5th Gen Subaru Impreza Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Administrator
785 Posts
Congrats! I have the same car. The red looks awesome. I'm getting mine tinted tomorrow. Which sill plates are you installing?

·
Registered
357 Posts
Same here too. I can't tint mine due to stupid NY tint laws. But tint looks great with the red.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm still looking but most likely the "Impreza" sill plate from Subaru the dealership is hooking me up with some accessories for dropping the ball a few times

·
Registered
357 Posts
NY doesn't allow any aftermarket tint?
I just read the law again. For some reason my dealer kept telling me it was illegal.
Perhaps they just didn't want to do the tint job. Probably best to get it done at a reputable tinting place anyhow.

But for New York State: The windshield and front side windows cannot block more than 30% of the light. Or,
Seventy percent or more of the light from the outside must pass through the window.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Oh speaking of the Lithium Red color. If you'd look into the reflection of the sun in the paint, it will shine out some purple specs. I thought that was pretty neat.
Tried to get the camera to pick them up.

·
Administrator
785 Posts
Oh speaking of the Lithium Red color. If you'd look into the reflection of the sun in the paint, it will shine out some purple specs. I thought that was pretty neat.
Tried to get the camera to pick them up.

I can see them. It's a really nice color. Glad I chose red over silver.

·
Registered
778 Posts
I just read the law again. For some reason my dealer kept telling me it was illegal.
Perhaps they just didn't want to do the tint job. Probably best to get it done at a reputable tinting place anyhow.

But for New York State: The windshield and front side windows cannot block more than 30% of the light. Or,
Seventy percent or more of the light from the outside must pass through the window.
Most dealerships don't do window tint anyway, they farm it out. We actually do our dealerships tint all the time. But for them to sell it we have to do it to the legal limit for NC. I did see earlier this year that NY changed their tint law and that was just stupid. The laws are in place simply to make each state money when they write you a ticket. It has nothing to do with "officer safety" any other reason they may try to tell you. But even doing a 70% on the front doors will render your car illegal in terms of the law, as these cars come with solar tint made into the glass already. Although it is slight at best, it is still not completely clear glass. For instance, GM, Ford and Toyota come from the factory with 70% solar glass. I am pretty Subaru falls into that as well.

Reactions: tripswitch

·
Administrator
785 Posts
[iurl="http://www.impreza5.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=2193&d=1496184036"]
[/iurl]

[iurl="http://www.impreza5.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=2201&d=1496184036"]
[/iurl]

Lithium Red looks great with tint...
What tint percentage is that? Looks pretty dark.

·
Registered
778 Posts
it is Suntek CXP 18% on all the sides and rear and Suntek CIR 70% on the windshield. yes, it is dark...but that is what my wife wanted...lol

Reactions: Maverick

·
Registered
357 Posts
Most dealerships don't do window tint anyway, they farm it out. We actually do our dealerships tint all the time. But for them to sell it we have to do it to the legal limit for NC. I did see earlier this year that NY changed their tint law and that was just stupid. The laws are in place simply to make each state money when they write you a ticket. It has nothing to do with "officer safety" any other reason they may try to tell you. But even doing a 70% on the front doors will render your car illegal in terms of the law, as these cars come with solar tint made into the glass already. Although it is slight at best, it is still not completely clear glass. For instance, GM, Ford and Toyota come from the factory with 70% solar glass. I am pretty Subaru falls into that as well.
yea your right it does have some tint from the factory, but do we know that the true value is?

·
Registered
778 Posts
I got to agree -- the tinting looks pretty dark. I know from experience that New York is one of those states where it is risky to over-tint. You got to pass annual inspection at DMV with this vehicle, and the front-side windows will be tagged as illegal and your registration tabs will not be renewed. A simple common-sense test would be to have your wife sit in the driver's seat and in natural light check if you can see her while standing 6 feet away from the car. If you cannot make out her facial expressions or what she holds in her hand, then it matter of time before you get caught.

On the topic of tinting.... there are two ways of doing this: (1) Treating the glass, something that the Subaru factory would be able to do (2) Stick the film on the window. Without going into the details, let me assert that the former method is far superior. Unfortunately, when I asked my dealership whether Subaru factory would change the tint level for customer ordered car, the answer was a firm NO. Some of the third party shops that stick tint film often do not take into account that the original Impreza comes with a low-level tinting and that adds to the tint level to put them over the legal limits in many states.

FYI, here is the NY State press release on this topic effective Jan this year: https://dmv.ny.gov/press-release/press-release-01-13-2017

yes, her car is too dark for our state laws as well, but I work in a tint shop so I will take it off to get it inspected and then reapply it. perks of the job, I don't have to pay for the tint or labor. she knows the chances of getting a ticket, but a happy wife is a happy life, right? lol

as for "treating the glass". NOBODY around here does this anymore. basically it is the equivalent of painting your windows however dark you want. it looks horrible and makes cleaning your windows a pain in the arse. you can buy aftermarket glass that is smoked, but that is actually done when the glass is baked so it won't scrape or scratch off over time. just like the privacy glass that comes on SUVs and trucks. manufacturers don't do this to all their cars for the fact that each state has a different tint law and there is no way they would spend the money to make sure each state got the proper cars with proper tint on them.

we use the proper film and take into account for our states tint law to make sure the people who want legal tint are well within the legal limits and won't get hassled by the law and they will pass inspection. for instance, our law here is 32% of light, or more has to pass thru the glass on cars. we use a 45% film to adjust the factory "slight tint" that comes on most cars and still be legal. but you would be surprised with how many cars, trucks and SUVs we tint that people want illegal tint. it isn't an exact science, but we have been in business for almost 25 years and we haven't found a better method of tinting yet...

·
Registered
778 Posts
yea your right it does have some tint from the factory, but do we know that the true value is?

without putting a light meter on it there is no way to know. you can have your vehicle inspection station do that for you. I would guess it is around 70%, but it might be lighter.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts