5th Gen Subaru Impreza Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I am trying to install a subwoofer for my base model (4speakers) system. I got the amplifier hooked up and running but am not getting any signal from the RCA off the line out converter. I'm trying to troubleshoot what went wrong and wanted to see if anyone knows the wiring diagram for the rear speakers from the head unit? I spliced out the gray+/red- and green+/white- cables for the L/R rear speakers from the head unit connector.

Thanks

·
Registered
104 Posts
Heyo, here is the diagram that came with the harnesses that I used for my build.
Screenshot_20200308-200308.png

Red is ignition, if you have an LOC that requires power Like an Audiocontrol LC7i then you can use that for the signal wire to turn it on and the yellow for power. Otherwise just leave those alone.
You are only interested in white, grey, green and purple. The green and purple are in a smaller second harness. If all you want is two channels for a subwoofer then just focus on the white and grey.
I don't know if it matters to you know since you spliced already but our head units connect with a common Toyota harness that you can get for cheap on Amazon.
Screenshot_20200308-202833.png Screenshot_20200308-202806.png
I got both of these, connected all the wires, made pigtails off of the channels that I needed and just plugged one end into the factory head unit and the other into the factory harness. Splice free!

Let me know if you have any more questions. I did a full build with speaker replacements, subwoofer and 2 amps. I've spent too much time behind that head unit.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the detailed and quick reply, that was very helpful. Based on your diagram, it seems like Green and Purple are the (+) that I need to tap into for the L/R rear speakers and the black lined through the same colors represent (-). And based on the connectors on the picture, it seems like the smaller plug contains all the wires for the Rear Speakers. If that is the case, I tapped into those wires exactly corresponding to the rear speakers. I am still not getting a signal, perhaps I received a defective line out converter?
that is the converter I have. I was wondering what is the reasoning to tap into white and grey if according your diagram, it corresponds to the front speakers.

Thanks!

·
Registered
104 Posts
Thanks for the detailed and quick reply, that was very helpful. Based on your diagram, it seems like Green and Purple are the (+) that I need to tap into for the L/R rear speakers and the black lined through the same colors represent (-). And based on the connectors on the picture, it seems like the smaller plug contains all the wires for the Rear Speakers. If that is the case, I tapped into those wires exactly corresponding to the rear speakers. I am still not getting a signal, perhaps I received a defective line out converter?
View attachment 22936 that is the converter I have. I was wondering what is the reasoning to tap into white and grey if according your diagram, it corresponds to the front speakers.

Thanks!
Are your speakers still working for those channels? If so then how are you tapping into the wires?
Are you using these?
TTK_TAP1822_300__57385.1458728106.jpg
If so then I wouldn't trust them to make a firm connection.
Do you have a multimeter to check continuity? Check to make sure you are getting continuity through the LOC. The inside of the barrel connection is positive I believe and the outside negative.
If you can confirm that the LOC has continuity through all four connections and those speaker channels are still okay then I would make a firmer connection to those wires. If you know how to solder then cut the wires (cringe) slide some heat shrink down the wires then solder the wires back together with your new signal wire, slide the heat shrink over the connection and apply heat.
Sorry if this explanation is either over your head or underestimating you. I'm not sure what your skill level is with wiring so I figure I'd get in as much as I can in one post.
The green and purple wires will do fine. I only recommended the front channels so that if you have any balance set in your mixer settings on the head unit the sub will always match the front speakers.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The speakers still currently work, I am going to recheck the connections when I have time tomorrow. It seems like the voltmeter I have right now is not working properly, have to pick up a new one for sure. Thanks for the useful information and your help, I will definitely ask more questions as I troubleshoot!

Thanks

1 - 5 of 5 Posts