5th Gen Subaru Impreza Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2019 impreza hatch currently has a resonator and muffler delete, and I do enjoy the sound it has, but it’s a little too loud and high pitched. I’m still pretty inexperienced when it comes to working on the car, but I’m a huge rally fan and I’d love to have a little more of a deeper and more rumbly exhaust (as well as possibly a little quieter😅). I know I could throw in some unequal headers to try and replicate some of the sti rumble, but I know most shops won’t touch anything beyond the cat due to the emissions. Any recommendations?

· Registered
2022 Sport 5-Door
404 Posts
I mean, aside from headers there isn't much you can do. STi models are turbo charged, and even they get very well custom mods for rallying. If it's exhaust you're looking at, get a set of UEL headers, and have a muffler shop fab up a new resonator and muffler if it's not to your liking.

Anything else done to the exhaust, like removing your cat would not only be illegal, and in plenty of states/cities, exceed noise regulations - but also be poor on engine performance as removing the catalytic converter would ruin any O2 readings and in turn ruin your Air/Fuel mixture. Don't do that.

As it goes, if it's an STi rally car you want, that's probably what you should go buy instead of a commuter vehicle. If your Impreza is your daily driver, and you don't have a backup vehicle, then it's probably not worth going through the expenses to make it a rally racecar.

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yea, definitely. I don’t plan on going full rally, just looking for a bit of a more rally inspired sound. You’re definitely right in buying something a little bit more appropriate for a true rally car, but thank you for the advice

· Registered
'22 Impreza Sport Sedan w/ CVT
118 Posts
I did a nameless 5” axleback and a vibrant performance resonator. Check out my IG @rlyslo_impreza and in one of the pinned posts I have a short exhaust clip. I did a res delete with this axleback but was still too high pitched. This I feel was a happy medium without spending the amount of money to do a UEL right on these cars

· Registered
2018 Impreza Limited
184 Posts
I think there's a lot of videos out there today of this car given we are at the 6 year mark for this generation. I would recomend looking around and seeing what others did to get that sound. I posted a thread about my progress going syms muffler, then AVO UEL headers, then nameless mid pipe. You can hear the progression as to what each part did. You can go UEL also and not be super loud. The AVO full echuast is not that loud. There muffler really quiets things down it seems because with the syms muffler and headers, I'm at 110db at 4k rpms.

If you wana hear my setup: http://instagr.am/p/Cnk0SyzKXyz/ @eyepreza

1 - 5 of 5 Posts