5th Gen Subaru Impreza Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
2018 Impreza Sport CVT
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well guys, as the title says I have a 2018 Subaru, Impreza and I was hearing a strange noise coming from what sounded like the transmission. So I took it into the dealer and they told me that the transmission is bad and isn’t under warranty. So unfortunately, that means I’m getting rid of my Impreza. I unfortunately don’t have enough to fix it. watch out for the parts that I bought, I’ll be posting them on here soon. Lots of carbon fiber pieces, a catch can from ADD1 and rally armor mud flaps. I’m sure there’s other stuff but that’s what I can remember for now. Thanks again guys, maybe I’ll get another one sooner or later.

· Registered
2022 Sport 5-Door
318 Posts
Out of warranty? Isn't powertrain still 5 years/60k miles? Sorry to hear about your car, sucks to lose a vehicle and having to pickup something else that may or may not be as great

· Registered
2021 Subaru Impreza 5-Door Sport 5MT
572 Posts
Well guys, as the title says I have a 2018 Subaru, Impreza and I was hearing a strange noise coming from what sounded like the transmission. So I took it into the dealer and they told me that the transmission is bad and isn’t under warranty. So unfortunately, that means I’m getting rid of my Impreza. I unfortunately don’t have enough to fix it. watch out for the parts that I bought, I’ll be posting them on here soon. Lots of carbon fiber pieces, a catch can from ADD1 and rally armor mud flaps. I’m sure there’s other stuff but that’s what I can remember for now. Thanks again guys, maybe I’ll get another one sooner or later.
PM me the last 8 of your VIN and I can tell you if it has warranty. Also let me know your current mileage.

· Registered
196 Posts
Tzd beat me to it, concerning the 10.9.18 service bulletin. This is very relevant to you, NEWSUBIBOI, unless your vehicle is over 100,000 miles old, or has had non-Subaru service or parts used in a previous CVT repair. I hope this all works out in your favor.

· Registered
572 Posts
If you are still within warranty, or barely outside of it, I would HIGHLY recommend following this link to the Subaru Customer Support. If you email/call them, they are fantastic at helping out customers even when warranty has expired. I can't promise they will do anything, but if the dealer denied warranty and your car actually has it then Subaru will get involved and get you taken care of.

Customer Support | Subaru

· Registered
2019 Base CVT + Eyesight + Fogs
755 Posts
If you email/call them, they are fantastic at helping out customers
When I contacted SOA about a serious issue they lied about facts and orchestrated a coverup of events. They had me confirm an issue with a dealer, the dealer confirmed I had an issue, then they emailed me that the dealer told them my vehicle is operating as intended and closed my case. I spoke to the dealer asking if they really said my vehicle was operating as intended, the dealer replied that they told SOA that I had an issue and there was no known fix. I've a small claims case lined up against SOA on the matter. Do not forget, SOA has a history of deception, such as cheating on fuel economy and emissions tests.

· Registered
245 Posts
When I contacted SOA about a serious issue they lied about facts and orchestrated a coverup of events. They had me confirm an issue with a dealer, the dealer confirmed I had an issue, then they emailed me that the dealer told them my vehicle is operating as intended and closed my case. I spoke to the dealer asking if they really said my vehicle was operating as intended, the dealer replied that they told SOA that I had an issue and there was no known fix. I've a small claims case lined up against SOA on the matter. Do not forget, SOA has a history of deception, such as cheating on fuel economy and emissions tests.
Can you link more? A history of doing something implies a lot more than a single case.
Oh and if you're going to cheat why would also make some of your cars look worse or did you skip that part?
"and that some data was falsified to minimize variance in the tests, even when that meant lowering fuel economy results for cars that tested better than the norm."

· Registered
755 Posts
Can you link more? A history of doing something implies a lot more than a single case.
Oh and if you're going to cheat why would also make some of your cars look worse or did you skip that part?
"and that some data was falsified to minimize variance in the tests, even when that meant lowering fuel economy results for cars that tested better than the norm."
It pertains to this issue: Rattle noise under light acceleration - not sure what it...

The accusation I make is that my vehicle, and many other vehicles, are victim to pre-ignition detonation (knocking) when using advertised octane ratings. That SOA is actively covering up the facts. I have evidence to this regard, and I will publish it in a few months after my small claims case against the company is concluded.

· Registered
572 Posts
Sorry to hear that. I would also keep in mind that Dealerships are 3rd party, and not owned by Subaru. I've had more issues with dealers falsifying information so they didn't have to do warranty work than anything. Overfilling engines during oil consumption testing so they pass. I had a dealer pass me by a tablespoon of oil on a consumption concern on an old Forester. I had another dealer lie to my brother about oil consumption as well, so I drove from Indianapolis to Chicago where he lived to prove them wrong. They granted him a shortblock that day after I called them out.

I think the main take away is Subaru is actually very good with customer retention and often times will do "good will" repairs. All you have to do is ask. Be friendly, understanding, and they tend to take care of you.

· Registered
755 Posts
Sorry to hear that. I would also keep in mind that Dealerships are 3rd party, and not owned by Subaru. I've had more issues with dealers falsifying information so they didn't have to do warranty work than anything. Overfilling engines during oil consumption testing so they pass. I had a dealer pass me by a tablespoon of oil on a consumption concern on an old Forester. I had another dealer lie to my brother about oil consumption as well, so I drove from Indianapolis to Chicago where he lived to prove them wrong. They granted him a shortblock that day after I called them out.

I think the main take away is Subaru is actually very good with customer retention and often times will do "good will" repairs. All you have to do is ask. Be friendly, understanding, and they tend to take care of you.
I had my engine rebuilt by a dealer trying to fix this issue, and they overlooked a lot of mods, they really did a good job in every regard, except in the end the car still knocked so they drained out my tank of 87 octane and filled it with 91 and gave it back to me. Another dealer explained it this way to me, and I believe they were honest: "We can't fix a broken design, we can only follow TSBs and give you advice to use 91 octane". Of course, when I emailed SoA with this, their reply was that the vehicle should use 87 octane. But my RO's say things like "Customer complained of 87 octane knocking, filled with 91 and resolved issue".
On the other hand, the same dealer (2nd one mentioned) wanted to charge me $150 for windshield wiper replacement, while it was under warranty, and SoA was as confused about it as me.

· Registered
2019 Impreza Premium Hatch CVT
321 Posts

· Registered
337 Posts
I'm assuming that is ONLY for 2018 model year Imprezas? I don't currently have any issues with my 2019, but I hadn't heard of this warranty extension before. Hopefully my CVT doesn't have any problems.
WHen I had my 2017 Legacy I got a letter from Subaru about the extension. Now, I have the '18 Legacy and '19 Impreza and I believe they both have it though I also have the 10yr/100k warranty.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts