5th Gen Subaru Impreza Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2017 5-door Sport experienced it's first snowfall last week, with less than 200 miles in. Is this how a bad parent feels? :laugh:

I opted for the "electronic undercoating" at the dealership, but was still hoping to keep it out of these horrible Michigan conditions for a season. I'm not convinced an electronic device works as well as true undercoating. Oh well. It is a Subaru after all, right? I decided since I'm already out and about in 2-3" of this junk, I might as well see how it handles my local nature trail!

As a first time Subaru owner, I have to say I'm impressed. Even with the 18" wheels, the "sport tuned suspension", lack of winter tires, and that bumpy trail, it handled like a dream! Better than any truck I've ever driven.

In retrospect, I have no regrets.

Attachments

·
Registered
38 Posts
wow! I really like that color.

I was surprised as well when I went trailing in the snow with the car, didn't expect it to drive through snow with lots of traction with the stock tires on the sports trim. My first Subaru as well and I'm impressed with the car, and I don't regret switching over from an SUV

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Do you think the electronic undercoating works??
I'm very skeptical that it'll work well here in Michigan. The road commission around here dumps way too much salt. The "undercoating" included a lifetime rust warranty though (excludes exhaust system) that makes it all worthwhile.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Do you think the electronic undercoating works??
I'm very skeptical that it'll work well here in Michigan. The road commission around here dumps way too much salt. The "undercoating" included a lifetime rust warranty though (excludes exhaust system) that makes it all worthwhile.
My Son In Law and his brother bought identical Mazda 3s at the same time back in 2003. His brother opted for the electronic rust control module and he did not. By 2012 the car with no module had a few holes (Mazda remember, the kings of rust) but the one with it was almost rotted out to the door handles. Since I am in Ontario and we have pretty much the same road maintenance as Michigan I would have to guess they don't do much. The tech has worked well for battleships and pipelines for 60 years but doesn't seem to do a thing for cars. Could be worthwhile for the lifetime rust warranty but if my 4 year old, winter driven FRS is any indication of the Subaru panel rust proofing process I don't think we will have any problems with the Impreza. Other than untreated/painted steel bolt heads underneath I remain 100% rust free after almost 100K miles.

·
Registered
59 Posts
The warranty could make it worth it, electronic rust prevention doesn't work on cars, It works on ships because of how the electronics interact with water. I am a fellow Michigander and I HATE how much they salt, it destroys our cars and for little to no gain, plus it is horrible for the environment! Think of the lakes and the animals!

At any rate I am going up to Subaru Winterfest in Boyne this weekend and am hoping to get plenty of time on some snowy roads

1 - 8 of 8 Posts