5th Gen Subaru Impreza Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
806 Posts
They are asking for the price of $16,500and it has 39000 Miles with a Salvage Title. Is it worth it or not?
All I can say is that in 2018, I bought a "salvage title" 2017 with under 5,000 miles on it for around $16K.

I believe it was a brand-new car sitting on a dealers lot when it was deemed 'flooded'. The floor-mats were still in their factory plastic shipping wrap. Several other 'hints' suggested it was an un-sold brand new car.

I bought it at local independent (not Subie ) dealer who SPECIALIZES in flood-recovery vehicles. (Travels all over nation to bring back auction vehicles)

Just turned over 40K miles and needed 2 rear wheel bearings (flood-recovery vehicles often need wheel-bearings prematurely... depends on how deep the water got)

I feel that I STILL came out ahead cost-wise even with the wheel-bearing replacement... heck, I have already driven it 4 years and 35K miles replacing only oil and brakes.

At the time I bought it, brand-new 2017s from local Subie dealer were about $19K. The way I look at it is that I gave up the security of a warantee and saved $3k. (I can fix a LOT of things for $3k)

· Registered
806 Posts
Reasons a salvage title is issued:
  • Flood damage: Floodwaters can severely damage the electrical and mechanical systems of a car, and salt water can rust the undercarriage.
  • Riots: Riots often leave burnt or severely damaged vehicles in their wake. In most such cases, the affected cars are totaled and declared total losses.
  • Hail or windstorm damage: Major hail storms and tornadoes can severely damage a vehicle, often resulting in a total-loss designation.
  • Stolen vehicles: Car thieves rarely take good care of the cars they joyride. Even if no accident occurs, that abuse can cause such serious damage that the vehicle is written off.
If you do buy a salvage title you should plan on driving it for life as another resell is exremely difficult.
It may be worthwhile to mention that Insurance companies, to save time/money, sometimes declare entire LOCALE's as "flooded" and every vehicle within that locale is paid off. (instead of 'adjusting' every vehicle individually)

The ins. companies also go to great lengths to recoup losses by selling the vehicles in bulk or auction. The point is NOT ALL OF THE VEHICLES IN THAT LOCALE MAY HAVE BEEN FLOODED. It is those NONflooded vehicles which are often a bargain if you can find one becasue they still go to the auction and get bought by savvy re-sellers.

I agree that it is best to purchase with the intent to drive it into the ground.... resale of "reclaimed" title vehicles may not be easy.

------------------------------
My brother worked in the insurance industry for a very long time. He told stories of how they recoup losses.
EXAMPLE: The cargo of SUGAR on a ship was insured.... it was found that a glass bottle had become broken in the hold of the ship within the sugar. The insurance was paid out on the ENTIRE ship full of sugar. .... however, to recoup losses the insurance company sold the sugar to company who dissolved the sugar in water and micro-filtered it into syrup. The syrup was approved for use in animal feed.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts