5th Gen Subaru Impreza Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
The bolts are different on 2018s, at least there were on mine. So I'll have to go buy longer bolts. Is there any way you can measure yours?

·
Administrator
2017 Imp 5 door. Auto, Red.
1,906 Posts
So you lifted the stock wing up and left a huge gap between the wing and car? I think it looks horrible. Like someone at the factory messed up and didn't screw it down properly.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
I would NOT recommend using electrical tape to cover the holes. It will wear over time and leak. I suggest using a clear silicone 35-year caulk or a piece of weather resistant silicone tape (I buy it off Amazon). Using either will secure a weather tight seal without worry. Interesting mod and this is the only change I would make to the video.

·
Registered
12 Posts
[FONT=&quot]Ok. But does it make it easier to clean the window? [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Does the window stay clean longer?[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Are you using the rear wiper less?[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]One of the things I miss about my previous gen 2 is just how much less time I spent on cleaning the rear window. I crossed my mind that something like this might actually be an improvement. [/FONT]

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]One of the things I miss about my previous gen 2 is just how much less time I spent on cleaning the rear window. I crossed my mind that something like this might actually be an improvement. [/FONT]
It's just going to allow more "crap" to get in there and could create more issues than it's worth. It will be a magnet for holding snow, dirt, etc. and will hold it in the crevice created by the mod. Just my two cents:wink2:

·
Registered
118 Posts
It's just going to allow more "crap" to get in there and could create more issues than it's worth. It will be a magnet for holding snow, dirt, etc. and will hold it in the crevice created by the mod. Just my two cents:wink2:
I don't know. I had an S-10 Blazer back in the day that had a little wing similar to this setup. You might think it just deposits more snow/dirt/crud on the window but in actuality it kept it clean. My first one had the little wing but no wiper. I didn't know rear wipers were a thing because I never needed it. My 2nd Blazer had no wing and no wiper. It was terrible! I would have to wipe it constantly or just resort to the mirrors.

So depending on how this one is aimed and shaped underneath, I can see it going either way.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Interesting being the fact I have the STI accessory spoiler and I thought about doing this just didn't know what to really use. The older 11-14 WRX and STI hatches got something from like Perrin that did the same thing. I always wondered if I could use those to make it work.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Interesting being the fact I have the STI accessory spoiler and I thought about doing this just didn't know what to really use. The older 11-14 WRX and STI hatches got something from like Perrin that did the same thing. I always wondered if I could use those to make it work.
I actually did it to my 2008 Hatchback STI and loved the way it came out. That is why I really want to do it to the impreza now.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
I don't know. I had an S-10 Blazer back in the day that had a little wing similar to this setup. You might think it just deposits more snow/dirt/crud on the window but in actuality it kept it clean. My first one had the little wing but no wiper. I didn't know rear wipers were a thing because I never needed it. My 2nd Blazer had no wing and no wiper. It was terrible! I would have to wipe it constantly or just resort to the mirrors.

So depending on how this one is aimed and shaped underneath, I can see it going either way.
You are not understanding what I was attempting to say. I was not referring to the glass being cleaned or not. What I was saying is that the gap between the wing and the vehicle will hold a ton of crap and dirt and you cannot get to it to clean it out. To each their own...interesting concept but too many flaws in execution.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I feel like the angle of the spoiler needs to be more aggressive, it looks like it would create lift instead of downforce. Even if it's not meant to produce actual downforce it looks a little bit off to me in its current state. I was split on whether I liked the look of this, but after seeing the Perrin wing riser I think it would look great if the angle of the spoiler was adjusted--easier said than done of course.

·
Registered
118 Posts
You are not understanding what I was attempting to say. I was not referring to the glass being cleaned or not. What I was saying is that the gap between the wing and the vehicle will hold a ton of crap and dirt and you cannot get to it to clean it out. To each their own...interesting concept but too many flaws in execution.
I see what you mean but my point remains. Depending on the air flow under there, it might be self cleaning. It might be impossible for any gunk to accumulate in there while you're moving. OR, it might wedge in there and become permanently packed by the air flow. I don't know how it is shaped in there and haven't run this configuration through a wind tunnel. The airflow has a big impact on what happens under the wing but to know whether or not its a positive or negative impact is just speculation.

·
Registered
319 Posts
He actually was addressing the concern raised by the earlier post you responded to, which it looks like you misinterpreted. The hatches are grime magnets on the rear window and it does have a lot more to do with airflow and pressure pockets, so it would be interesting if small changes like this to the spoiler would reduce the grime-magnet aspect of our rear windows.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I would NOT recommend using electrical tape to cover the holes. It will wear over time and leak. I suggest using a clear silicone 35-year caulk or a piece of weather resistant silicone tape (I buy it off Amazon). Using either will secure a weather tight seal without worry. Interesting mod and this is the only change I would make to the video.
Thanks bro I totally agree with your suggestion. I will change it to something more weather proof.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
hmmmm.
Im not really sure if you're serious lol.
But, if you are, I havn't really noticed any difference in cleaning my back window.
The washer fluid sprayer still works perfectly though.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I feel like the angle of the spoiler needs to be more aggressive, it looks like it would create lift instead of downforce. Even if it's not meant to produce actual downforce it looks a little bit off to me in its current state. I was split on whether I liked the look of this, but after seeing the Perrin wing riser I think it would look great if the angle of the spoiler was adjusted--easier said than done of course.
You're right. Great observation. Something that I was hoping when doing this mod, was for it to lift at an angle. It didn't do that. It just raised it and kept the same angle.

·
Registered
88 Posts
You're right. Great observation. Something that I was hoping when doing this mod, was for it to lift at an angle. It didn't do that. It just raised it and kept the same angle.
I've been trying to get a hold of RSD about their Boomba Focus ST wing risers I might just have to go straight to Boomba and talk to them. Wanted to see if it would be possible to get one of their kits to fit our cars.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts