frustrating whenever I had to stop for gas and had to reconnect everything.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Have you taken it to the dealer for any of these issues? It's considered a lemon when it's brought to dealer 3 times or more for same issue & it cannot be fixed - right?
Although Subaru says they'll replace them when they can't fix for 3rd time, I'd say that depends on severity of the issue. Small thing like USB may require 8th full visit for lemon law in Ohio to apply.

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
Good luck my friend and keep us all posted related to how this turns out.

·
Premium Member
2017 Mazda CX-5 Sport
2,186 Posts
When I took my car in yesterday for an oil change I asked them to perform all infotainment updates.

The service tech. said there were none.

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
You can check yourself to see what version you have and compare that to what?s posted. If they match great. If they don?t you were lied to.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ok guys, my car is back. In terms of cruise control issues, it was the Break switch, as some other people had.

In terms of USB, I was pissed that tech people blamed on me that I had faulty flashdrive, even after 5th visit to complain the issues (also the 5th times telling me that I was the one who had faulty flashdrive), and the fact that they knew the issue with USB socket gets really hot and didn't do anything about it.

I sort of had to threatened them
"So I need to stop using USB from now on if the USB gets so hot that you can't touch." They told me "no you can still use it". Bullshit.
"I build computer and one of internal Pcie USB socket was faulty, got so hot that it nearly fried my USB. I ain't using if that's what's on my car."
Then they offered me if I want to replace USB unit. I feel like that should have been on repair list.

Before I leave, they told me to rate their performance 10/10. I told them, ironically, "yeah, I'll rate 10/10"

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Please excuse me about the last post. I was very frustrated about how dealer handled the problem.

So the dealer tech noticed that USB under armrest is heating up so hot that you could burn your finger. (to my surprise, they believed it was my flashdrive's fault so they didn't fix it) Anyone had issue like this?

·
Premium Member
2017 Mazda CX-5 Sport
2,186 Posts
Please excuse me about the last post. I was very frustrated about how dealer handled the problem.

So the dealer tech noticed that USB under armrest is heating up so hot that you could burn your finger. (to my surprise, they believed it was my flashdrive's fault so they didn't fix it) Anyone had issue like this?
That is just wild to me, I am certainly NO type of electrical engineer but isn't a usb reader something that has no power cycled through it? Why would it be creating heat?

·
Registered
196 Posts

I checked my thumb drive after about 30 minutes of the car being on and it was barely warm. I wasn't playing anything off of it, however. Does this happen to you during access or is it always hot even when not reading it?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I checked my thumb drive after about 30 minutes of the car being on and it was barely warm. I wasn't playing anything off of it, however. Does this happen to you during access or is it always hot even when not reading it?
I mean, if you count endless "loading media" as reading USB, then I suppose yes. But I never had such an issue with other USB device, and even on rental 2017 impreza they gave me while fixing cruise control such issue never happened.

·
Registered
196 Posts
I mean, if you count endless "loading media" as reading USB, then I suppose yes. But I never had such an issue with other USB device, and even on rental 2017 impreza they gave me while fixing cruise control such issue never happened.
Was trying to see if I can replicate your issue and see if this is universal or just you. Looks like it's just you. I'd put a different thumb drive in there, go back to them and tell them look - still hot. Replace it.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Was trying to see if I can replicate your issue and see if this is universal or just you. Looks like it's just you. I'd put a different thumb drive in there, go back to them and tell them look - still hot. Replace it.
No worries, I've done it 2 times, 3rd being buying a completely new one. Still doing it. It took some talking but they agreed to order USB component to replace them.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts