5th Gen Subaru Impreza Forum banner

What tire size is on your lifted Impreza?

• 215/60/16

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 205/60/16

• 205/65/16

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you run a lifted Impreza with a bigger tire size, which size and how does it perform? Acceleration / mileage are my main interest.
I’m just like fully in research mode for what size tires to get on my premium rims - and if I get impatient I might just replace my perfectly fine stock contis.

main contenders for me are:
215/60/16
215/65/16

do you run another size?

·
Registered
85 Posts
For the record. A two inch lift will not clear bigger tires. Look at where it rubs and measure down two inches.

I have a set of 205/65/16 snow tires I throw on for winter sometimes that clear with no problem. Obviously no lift.
IMG_4331.jpeg

I screwed around while putting of the mud flaps and threw on my Xtrek's 215/75/15 mudder. I think with some trimming, it would fit on the front too.

IMG_1052.jpeg

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wait, you’re saying it won’t clear bigger tires, but then you’re showing that it will.

·
Registered
2019 Impreza 5 dr. Island Blue Pearl Limited
123 Posts
I believe he means that it has a 2in lift, but the vehicle is currently on a jack/jackstands on the body. So the suspension is at full droop, thus maximum clearance. So it looks like the tire would fit, but only if there was a ton more lift. So at ride height, the 215/75/15 tire won't fit without a lot of rubbing or cutting.

Reactions: Eric Z

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok. It just didn’t seem to make sense that he flat said ‘bigger tires won’t fit’ but maybe he’s saying bigger than 215/65/16.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Ok. It just didn’t seem to make sense that he flat said ‘bigger tires won’t fit’ but maybe he’s saying bigger than 215/65/16.
No. I said a two inch lift won't help you clear bigger tires.
And I said that they might clear on the front (where the rubbing tends to happen) with some cutting and bashing or something like that.
The pic I showed was of the rear.

Very last time I try to help you. :)

·
Registered
2017 Impreza Sport
33 Posts
Here is mine i just lifted. Car is sitting on 215/70/15 with 2" Rallitek lift kit. Yes, the front inside at the bumper will rub but its nothing a dremel cant fix.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Forgive my naivety as I am new here...

But is there a rule of thumb for clearance and suspension height? Such as:

With stock height you can fit a max size of X tire without rubbing.
With a 2” lift you can fit Y.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
12 Posts
Like the OP, I am also curious about putting larger AT tires on the Premium rims and was curious how it will affect the fuel economy, acceleration and overall driving experience.

·
Registered
2017 Impreza Sport
33 Posts
Like the OP, I am also curious about putting larger AT tires on the Premium rims and was curious how it will affect the fuel economy, acceleration and overall driving experience.

There is hardly any "noticeable" difference going from 225/40/18 Sport Wheels, to 215/70/15. If you want to get specific, the new wheel setup is 3lbs less per wheel then factory, so 12lbs less rotating mass also.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
No. I said a two inch lift won't help you clear bigger tires.
And I said that they might clear on the front (where the rubbing tends to happen) with some cutting and bashing or something like that.
The pic I showed was of the rear.

Very last time I try to help you. :)
So what about all the others who’ve said the lift achieves 27” tires? I have a 1.5 - 1.85 lift and it’s preeeetttty obvious I can go bigger than stock.

·
Registered
185 Posts
If you worried about your acceleration and fuel economy then lifting your car and putting on big tires is probably not the best idea for you. It will affect both and not positively, but for those of us that are doing this for the fun Factor then it shouldn't matter very much, or at least it doesn't for me.

As far as clearance, if you go much beyond 27 in tall tires you're going to have clearance issues between the front bumper and fender front to back. It's true that adding a lift isn't going to help you clear bigger tires because you are going to run into space issues front to back before height is even a factor.
Now, if you're the creative type then just pull out your old friends Dremel and sawzall and get to work and you should be able to fit 28in tires all around. I have 27s on mine, but I'm running hella big spacers "50mm" that caused a visit to rub town (not in a good way) whenever I went full lock. This time I pulled out a box knife, a hammer and some big a** channel locks to roll the rearmost part of the fenders near the door.
It's been great since then.
I think the moral to the story is you can fit as big of a tire as you want to fit.
20210406_104711.jpg
20210406_104731.jpg
20210406_152804.jpg
20210406_152738.jpg
20210406_155042.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
If you worried about your acceleration and fuel economy then lifting your car and putting on big tires is probably not the best idea for you. It will affect both and not positively, but for those of us that are doing this for the fun Factor then it shouldn't matter very much, or at least it doesn't for me.

As far as clearance, if you go much beyond 27 in tall tires you're going to have clearance issues between the front bumper and fender front to back. It's true that adding a lift isn't going to help you clear bigger tires because you are going to run into space issues front to back before height is even a factor.
Now, if you're the creative type then just pull out your old friends Dremel and sawzall and get to work and you should be able to fit 28in tires all around. I have 27s on mine, but I'm running hella big spacers "50mm" that caused a visit to rub town (not in a good way) whenever I went full lock. This time I pulled out a box knife, a hammer and some big a** channel locks to roll the rearmost part of the fenders near the door.
It's been great since then.
I think the moral to the story is you can fit as big of a tire as you want to fit. View attachment 25522 View attachment 25518 View attachment 25520 View attachment 25519 View attachment 25521
Thanks for the response. I guess it seems like I’m asking because I want the same fuel economy and acceleration. I don’t. I understand these will be factors but I do want to try to know what I am getting myself into. If someone says they’re running 215/60r16 geolandars and returning 19mpg I am just not going to do that. I do too many cross country drives. So I am just seeking numbers - we have cars that calculate gas mileage so what is your car saying? You, Subanoob are running a significantly more aggressive setup than I am considering but your numbers will still provide interesting data.

my main question is as I am considering going between 215/60r16 and 215/65r16, are any people out there running these sizes and what is the car telling you your gas mileage is? Obviously I know the car will not be correct but if we get numbers it’s fairly simple to calculate the actual fuel economy. I’m guessing acceleration will ‘feel’ more sluggish but if the tire is no bigger than a crosstrek stock tire it shouldn’t be making that big of a difference or make the car undriveable...

·
Registered
2017 Impreza Sport
33 Posts
Thanks for the response. I guess it seems like I’m asking because I want the same fuel economy and acceleration. I don’t. I understand these will be factors but I do want to try to know what I am getting myself into. If someone says they’re running 215/60r16 geolandars and returning 19mpg I am just not going to do that. I do too many cross country drives. So I am just seeking numbers - we have cars that calculate gas mileage so what is your car saying? You, Subanoob are running a significantly more aggressive setup than I am considering but your numbers will still provide interesting data.

my main question is as I am considering going between 215/60r16 and 215/65r16, are any people out there running these sizes and what is the car telling you your gas mileage is? Obviously I know the car will not be correct but if we get numbers it’s fairly simple to calculate the actual fuel economy. I’m guessing acceleration will ‘feel’ more sluggish but if the tire is no bigger than a crosstrek stock tire it shouldn’t be making that big of a difference or make the car undriveable...

This is the gas mileage difference with 215/70/17

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
That seems wholly reasonable. Especially give that you’re actually traveling further than it indicates.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts