5th Gen Subaru Impreza Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So as far as what we have available for the 5-door lowering suspension options I have seen RS-R Down Sus lowering springs, H&R lowering springs, and BC Coilovers. Were they any more options that anyone knows of, installed and had driven experience's with them?

Please share if you have had experience's with either set. I'm looking for a subtle drop, about an 1" to 1.5" that rides like OEM. I used to be about that Extremely low Hella Flush life but I think i'm growing out of it and want to keep thing's simple. TIA :wink2:

RS-R DOWN SUS SPRINGS = $279
Front -25mm to -30mm (-1.0in to -1.2in)
Rear -20mm to -25mm (-0.8in to -1.0in)

H&R Sport Springs = $269
Approx. Front Lowering: 1.2 in.
Approx. Rear Lowering: 1.2 in.

BC BR Type Coilovers = $995
Adjustable Height and Dampening

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I would love an answer to this question, but do the springs just replace the stock I suppose?
Yes, it usually requires removing the original suspension, Strut + Spring and removing the OEM springs with a spring compressor and then replacing with new springs.

·
Registered
73 Posts
If the coilovers are seriously in your consideration I highly recommend going with the Megan Racing Street Series coilovers. They're amazing.

·
Registered
19 Posts
If the coilovers are seriously in your consideration I highly recommend going with the Megan Racing Street Series coilovers. They're amazing.
I didn't even knnow megan racing made them for our cars. I use to have Megan's on my 96 Miata and loved them. Do you have a link to the coilovers? And pictures of your ride height? :wink2:

·
Registered
73 Posts
I didn't even knnow megan racing made them for our cars. I use to have Megan's on my 96 Miata and loved them. Do you have a link to the coilovers? And pictures of your ride height? :wink2:
No problem, the link is below.
Megan Racing Street Series Coilovers
My car is the one pictured. Depending on what you want to be adjustable there is a cheaper option here which is also offered from Megan Racing.
My entire suspension was tested and fit for Megan Racing and there are more products coming soon, if you have any more questions about what other parts are on or suggestions let me know.
I currently have the street series on my vehicle and its about another 1.5" lower than on the pictures on their website. I can put the car on the floor if I want to (literally) and can raise it up higher than stock if need be.
If you want more pictures I can post them but I'll probably have to wait until the weekend to get time to upload them on here.

·
Registered
31 Posts
It seems that RSR and H&R only have lowering springs for the Sport model. If I have the premium model, is there something I need to do with the struts first to get them "sport tuned"? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I'm hearing some stories from a few folks about the coilovers needing to be maintained for seizing up once a year or so. Have you guys had the same experience?

·
Registered
342 Posts
I'm hearing some stories from a few folks about the coilovers needing to be maintained for seizing up once a year or so. Have you guys had the same experience?
Driving in Chicago coats everything in salt for 4 months a year, I can't imagine a coil over working after 1 winter.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Thanks - that's makes me lean towards springs. If I can just figure out what this "secret sport tuning" entails, I can maybe DIY it or somehow match it from spare parts.

·
Registered
2019 Impreza 5 dr. auto, limited
61 Posts
Thanks - that's makes me lean towards springs. If I can just figure out what this "secret sport tuning" entails, I can maybe DIY it or somehow match it from spare parts.
The sport tuning is probably just the compression and rebound dampening rates set for a firmer, more responsive suspension setting. Instead of a more comfortable, softer setting. But that's just all a guess without actually having two different sets.

I've noticed that in my 5dr limited, there's a particular spot on the local highway with two quick rolling bumps from an undercrossing. The first one will cause a bit of underdamping as it bounces a little thereafter (like an older luxury car), but as soon as I hit the second one, the car will immediately plant itself without any unwanted bouncing.

Could be due to the distance between the bumps and/or the speed of the vehicle.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Yeah, seems to be a mystery no one knows the answer to. I've looked through a ton of forum discussions and many have been scratching their heads.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts