5th Gen Subaru Impreza Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my impreza has been in for five attempts to repair the infotainment system, eyesight and reverse camera (somewhat linked, as you all know), with no repair being successful. 355 miles driven to and drive dealers for repair, up until this latest repair.

Florida Lemon Law states that they dealer has three tries to fix the same issue, then you can notify the manufacturer and Secretary of State that you want to Lemon your car, (I did the in late March) and Subaru (or any manufacturer) has 10 days to contact you, which Subaru did in my case. Then they can arrange one last try to repair the vehicle, which we set for April 10.

Subaru's tech line specified that the dealer change out the infotainment head unit as the repair. I left the car for ten days at the dealer, the amount of time required of me to let them have one last chance to repair it. Subaru said the infotainment unit would arrive April 18, then the 19th, then the 20th. On the 8th, 9th and 10th days in for repair. It never arrived. I was without my car for ten days, and in that time, Subaru of America could not get the replacement radio/infotainment sent to the dealer. Horrible.

During the repair I had to travel to Atlanta, and then on to VA, Austin, TX and Chicago over the next weeks, never returning to FL (the car travels in a trailer behind my business production semi). I had to fly down to Daytona from Atlanta to get the car, the UNREPAIRED, COULDN'T SUPPLY THE PARTS DURING THEIR LAST LEGAL CHANCE CAR, and drive it 465 miles back to my RV. Costs included a flight ($340), hotel ($99), and food, as well as now my 3,000 mile car has over 800 miles on it going in and out of service, depreciating it, wearing out the tires, etc.

Subaru has dragged this out for 8 weeks now, unable to fix my car that was ordered December 27 and delivered February 9th. This is my 5th straight Subaru, and it has more problems than all of my past Subarus combined. This is likely my last, and Subaru dragging their feet has seen two of my immediate family members cancel their Subaru purchases.

LOVE the car, the chassis, the handling, the interior, exterior, MPG, etc. But Subaru did not test this car, did not do enough R&D, and cannot even supply the parts to fix these cars. Recall # 2 in 2.5 months!

Subaru of America is getting back to me this coming week to tell me what their plan is, but legally they must replace or repurchase the car now, under FL law and they do not dispute this.

They must also offset the mileage, pay for title transfer and registration fees, pay for my installed tint (thanks, FL!), etc.

The scary part is, they said "We may not be able to get you a new car in the 6-8 weeks ordering process (I ordered mine fully loaded), as we don't want to get you a new car with the same problems". They also told me that since my issues are "safety related", they may not LET ME drive my car, if they are replacing it. Unreal, but worse of it all is the risk that they have not solved these issues and cannot guarantee a replacement car would not have these issues.

Needless to say, the "trust" and "reliability" ads Subaru has on TV per the 2017 Imprezas are laughable, and my trust in Subaru has been severely damaged by this car I otherwise love, with the frustrations of this dragged out process with Subaru of America making it far worse. United Airlines debacle in how they handled their incident comes to mind.

Subaru knowns they have an issue, do not apparently know how to fix it, cannot get the parts to even try fix by brand new car, and has dragged their feet for two months, destroying the last bit of respect and trust I had for them.

Truly a frustrating experience. I'm 47 years old and have never lemoned a car before, nor had a car with so many issues (eyesight, reverse camera, speakers cutting out, CarPlay freezing, radio reseting, etc).

The irony is: I am a 24 year automotive journalist/media member, and Subaru knows this, and this is how they treated me, someone who can bring this to a LOT of eyes and ears. I don't deserve special treatment at all. But you'd think they'd cross their T's and dot their I's with me, but that was not the case.

Good luck if you are having the same issues. : (

·
Registered
46 Posts
I have a similar set of problems to you and it is annoying that guaranteed every week something will go wrong. (Yesterday's was a small one - carplay refusing to work until i restarted the car)

I complained to Subaru directly and they immediately offered to replace the head unit. It's been about 10 days since i was told the dealer would call me when the part comes in. I guess i'll see how that plays out.

Good luck to you. You're lucky to have those lemon laws on your side.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Subaru wrote last Thursday and agreed to buy back the car. I just ordered the exact same car and will turn in my current 2017 Sport 2.0 with the new car when it arrives.

Subaru is confident they have solved the issues on the 2017 Impreza with the 8" screen.

Interesting, this had to be done in two ways. Full refund minus miles on the car, or exchange. Regardless, I had to order, put down a deposit and will be essentially buying a second car, fully normal transaction with this dealer, and Subaru will facilitate the swap. New loan, Subaru pays off the old loan, pays for the title transfer and the state fees, as well as the cost of the tint (only mod) on the car.

It took just over 7 weeks to go from first problems not getting fixed, to multiple repair attempts, to the mandatory (Florida) ten days for Subaru to have one last chance to fix it (after three prior failed attempts), which they could not get the parts to the dealer for.

Lemon law filing date to buy back was four weeks.

Love this car, hence why I ordered another one, but really hope the 7 months of building these has resulted in far better reliability than my 1.5 months into build prior car.

Overall, I'm happy and remained a Subaru owner.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Glad you car is being bought back. And good news that you are getting another essentially-the-same new one. That speaks very highly of the car. It has many, many excellent components.

At the same time your and the similar post above, lends creedence to Consumer Reports, Edmunds and others stating that they do not care it is a Rolls or a BMW or whatever, they recommend against getting the first year of a brand new model. In this situation, we have the potentially compounding issues of a brand new/expanded assembly plant and a significantly expanded new workforce.

All the above is one of the reasons why, in the end and inspite of the 2017 Impreza being a semi-finalist in our buying a new car for my wife, we bought a new Mazda 3 GT.

I sure hope for all of you, that Subaru gets these teething issue resolved really, really soon -- for there as so many things right with the 2017 Impreza.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Just curious, did you have a lawyer involved to help facilitate this?
If so, I assume it is Subaru that pays them, not you of course.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Just curious, did you have a lawyer involved to help facilitate this?
If so, I assume it is Subaru that pays them, not you of course.
I wouldn't be surprised since often it takes the right kind of attention and the right type of professional status to get an answer, sort of like when the media reports on an issue vs. someone from the public.

There are special legal subscription services to make things like this much cheaper.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I did not have a lawyer and handed it all myself. Wasn't a bad process, but 6 weeks was a big long. End result was positive.

If you do hire an attorney and your car is bought back or replaced, in most states the legal fees are paid by the auto manufacturer.

·
Registered
149 Posts
California also have Lemon Law, but it's mostly about malfunctions affecting safety, and the manufacturer have 18 months to resolve the issue. Just in the first 2 weeks (2017 Impreza sport), I had to return to the dealer because of drained battery (literally on the first night I got the car - told it was a loose connector causing the battery to drain), and then the audio system (8" non nav) went blank - fixed by a software upgrade (service claiming it had the latest version but for some reason reverted to the older, "bad" one).

·
Registered
4 Posts
This is interesting. I have a 2018 Impreza hatchback. It's been a nightmare and I just bought it new 3.5 months ago. My oil light has come on 3 times and now we are doing an oil consumption test because it sucks up oil. A tire sensor didn't go on when I had a low/flat tire. Someone here mentioned the CarPlay not working...and that has happened to me a few times but I haven't even mentioned that to subaru yet. My exhaust piping to the muffler is all rusted already (which I find weird). The quality of the interior sucks. The initial dealer dented me car day one and then accused me of doing it. That dealer was terrible to deal with so I got to another one now. When I had my first flat 9 days new they were a pain in the ass to work with and wouldn't even pay for it. And I have since had to talk to continental about the tires and have a case with them to hopefully get a refund. There were these two loose panels on the sides of my rear windshield that I thought was strange but they fixed it. This is my first Subaru and I'm so sad an disappointed. Read about the civil action lawsuit a couple years ago re: the oil consumption problem and it seems they haven't fixed it. Had no idea subarus had so many issues. I bought it for its safety and reliability but it doesn't seem that it is. ? I've been looking into the lemon law especially with the oil consumption problem.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Imprezasport21, I know you don't want to hear this but we have a 2018 Limited with 8" screen and we still have infotainment issues. Subaru is still waiting for a firmware update that was supposed to come in June but has now been postponed. Seems they had issues with the update so they are still working with their vendor to fix the issues.

·
Premium Member
2017 Mazda CX-5 Sport
2,186 Posts
Yesterday I was looking at all of the new cars on the dealers lot, every single one of them had a sticker on it that stated it might have recalls. I asked the tech. manager about it and he said it is because all of them will need infotainment upgrades. LOL

·
Registered
778 Posts
I am just curious if the new gen Crosstrek is having these same issues? it is essentially the same car. they use the same junk HK infocrapment unit in them as well.

I was a solid Subaru fan after I bought my 2016 Crosstrek, which I put just over 26K miles on without ANY issues whatsoever. that led us to buying the 2017 Impreza Sport we have, it was my wife's for a while until she leased her a new Lexus. now, we haven't had any issues with our Impreza except a few instances of the info system freezing up. but even that happening is enough to really piss me off when it happens. so I can understand everybody being upset with all the other issues they are having. Subaru released these cars with very little to no real world testing. thus some of the problems. ours was built in September of 2016, so ours was one of the first 5 our local dealer got. maybe we got lucky? but I can assure you, if we had the problems others have had, we would lemon ours quicker than ****.

·
Administrator
785 Posts
I am just curious if the new gen Crosstrek is having these same issues? it is essentially the same car. they use the same junk HK infocrapment unit in them as well.

I was a solid Subaru fan after I bought my 2016 Crosstrek, which I put just over 26K miles on without ANY issues whatsoever. that led us to buying the 2017 Impreza Sport we have, it was my wife's for a while until she leased her a new Lexus. now, we haven't had any issues with our Impreza except a few instances of the info system freezing up. but even that happening is enough to really piss me off when it happens. so I can understand everybody being upset with all the other issues they are having. Subaru released these cars with very little to no real world testing. thus some of the problems. ours was built in September of 2016, so ours was one of the first 5 our local dealer got. maybe we got lucky? but I can assure you, if we had the problems others have had, we would lemon ours quicker than ****.
Our '18 Crosstrek has had no issues at 7 months of ownership. I had my infotainment console replaced at 3 weeks of ownership...should've waited for the Crosstrek.

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
The HK radios in ALL of the new Subaru's...Legacy...Ascent...Impreza...Outback...Crosstrek are ALL THE EXACT SAME HK RADIOS. They ALL have the same issue whether you experience it or not. My 17 Limited has exhibited ZERO issues as cole train stated above with his 18. However, the radios are identical as there are not different HK radios for different Subarus. If there was a fix for the 18-19, it would have already been deployed in the 17-18 Imprezas.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts