5th Gen Subaru Impreza Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

· Registered
2018 Impreza Limited
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

I thought it would be interesting to show the progression of my exhaust system, which is now complete. I started out with a Syms muffler (which includes the rear garnish for the exhaust tips to tuck up into). I've driven the car this way for around 50k miles now. After finally crossing 60k miles and my warranty expiring, in addition to the cancelling of the STI and prices of them + gas going through the roof, I decided it's best to stick with the impreza and keep modding it.

First, I added the Avo Turboworld Headers. As many of you know, I had some fitment issues here. I modified a bracket and that solved my issue. With the stock midpipe, I got a lot of high pitch rattling noise which I didn't like.

Now, I have replaced the stock midpipe with a nameless midpipe with the resonator. This has cleaned up and deepend the sound as you can here in the final video.

In side of the car with the full Exhuast!

Next up is a K & N Cold Air Intake. Hopefully later this week!

· Registered
19 Sport Hatch MT
206 Posts
Sounds really good! Did you have to order it from Australia?

· Registered
2019 Base Hatchback
17 Posts
How's the sound on the Syms in terms of loudness? Getting opinions on it as I want to upgrade as well due to the same reasons you mentioned. I do have some time before the extended warranty is done ( bout 20k miles)

Not looking for loud and obnoxious since this is my daily and my hearing is already damaged (tinnitus).

Hello everyone,

I thought it would be interesting to show the progression of my exhaust system, which is now complete. I started out with a Syms muffler (which includes the rear garnish for the exhaust tips to tuck up into). I've driven the car this way for around 50k miles now. After finally crossing 60k miles and my warranty expiring, in addition to the cancelling of the STI and prices of them + gas going through the roof, I decided it's best to stick with the impreza and keep modding it.

First, I added the Avo Turboworld Headers. As many of you know, I had some fitment issues here. I modified a bracket and that solved my issue. With the stock midpipe, I got a lot of high pitch rattling noise which I didn't like.

Now, I have replaced the stock midpipe with a nameless midpipe with the resonator. This has cleaned up and deepend the sound as you can here in the final video.

In side of the car with the full Exhuast!

Next up is a K & N Cold Air Intake. Hopefully later this week!

· Registered
19 Sport Hatch MT
206 Posts
So I asked AVO if it fits a manual and they said no. Anybody have this on an MT?

Reactions: evoheyax

· Registered
2018 Impreza Limited
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
How's the sound on the Syms in terms of loudness? Getting opinions on it as I want to upgrade as well due to the same reasons you mentioned. I do have some time before the extended warranty is done ( bout 20k miles)

Not looking for loud and obnoxious since this is my daily and my hearing is already damaged (tinnitus).
The Syms is loudest at around 2k rpm. It quiets up around 3k rpm’s and has a nice engine sound above that but it’s not loud at all at that point.

The loudest reading I was able to get was 96db on a cold start. That is the loudest it gets is more like 89db to 91db do when driving.

I need to measure it now, but I just installed the k&n cold air intake and it’s really loud, kinda too loud in terms of drawing attention. Don’t want to get state reffed, so I need to fly under the radar. I might take the cold air intake off.

· Registered
275 Posts

I bought the syms because the nameless was way too loud

· Registered
275 Posts
:DThis is what I was wanting to hear:D
Don’t get me wrong it sounded fantastic, but i was worried about starting my car in the mornings because it would wake my apartment and that was with the mufflers. Ended up selling it mostly because of a bad cabin vibration from the resonance.

still waiting on the syms but I can confirm it’s quieter and looks better, but it’s also expensive af.

· Registered
2019 Base Hatchback
17 Posts
Don’t get me wrong it sounded fantastic, but i was worried about starting my car in the mornings because it would wake my apartment and that was with the mufflers. Ended up selling it mostly because of a bad cabin vibration from the resonance.

still waiting on the syms but I can confirm it’s quieter and looks better, but it’s also expensive af.
Again, those are even better points lol

The price is what is making me not jump on it rn, I'd rather get other mods done, and experiment with some as well. Maybe contribute with a write up or 2. Then I will get it, but I will be reading up everyones experiences with it.

· Registered
2018 Impreza Limited
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Just an update at where I'm at: I do have an exhaust leak (or two) which is a lot of the rattle noise. I can't get the 2nd and 3rd piece of the Avo Turboworld front pipe to seal correctly. I'm now using 2 gaskets, and it's better. But it's still leaking a little I think. And I belive I have a leak on the donut gasket. There are times when the engine is warm, and the rattle is completely gone. But then comes back a minute or two latter after a hard acceleration (still the same oil temps). I will check it again tomorrow for carbon but I don't think the 2 gaskets 100% fixed it. I will try 3 and using my impact driver to close the bolts. If this don't work, I'm done and it's going to the exhaust shop to get welded. The donut gasket is harder. It may still end up going to the exhaust shop to have a bigger connector welded to the nameless midpipe, as the donut gasket barley makes contact with the lip of the nameless pipe (it's disigned for the oem smaller donut gasket), and I have to really crank that down or it leaks. That may be part of the problem as well.

Either way, it's defiantly better now, but it's still not right, and I'm losing patience with it (I've jacked up the car 6 times now since installing the headers and front pipe). I might also not have the mid pipe install correctly. That is also 2 pieces instead of 1 in the OEM mid pipe, and you have to clock it right. It's hard to tell what IS the correct clock, and I might need to adjust that.

· Registered
2 Posts
The Syms is loudest at around 2k rpm. It quiets up around 3k rpm’s and has a nice engine sound above that but it’s not loud at all at that point.

The loudest reading I was able to get was 96db on a cold start. That is the loudest it gets is more like 89db to 91db do when driving.

I need to measure it now, but I just installed the k&n cold air intake and it’s really loud, kinda too loud in terms of drawing attention. Don’t want to get state reffed, so I need to fly under the radar. I might take the cold air intake off.
If you still have the cai installed can you post a video of cold start and pulls?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts