5th Gen Subaru Impreza Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wanted to post about my driving experience with the 2017 Impreza manual. I found it very hard shifting. It felt extremely awkward and clunky. I thought maybe I needed to get used to it, so I took it out on 3 different test drives and did not enjoy it at all. I had someone else test drive it and they could not get it to shift smoothly either. I really wanted a manual that's why I kept driving it hoping it would magically do better. I am coming off of driving the manual Honda Civic so maybe I am just spoiled as it really shifts nice. I have not owned an automatic in 15 years and didn't care to ever have one again, but after driving the CVT in the new impreza I have changed my mind. It was a much better driving experience than the manual. Maybe down the road they will upgrade to a 6 speed and add a turbo like Honda did, but right now it seems like the automatic is the best choice in the Impreza.

·
Registered
6 Posts
We just bought a Manual on Satuday, and we also traded in a 2013 civic 5 speed on it. I will say at first it was a little clunky shifting as well. We actually test drove it 3 times as well, twice the wife, and once me. By the end of the weekend it is a lot more smooth. I feel shifting is a lot more crisp then the civic and the civic more truck like. I do enjoy driving it and kinda wish it had a turbo tho.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I wanted to post about my driving experience with the 2017 Impreza manual. I found it very hard shifting. It felt extremely awkward and clunky. I thought maybe I needed to get used to it, so I took it out on 3 different test drives and did not enjoy it at all. I had someone else test drive it and they could not get it to shift smoothly either. I really wanted a manual that's why I kept driving it hoping it would magically do better. I am coming off of driving the manual Honda Civic so maybe I am just spoiled as it really shifts nice. I have not owned an automatic in 15 years and didn't care to ever have one again, but after driving the CVT in the new impreza I have changed my mind. It was a much better driving experience than the manual. Maybe down the road they will upgrade to a 6 speed and add a turbo like Honda did, but right now it seems like the automatic is the best choice in the Impreza.
Did you drive the sport with the manual or was it the base 2.0i? I think that the sport includes the short shift kit that is a subaru parts option for their 5spd cars.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Actually all they had in manual was the base. I never got to experience the sport version. I just assumed it was the same and the dealer said it would be. I really love shifting. Also, the version of the car I wanted was a Sport Tech in Canada and that is only available in automatic. That also influenced my decision.

·
Registered
215 Posts
I know this thread is old but the first 3 weeks of my ownership I really wasn?t happy with the MT. The starts were rocky and bumpy and I attributed it to me and the way I was driving. I slowed down the starts and it smoother out but wasn?t completely smooth. The other day I decided to turn the incline assist off and it makes all of the difference. Every start is silky smooth now. I don?t know if the hill incline engages at different degrees from a soft brake to a hard brake but with the hill assist turned off the starts and shifts to 2nd are 1000% better.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I know this thread is old but the first 3 weeks of my ownership I really wasn?t happy with the MT. The starts were rocky and bumpy and I attributed it to me and the way I was driving. I slowed down the starts and it smoother out but wasn?t completely smooth. The other day I decided to turn the incline assist off and it makes all of the difference. Every start is silky smooth now. I don?t know if the hill incline engages at different degrees from a soft brake to a hard brake but with the hill assist turned off the starts and shifts to 2nd are 1000% better.
How were you able to to turn the the incline assist off?

·
Registered
177 Posts
Rtm

Owner's Manual, pages 7-42 through 7-43.

Edit: I typed "RTM" in all-caps as the subject, but this never-ending "let me HELP you" nonsense "corrected" it (in another post's subject line, it left "USB" alone).

·
Registered
142 Posts
I have mine turned off in my 5-speed. I'm not sure if you need the engine running or if you can do it with just the electronics on, i did it in my drive way with the engine running.

hold the traction control button for like 60 seconds. (it feels like forever). you will see the hill climb dash light come on meaning it is off. That's the one thing i wish would not stay on but I'm living with it.

as for the shifting of gears feeling clunky, i hadn't notice that all since i test drove my car. i test drove it from 3-12 miles on the odometer. bought the car that night, and picked it up after work the next day with 13 miles. I've gotten smooth shifts every time. I'm looking into getting the short shift kit in mine. but its just the same 5-speed short shift kit that is available to the older model Subaru 5-speed vehicles.

·
Registered
215 Posts
I watched a YouTube video on how to do it. You start the car and hold down the traction control button for about 1 minute. The hill assist light will turn on. As soon as it does let go, push the button in again then immediately shut the car off. Then restart the engine and the light should be illuminated, meaning it?s turned off.

·
Registered
215 Posts
I have mine turned off in my 5-speed. I'm not sure if you need the engine running or if you can do it with just the electronics on, i did it in my drive way with the engine running.

hold the traction control button for like 60 seconds. (it feels like forever). you will see the hill climb dash light come on meaning it is off. That's the one thing i wish would not stay on but I'm living with it.

as for the shifting of gears feeling clunky, i hadn't notice that all since i test drove my car. i test drove it from 3-12 miles on the odometer. bought the car that night, and picked it up after work the next day with 13 miles. I've gotten smooth shifts every time. I'm looking into getting the short shift kit in mine. but its just the same 5-speed short shift kit that is available to the older model Subaru 5-speed vehicles.
I?m under the impression that the sport comes standard with the short shift installed. I never did a build online for the sport, only the base since that?s what I originally ordered. I can?t seem to find one way or the other if it?s standard option or not. Now the 2018 are on the website and the sport is standard with the short shift. Do you have the base model MT?

·
Registered
142 Posts

I?m under the impression that the sport comes standard with the short shift installed. I never did a build online for the sport, only the base since that?s what I originally ordered. I can?t seem to find one way or the other if it?s standard option or not. Now the 2018 are on the website and the sport is standard with the short shift. Do you have the base model MT?
Yeah I have the base. That's pretty dope about the '18 sport coming with the short throw. The subaru brand one is only like 360 retail I think. It's not too bad and installing them are pretty simple I've put one in my old Celica. And a couple on my friends cars. I've never done one in a subaru though. Could be different.

·
Registered
215 Posts
[/QUOTE]Yeah I have the base. That's pretty dope about the '18 sport coming with the short throw. The subaru brand one is only like 360 retail I think. It's not too bad and installing them are pretty simple I've put one in my old Celica. And a couple on my friends cars. I've never done one in a subaru though. Could be different.[/QUOTE]

Subarupartsforyou.com should have it even cheaper than from Subaru. And it?s OEM there as well. Every option subaru sells they sell for much much cheaper. Now to try and find out if the ?17 came stock with it also.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Yeah I have the base. That's pretty dope about the '18 sport coming with the short throw. The subaru brand one is only like 360 retail I think. It's not too bad and installing them are pretty simple I've put one in my old Celica. And a couple on my friends cars. I've never done one in a subaru though. Could be different.[/QUOTE]

Subarupartsforyou.com should have it even cheaper than from Subaru. And it?s OEM there as well. Every option subaru sells they sell for much much cheaper. Now to try and find out if the ?17 came stock with it also.[/QUOTE]

Where did you read that the sport comes with the short shift installed?

·
Registered
85 Posts
The dealer I just asked said the sport does not come with a short-throw shifter. The changes are cosemtic, larger brakes, and slightly higher-tech "torque vectoring"

Not that they couldn't be wrong, but just what I heard today.

·
Registered
860 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Same story here. It felt very clunky at first (also coming from a 2005 Honda CIVIC) but after 8 months of driving i got used to it and kind of like it now (it is the Sport trim). Wish it was a six speed but better than no manual at all as at first anouncement. I think it was an after thought after all the uproar from everybody. That's why it was offered after the CVT by my dealeship which it was a whole different nightmare. She order the sedan instead of the hatch, had to wait almost 4 months to get my car. Order the wrong roof racks 3 times. Talking about incompetence.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts