5th Gen Subaru Impreza Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
2017 Impreza Hatchback Base
48 Posts
I bought my 17' Base Impreza from an auction with front end damage. I bought the parts and did the repair myself, all in all I have around $9500. Mileage was around 43k, I think their asking price is way out there. I'm sure you can find a clean title one for a better price. Do get the vin and check the history on it.

· Registered
2017 Impreza Hatchback Base
48 Posts
It may be worthwhile to mention that Insurance companies, to save time/money, sometimes declare entire LOCALE's as "flooded" and every vehicle within that locale is paid off. (instead of 'adjusting' every vehicle individually)

The ins. companies also go to great lengths to recoup losses by selling the vehicles in bulk or auction. The point is NOT ALL OF THE VEHICLES IN THAT LOCALE MAY HAVE BEEN FLOODED. It is those NONflooded vehicles which are often a bargain if you can find one becasue they still go to the auction and get bought by savvy re-sellers.

I agree that it is best to purchase with the intent to drive it into the ground.... resale of "reclaimed" title vehicles may not be easy.

------------------------------
My brother worked in the insurance industry for a very long time. He told stories of how they recoup losses.
EXAMPLE: The cargo of SUGAR on a ship was insured.... it was found that a glass bottle had become broken in the hold of the ship within the sugar. The insurance was paid out on the ENTIRE ship full of sugar. .... however, to recoup losses the insurance company sold the sugar to company who dissolved the sugar in water and micro-filtered it into syrup. The syrup was approved for use in animal feed.
I bought a Dodge Neon years ago that was branded as flooded. Only damage was a dent on the hood and the motor was locked up. Turned out there was rust on the top of one of the pistons and whoever bought it before me tried starting the car and broke the rod. Replaced the motor and hood and the car ran great with no electrical issues. I know its off topic 😁

1 - 2 of 2 Posts