5th Gen Subaru Impreza Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well, after 27 years of driving (legally) I finally had my first scrape up. and it had to happen today, on July 4th and to my wife's car. I have never hit or backed into anything with any car, and today while we were parking at PF Changs for dinner I backed her car right into a brick retaining wall. I didn't hit it hard at all, but the rear bumper is mangled on the bottom black plastic. I was so pissed off I didn't even eat all of my dinner. I hate making mistakes and this one really sucks. and her car has a huge backup camera but that didn't help today. I didn't take any pics because I was too mad, but I will get it estimated tomorrow and go from there. I know the bumper cover will have to be replaced. I am just thankful our deductible is only $250. I still love the car though, I am just mad at myself right now...

·
Registered
157 Posts
Ask your insurance company what your policy will go up and for how long.

If you claim this likely $600-800 claim, and you pay $250, your insurance may go up $250 per year of 3-7 years, making you effectively pay $750 to $1,750 more than your deductible.

Just advice. Sorry it happened. The first ding on a new car is always horrible : (

·
Registered
730 Posts
well, after 27 years of driving (legally) I finally had my first scrape up. and it had to happen today, on July 4th and to my wife's car. I have never hit or backed into anything with any car, and today while we were parking at PF Changs for dinner I backed her car right into a brick retaining wall. I didn't hit it hard at all, but the rear bumper is mangled on the bottom black plastic. I was so pissed off I didn't even eat all of my dinner. I hate making mistakes and this one really sucks. and her car has a huge backup camera but that didn't help today. I didn't take any pics because I was too mad, but I will get it estimated tomorrow and go from there. I know the bumper cover will have to be replaced. I am just thankful our deductible is only $250. I still love the car though, I am just mad at myself right now...
Dammit man sorry to hear that, but accidents happen :frown2: Any pics? As long as no one got hurt, that's the main thing. If it's just the bumper cover, then probably better to just pay out of pocket so your insurance premium won't go up OR you could say someone hit it while it was parked :wink2::wink2: It's classed as a hit & run so your insurance premium won't be affected, at least in MA that's how it is. Just something to think about.

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Dammit man sorry to hear that, but accidents happen :frown2: Any pics? As long as no one got hurt, that's the main thing. If it's just the bumper cover, then probably better to just pay out of pocket so your insurance premium won't go up OR you could say someone hit it while it was parked :wink2::wink2: It's classed as a hit & run so your insurance premium won't be affected, at least in MA that's how it is. Just something to think about.
I wish but not here in NC. And we have already contacted our insurance agent as he is a close personal family friend. Our policy won't actually increase but we will lose a discount we currently have for not having any claims. Depending on what the estimate is I may pay outta pocket. The paint part of the bumper is fine, one lil dab of touch paint and it would be perfect. It is the black lower part of the bumper that is scraped up. I wish it was a 2 piece bumper but it's not. I do have a friend who does body work so I am sure he might can fix it for me on the low...lol. Yeah nobody was hurt other than my feelings. I was/still am mad I even did it. I am always fussing at my wife to be careful and then I smash HER car. I really didn't need that...

·
Registered
730 Posts
I wish but not here in NC. And we have already contacted our insurance agent as he is a close personal family friend. Our policy won't actually increase but we will lose a discount we currently have for not having any claims. Depending on what the estimate is I may pay outta pocket. The paint part of the bumper is fine, one lil dab of touch paint and it would be perfect. It is the black lower part of the bumper that is scraped up. I wish it was a 2 piece bumper but it's not. I do have a friend who does body work so I am sure he might can fix it for me on the low...lol. Yeah nobody was hurt other than my feelings. I was/still am mad I even did it. I am always fussing at my wife to be careful and then I smash HER car. I really didn't need that...
Yeah the lower part of the bumper is all one piece unfortunately. There is a spray paint you can buy especially for textured trim/bumper pieces. Hopefully your buddy can take care of you. I'm sure your wife won't let that one go anytime soon.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Hey man, definitely sucks and it'll weigh down your shoulders for a while, but sh*t happens right? You can never expect it so don't beat yourself up about it. Hopefully the wifey takes it easy on you and I would inquire how much it would be just to do it all yourself. Guess kinda late now because you've already talked to the insurance company but at the end of the day... it happened, it's over, call it a day.

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yeah I know guys, thanks for trying to make me feel better. after having the day to think about it, I am going to fix it myself (or pay outta pocket). the painted part of the bumper isn't hurt at all. one small pencil tip size of touch up paint and it will not even be noticeable. as for the black plastic lower, I think we can smooth it out and paint it good enough to get by. it really isn't as bad as I had originally thought. or, I may actually try to "wrap" the lower part in carbon fiber vinyl, I haven't decided yet.

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
welp, estimated today and WOW! one lil tap against a retaining wall and the bill comes to $725.28. and the body shop that I would use can't even get the bumper cover, they have to get it from a Subaru dealer in town. so that has me thinking more and more about wrapping the black part of the bumper in carbon fiber vinyl.

·
Registered
730 Posts
welp, estimated today and WOW! one lil tap against a retaining wall and the bill comes to $725.28. and the body shop that I would use can't even get the bumper cover, they have to get it from a Subaru dealer in town. so that has me thinking more and more about wrapping the black part of the bumper in carbon fiber vinyl.
Take a pic of the damage so I can see. Usually body shops order OEM parts directly from the dealer. Another option would be to have the body shop order & paint the bumper. Schedule the car in for a particular day & you'll have it back the same day. Carbon fiber would be another option less expensive too.

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I will try to snap some shots tomorrow, I drove the car to work today so I could get an estimate on the way home. Yeah we would be without the car for one full day which is no problem, because we have rental coverage on policy. But I found out today we would definitely lose one discount on our policy for 3 years which is worth about $400 over the length of that. And we would still have to pay $250 out of pocket. So I don't think I am going to claim it on our insurance. I have a couple other ways to go about getting it fixed but I can't get those ways started until next week when a friend of mine gets back from vacation. He owns a body shop, not the one who did the estimate for me. He can fix it for me I know, and he would be cheaper because we always trade out tint work for body work that we may need. So I will talk to him next week. Honestly, I spayed it today with Plastidip to fill in the scuffs and rubbed it off the rest of the black part, and it doesn't look that bad. We may live with it for a while because with my luck I would pay to fix it, then something would happen to it again, and that would really piss me off.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts