5th Gen Subaru Impreza Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been looking for a sporty car that is big enough to carry a car seat and suitable for large grocery trips. I have driven forester xt, Acura ILX, impreza limited and the new Civic Si. The available power is a little underwhelming in the impreza but I like the interior and the space it offers.

·
Registered
149 Posts
it is roomy. I moved from a 2014 ford focus, and with 2 child seats in the back, there is plenty of room to spare, leg room is definitely better, plus my 5 door's trunk is big. I carry sports and photography equipment and I could still load 6-7 grocery bags without a problem.

But yes, it is very underpowered. plus the CVT (if you plan on getting auto transmission), has 7 gears which makes the engine rev very low, so you either have to floor the pedal, and hurt your gas consumption, or constantly shift down 2 gears just get it going.

I also think that you can't beat the price. for what you pay you get a lot.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I agree it is good value for money. Our other car is an outback and therefore we have been used to have lots of room for people and cargo.

I test drive an impreza limited today and liked the transmission and shifting. It's better than the one in my 2010 outback.

·
Administrator
785 Posts
I specifically chose the Impreza 5dr for the AWD capability and cargo space. If Subaru still made the WRX in a 5dr then that would have been the car for me. In the end since they don't I couldn't justify sacrificing cargo room for more power. It was a difficult decision, but practical I guess.

Subaru is definitely missing out on a specific audience looking for the above. I think over the next few years we might see an Impreza Sport with more power (maybe 180?) offered in both 4dr and 5dr. The only way this won't happen is if Subaru decides to bring back the WRX 5dr.

If people keep asking for something like this it could happen one day.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Same here- I would have got a WRX if it was available as a hatchback. I would have gone with CVT instead of manual because it is more livable if your drive in traffic. I wouldn't mind driving the Civic Si because the manual transmission is easier to shift.

·
Administrator
785 Posts
The acceleration seems a little slow. However I'm still in my break in period so I'm intentionally not putting the pedal to the floor just yet.

·
Registered
157 Posts
CVT acceleration around town is fine

How's the acceleration on highways when you have to pass or merge?
I find the "around town" acceleration is fine with the CVT. A recent trip to the mountains of SW Pennsylvania were fine even with the car loaded up for vacation. The 60 to 75 mph highway pass is where I notice that the car is a bit slower than some of my more recent cars.

Consumer Reports claimed a 0-60 time of 9.5 seconds - that's not too shabby. I've driven 60s and 70s VW Beetles where the answer to that question was how long to get to the nearest long downhill stretch!

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks. I tested the navigation app and eyesight features on my 100 mile drive back and really them all.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts