5th Gen Subaru Impreza Forum banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Has anyone removed the lower grill section on their Sport? I ordered a 22in LED Light Bar that I'm hoping to install there but id like to save the plastic grill piece that's there in case I want to reinstall it. I circled the section im talking about in the picture below
View attachment 24701
I just took a Dremel on the left and right edge of the horizontal piece and pulled it out. There are a couple of holes on a metal brace behind there that you can mount your bar to. I figured it's a pretty cheap part to replace and even if I don't it doesn't look that bad with that piece missing. There are worse things you could cut.
I did take the entire piece out including the frame one time and it's a b**** to do. The clips are very long and it fits in tight and it's difficult to do without yanking on the front fascia to bend it a bit and give you wiggle room.

·
Registered
2017 Impreza Sport MT
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Alright, I got the bar Installed. Pics coming tomorrow once I get her washed up and picture-worthy. It was fairly easy to install. I'd say 6.5/10 on the difficulty scale.
I ended up just removing the front bumper to get access to the lower grille area. Like Subarik mentioned, removing the actual lower grille insert piece is as simple as popping the clips out and it slid out no problem. I went ahead and just drilled the 2 holes straight into the bumper using some tape to keep from scratching the paint. I ran the wire for the bar directly up into the upper grille area between the the bumper and the Styrofoam piece behind the bumper.
(I wanted to mount the light bar further back into the grille but it actually wouldn't quite fit with the brackets attached so I guess I can be happy with the placement.)
I'd say the hardest part of the of the whole install was finding a place in the firewall to run the power switch into the cabin. (I'll take a pic where I ran it since I honestly am not sure what its called).

·
Registered
2017 Base Hatchback 5MT
12 Posts
I haven't looked that closely but I suspect you'd have to remove the bumper. Keep in mind that area has a set of louvers that open and close to manage the cooling air so it's not just a regular open area. There will be mechanical and electrical bits in that area. I guess you can remove that stuff but it will mess with your cooling somewhat.
I don't recall seeing such controls or mechanisms any of the times I've had my front bumper off. You can technically punch it out while mounted, but would be much easier by removing the bumper entirely (6-10mm screws and the rest are pop it screws -
).

·
ModFather
2019 Subaru Impreza Sport 5 Dr. Manual Shift
978 Posts
The louvers are only in the Sport and Premium apparently. The OP has a sport is the only reason I mentioned it.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts