5th Gen Subaru Impreza Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got a used 2020 Impreza Sport, and I'm not necessarily enjoying a sound that's relatively comparable to a base Camry. I really love the unique sound of the Subaru Rumble, and I'm wondering if there is a relatively low-cost way to get that sound. I'm not necessarily looking for loud (I'm not an attention kind of dude, but I know what I like to hear), just a more bassy sound. Any recommendations would be great. Thanks!

·
Registered
2017 Toyota 86, 2020 Impreza
71 Posts
The exhaust manifold/header is where the rumble comes from.
The factory header is equal length. You would need to get a unequal length header. Unfortunately there is no cheap way to do that. You need to replace the header and front pipe on this car as the factory part is one piece.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The exhaust manifold/header is where the rumble comes from.
The factory header is equal length. You would need to get a unequal length header. Unfortunately there is no cheap way to do that. You need to replace the header and front pipe on this car as the factory part is one piece.
That's good to know. Any recommendations on headers/manifolds?

·
Registered
'21 Sport Hatch CVT Ocean Blue Pearl
23 Posts
If you're vehicle still has any kind of warranty that you're looking to keep, just an axle-back muffler change will make a difference.

Here's a couple of examples. I'm rocking the Borla on a '21 Impreza Sport, myself. I like the look of the Nameless more, but the Borla has zero drone which I like. When you hang in the 1500-2500 and again over 4000 RPM ranges, the Borla opens up nicely. A lot of people prefer the Nameless especially for the looks, and it sounds great as well.

Both of these will run you about $400-500 new without any sales, but it will limit any chance of a dealer trying anything related to warranty issues (especially if you go doing anything that's cat forward) while getting you some of that great Subaru throatiness out of the car.

·
Registered
2019 Impreza 5 dr. Island Blue Pearl Limited
119 Posts
Shouldn't have any issues with warranties due to aftermarket exhaust as long as it's only cat-back. Anything non-oem before the catalytic converters could pose a warranty issue, depending on what the issue is.

Reactions: longboy

·
Registered
71 Posts
That's good to know. Any recommendations on headers/manifolds?
Haven't done active research on what's currently available on this platform but I believe AVO made/makes a header and front pipe. You need to replace both on his platform.

Good chance you'll throw a CEL with out a tune when changing these parts. You'll be in a few grand before it's all said and done.

·
Registered
407 Posts
There was a guy a year or 2 ago who drilled through the ends of his stock muffler in a couple of places with one of those long drill bits contractors use to send cables through walls, and then he plugged the holes. Maybe you can find that post if you search.....

·
Registered
84 Posts
Unequal length headers sound great, but only harm performance:

·
Registered
71 Posts
Unequal length headers sound great, but only harm performance:
WRX/STi are different animals as they are turbocharged. Much different scenario on these NA applications.
They also mention in conclusion on the street with turbo applications, heat associated with UEL are negligible.

The cat delete will net the most gains. Considering there is next to zero aftermarket options for this platform a single cat delete UEL will be an improvement. Probably not a huge gain on this engine given it runs at lower compression. Maybe 10whp with proper tuning?

I net around 15-20whp running a catless UEL on my 86. Makes more power everywhere compared to stock.

·
Registered
6 Posts
There was a guy a year or 2 ago who drilled through the ends of his stock muffler in a couple of places with one of those long drill bits contractors use to send cables through walls, and then he plugged the holes. Maybe you can find that post if you search.....
I was thinking a ghetto way would be to drill a "weep hole" below the exit pipe on the muffler. That would allow some air to escape before it get pushed back to the resonator chamber portion. With a step drill bit you could just keep making it as large as needed until you get the sound you wanted.

·
Registered
2019 Impreza Premium Hatch CVT
195 Posts
Only Legit way is here:
Not saying it doesn't do the job, but not exactly "low cost" at $844. Also, if someone hasn't done much wrenching before, I doubt that replacing headers/exhaust manifolds on a boxer 4 is gonna be that easy for a DIY (or very cheap for a shop to do).

To the OP, what kind of budget are you looking at? As mentioned, Borla has an axleback exhaust for $455. Nameless has a muffler delete single outlet option for $199 or a 5" muffler axleback kit for $274. Just throwing out some options-

·
Registered
20 Posts
I have a Nameless 5” catback for sale if you are interested.
I just got a used 2020 Impreza Sport, and I'm not necessarily enjoying a sound that's relatively comparable to a base Camry. I really love the unique sound of the Subaru Rumble, and I'm wondering if there is a relatively low-cost way to get that sound. I'm not necessarily looking for loud (I'm not an attention kind of dude, but I know what I like to hear), just a more bassy sound. Any recommendations would be great. Thanks!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Look into nameless performance I have the muffler on my 17 Impreza sport 4dr sounds amazing. Should definitely check out the review videos.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts