5th Gen Subaru Impreza Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My passenger low beam headlight is throwing off lots of stray light and glare. This is for the halogen reflectors on the Premium trim. I can see the center cone is too far from the reflector and you can just see the bulb filament from the side. There's no adjustment for this so it had to be made out of tolerance from the supplier.

It's at the dealer now for them to look at. I did my best to explain it to them and supplied a pic too. Hopefully they won't blow me off as it is an unusual problem.

On the plus side they gave me a '17 Outback Limited loaner. Driving that home made me really appreciate my Impreza. The Outback is so much nosier from the engine and road noise. The seats are not as comfortable either. Subaru really did their homework redesigning the Impreza.

Attachments

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Grrrr, Dealer said it was normal and as designed. They said they checked another Premium trim and it did the same thing. I realize that's all they can do but now I question is there a batch of bad headlight housings or did Subaru engineers really sign off of this design. It's the worst light pattern I've ever seen.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oh, and the fog lights are not on. The pic shows just the passenger low beam. I have the driver side covered over.

I'd be grateful if other Premium owners could check their light against my pic and see if it's the same.

·
Registered
730 Posts
My passenger low beam headlight is throwing off lots of stray light and glare. This is for the halogen reflectors on the Premium trim. I can see the center cone is too far from the reflector and you can just see the bulb filament from the side. There's no adjustment for this so it had to be made out of tolerance from the supplier.

It's at the dealer now for them to look at. I did my best to explain it to them and supplied a pic too. Hopefully they won't blow me off as it is an unusual problem.

On the plus side they gave me a '17 Outback Limited loaner. Driving that home made me really appreciate my Impreza. The Outback is so much nosier from the engine and road noise. The seats are not as comfortable either. Subaru really did their homework redesigning the Impreza.
Sorry to hear about your issue. I have the Sport trim & have not noticed anything like your issue. Both headlights are level & there's no glare. From your picture, that doesn't look normal so maybe there's an issue with the headlight itself or possibly the bulb but doubtful its the bulb. Maybe take it to an independent mechanic & see if they could take a look before returning to the dealer again.

·
Registered
157 Posts
My headlights show the same pattern

Checked my Premium model Impreza halogen headlights for your observed pattern and mine looks much the same. The light scatter that shoots off to the right seems to come from a 1/2 inch band/row of prisms at the extreme right of the lens. Looks like its there on purpose - but for what??? I don't have a Consumer Reports subscription anymore but they do test the headlights now - it seems to be a pet peeve of theirs. Try a peek at a news stand copy and see if there are results for the Impreza. I'm thinking I read some preliminary test results that they liked them!

While night driving I actually thought my Impreza Premium headlights did a better job than most of my previous cars. Really hated the sharp cut-off of my last cars high intensity lighting. Best lighting ever was my 2002 Mazda Protege 5 - had the nose and lights from the Mazdaspeed Protege - now if it only had a softer ride. Thing was nicknamed the Nauseamobile by my daughter. Worst lights ever? Try a 61 VW Bug. I think I remember a 6 volt electrical system and it was not even the old sealed beam headlights of the era but a little bulb in a socket. Thank god for young eyes and a slow car.

·
Registered
6 Posts
.. I don't have a Consumer Reports subscription anymore but they do test the headlights now - it seems to be a pet peeve of theirs. Try a peek at a news stand copy and see if there are results for the Impreza. I'm thinking I read some preliminary test results that they liked them!...
Another source of headlight performance is at iihs.org. They now evaluate headlights them as well.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Hummm... Not so great a halogen headlight after all!!!

Another source of headlight performance is at iihs.org. They now evaluate headlights them as well.
I guess I really had terrible headlights before as iihs.org only gave the Impreza lower trim halogen headlights a M score for marginal. The high beams seem to OK. I bet the Good rating I thought I saw was for the LED projector lighting on the upper trim levels. Thanks for the info on the site.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I have a Limited 5-door....I've had two oncoming vehicles "flash" me with their high beams thinking my low beams were high beams....these things are REALLY BRIGHT! If they are even a little "off", they can be seen by others as mis-aligned.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I have a 5 door sport and my passenger headlight has a weird pattern as well. I'd say it is inline with how yours are. I also noticed they dim and brighten a lot while driving at night even without the defroster etc running. Easily noticed while coming to a stop behind someone where you can see the reflection just before coming to a stop they will dim and then brighten back up in a second or two. Does it randomly while in motion as well but a bit harder to detect. Rather annoying. Was told it is normal.

·
Registered
308 Posts
"normal" is definitely the go-to answer... I would call Subaru head customer service and file complaints. Those guys are the only ticket to really getting anything done and taken care of. If you could take little videos or pictures and what not and send it to them, it helps a lot with your claim.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
"normal" is definitely the go-to answer... I would call Subaru head customer service and file complaints. Those guys are the only ticket to really getting anything done and taken care of. If you could take little videos or pictures and what not and send it to them, it helps a lot with your claim.
I did email Subaru thru their contact form 2 days ago. I haven't heard back from them yet. I'll give it a few more days then I suppose I'll call. I'd sure like someone from their engineering team to look at my photo.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts