5th Gen Subaru Impreza Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Manual 4-door Base
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I already have installed LED bulbs instead of the halogens but I really want to have something similair to the LED lines/boomerang/c light whatever you call them on the higher trim imps.

I asked my dealership and they said they could do a full assembly swap and install the proper oem ones from the limited, but told me it would be very expensive (around 2500 CAD) and that i should be able to find something better online.

Having almost no experience in modding or working on headlights, im finding it hard to know what im looking for.

The closest thing I can find is this Profile Pixel DRL Boards - 17+ Impreza w/ LED Headlights

But im not sure if that is only for the headlights that already have the LED strips, or if that can be installed in base headlights like mine.

I've read the other threads here about headlight upgrading but its left me with more questions than answers..
So im sorry for making another headlight post.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Yes, unfortunately that DRL board will only work with the LED headlights that come on The limited model. At this point you're two options are to buy a set of the limited headlights which I've seen on eBay for between $400 and $600, or you can go ahead and do a projector retrofit. I don't know if you're familiar with that, but it involves putting your headlights in the oven to soften the adhesive and then gently prying the lenses off. From there you would need to install the projector housings. The retrofitsource.com is a really good source for the needed items. Most of the projectors that you will find involve cutting the reflector housing and figuring out a way to mount the projector securely. The more straightforward way is to buy the morimoto h1 projectors. They have a screw in base which goes through the housing where the bulb used to be. You will also need to buy an HID kit which includes bulbs and ballasts. I don't know if there is an option for c lights, but I don't think it's that big of a deal to have them. After they are assembled you'll need to heat up the lights again. You can either use the adhesive that's already on there, or buy butyl tape. Retrofit source does also have a couple options for screw in LED projectors. They are a bit pricey and I can't vouch for their output.
On my previous car I did this exact same conversion with 55 watt bulbs. I currently have an Impreza limited and I can say that the hid lights on my last car are at least three times brighter than the LEDs on my Impreza, and have a wider field of view.
DM me if you have any questions about this and I'll do my best to help.

·
Registered
2020 Manual 4-door Base
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, unfortunately that DRL board will only work with the LED headlights that come on The limited model. At this point you're two options are to buy a set of the limited headlights which I've seen on eBay for between $400 and $600, or you can go ahead and do a projector retrofit. I don't know if you're familiar with that, but it involves putting your headlights in the oven to soften the adhesive and then gently prying the lenses off. From there you would need to install the projector housings. The retrofitsource.com is a really good source for the needed items. Most of the projectors that you will find involve cutting the reflector housing and figuring out a way to mount the projector securely. The more straightforward way is to buy the morimoto h1 projectors. They have a screw in base which goes through the housing where the bulb used to be. You will also need to buy an HID kit which includes bulbs and ballasts. I don't know if there is an option for c lights, but I don't think it's that big of a deal to have them. After they are assembled you'll need to heat up the lights again. You can either use the adhesive that's already on there, or buy butyl tape. Retrofit source does also have a couple options for screw in LED projectors. They are a bit pricey and I can't vouch for their output.
On my previous car I did this exact same conversion with 55 watt bulbs. I currently have an Impreza limited and I can say that the hid lights on my last car are at least three times brighter than the LEDs on my Impreza, and have a wider field of view.
DM me if you have any questions about this and I'll do my best to help.
Thanks a lot, that helps give an idea of my options. Definitely sounds like its easier to buy the limited headlights but I cant seem to find any on kijiji or ebay at the moment.

Retrofit sounds like a heck of an undertaking for someone as little experienced as I am.

Also, I could be wrong, but I recall hearing in a video that the 2020 headlights are actually different from 2017-2019 im terms of shape/size. I think it was one of Raiti's reviews. Is there anyway to verify that?

·
Registered
2020 Manual 4-door Base
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks a lot, that helps give an idea of my options. Definitely sounds like its easier to buy the limited headlights but I cant seem to find any on kijiji or ebay at the moment.

Retrofit sounds like a heck of an undertaking for someone as little experienced as I am.

Also, I could be wrong, but I recall hearing in a video that the 2020 headlights are actually different from 2017-2019 im terms of shape/size. I think it was one of Raiti's reviews. Is there anyway to verify that?
Actually i think this might be it ?

·
Registered
137 Posts
I definitely felt overwhelmed when I did that retrofit, but you just have to take your time. Probably the best way to find out would be to go to the Subaru site and look for part numbers. Look for headlights for the 2020 and see if it shares the same part number as the 17 18 and 19.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Best prices I could find on eBay. Definitely not cheap, after I first bought my car I remember looking them up and they were $700 a piece. The headlights from the 2017 and up and the 2018 and up Crosstreks are the same so don't worry if the listings are for both cars.

·
Registered
137 Posts
What I did with my last car was buy the cheapest third party halogen lights that I could find and use those for a retrofit instead of messing up my factory ones.
Unfortunately there aren't any companies that felt compelled to make nice aftermarket headlights like the ones you can find for a WRX. Subi speed even has LED tail lights for the Forester, 4th generation Imprezas and WRXs. It's a shame we got left out.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I'd like to think that my car is one of the most modified impreza's on this site. I've taken apart most of the trim and panels on the inside, including all of the sound system, and done much of the mechanical maintenance and exhaust. I've also done full LED conversions throughout the car. So if you need any suggestions or tips let me know. I enjoy being the guinea pig.

·
Registered
2020 Manual 4-door Base
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I definitely felt overwhelmed when I did that retrofit, but you just have to take your time. Probably the best way to find out would be to go to the Subaru site and look for part numbers. Look for headlights for the 2020 and see if it shares the same part number as the 17 18 and 19.
Thanks, I'll check that. This is made all the more confusing because Canada and US have different trim names apparently.

Also, pretty much all the headlights on eBay are sold as left and right separately, so I might have to buy one each from 2 different sellers possibly and hope they match up. This is not gonna be easy, it seems 😔

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction... ill see what I can dig up.

Maybe ill have to look into the retrofit after all. If you have any specific videos or links for our vehicle headlights, id appreciate that.

·
Registered
2020 Manual 4-door Base
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'd like to think that my car is one of the most modified impreza's on this site. I've taken apart most of the trim and panels on the inside, including all of the sound system, and done much of the mechanical maintenance and exhaust. I've also done full LED conversions throughout the car. So if you need any suggestions or tips let me know. I enjoy being the guinea pig.
Yea I have a lot of questions so ill just PM you 😅

·
Registered
137 Posts
Unless you really want something "different" I'd Just get Limited projectors. OEM Baby🤙
That's true, but besides having the boomerang lights and a factory look you don't really gain anything. The steering response system wouldn't work anyway. You can get at least twice the output going with a retrofit and using HIDs versus LEDs. The output on my old lights was ridiculous.
Horrible picture but it gives you the idea. I went for a blacked out look, but you can really do it however you want.
20180318_164009~2.jpg

·
Registered
21 Posts
There is a guy on IG that did the conversion although, he didn't post his install yet and it's been a year or so. But I can't find his account anymore tho. I also called a few retrofit places in Socal for a quote and its upwards $900 depending on the complexity and style you're going for.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts