5th Gen Subaru Impreza Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, folks. I thought that I read somewhere that the maximum roof load in in the 150# neighborhood. Can anyone confirm?

Also, is this the static or dynamic load?

Mrs. Bob and I are thinking about buying a rooftop tent. We have two other vehicles to mount it on. However, it would be nice to also use it with the Impreza if needed.

There's plenty of photos online of Subie owners traveling with rooftop tents, so I know that it's possible.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hey, folks. I thought that I read somewhere that the maximum roof load in in the 150# neighborhood. Can anyone confirm?

Also, is this the static or dynamic load?

Mrs. Bob and I are thinking about buying a rooftop tent. We have two other vehicles to mount it on. However, it would be nice to also use it with the Impreza if needed.

There's plenty of photos online of Subie owners traveling with rooftop tents, so I know that it's possible.

Just a little background, I used to work for a company called Rack N Road. The company sold roof racks and any accessory you could think of including rooftop tents.

So to answer your question, the maximum load is 150# per bar. In my experience, we used to sell rooftop tents to people who had Subaru's to those who needed custom installations on their car. I feel like you could get away with using the factory bars, I personally would feel more comfortable using bars from Thule or Yakima. I would recommend bars from Thule like the ARB's w/ 450R towers or Yakima timberline towers with any bars. These companies have a maximum load of 200# per bar.

In addition, the rooftop tents usually extend off the car which will disperse the load off of the car. And in order to do that you need bars that extend a little over where the factor bars end.

This is just my two cents, if you have questions let me know.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just a little background, I used to work for a company called Rack N Road. The company sold roof racks and any accessory you could think of including rooftop tents.

So to answer your question, the maximum load is 150# per bar. In my experience, we used to sell rooftop tents to people who had Subaru's to those who needed custom installations on their car. I feel like you could get away with using the factory bars, I personally would feel more comfortable using bars from Thule or Yakima. I would recommend bars from Thule like the ARB's w/ 450R towers or Yakima timberline towers with any bars. These companies have a maximum load of 200# per bar.

In addition, the rooftop tents usually extend off the car which will disperse the load off of the car. And in order to do that you need bars that extend a little over where the factor bars end.

This is just my two cents, if you have questions let me know.
I've ordered a hard top tent, so no hanging off the side.

That being said, I think the curvature of the roof makes actually using a roof top tent impractical. That is, unless you like sleeping on an incline. We have two other vehicles to mount it to, so not a deal breaker. We just won't get the fuel efficiency we would with the Impreza.

·
Registered
8 Posts
kindacrazyazn

what type of roof top tent were sold by the co. you work four?

thank you,
MITCH
SUBATU AMBASSADOR
The company mainly sold Tepui Tents. They are based out of Santa Cruz, CA. I love their product especially their ruggedized line too.

But before I left, Yakima had announced that they were making tents and now they for sale. I saw one at REI and it looks pretty good.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts