5th Gen Subaru Impreza Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a new 2020 Impreza Hatchback 5-speed manual transmission (I’m sure I don’t have to tell everyone how hard THAT was to find) base trim in Ocean Blue. I’m totally in love with this car. Yeah, it doesn’t have as many features as higher trims but it has just what I need.

i had been driving a 2004 Hyundai Accent base trim 5-speed that gave me excellent service for 16-1/2 reliable years — until the last two weeks. I loved that car but I was feeling very vulnerable in it and no AC. I can’t complain.

First thing I did was turn on the AC and connect Carplay. Lol. I’m very excited by this car.
Question: does this base trim have Hill Start Assist?

·
Registered
710 Posts
Welcome. Yes, it has the hill start hold feature. I tried it for half a day when I got my car in April 2017 and then turned it off. The owners manual has that instruction for disabling it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. I don’t drive on too many hills but there is one I have to go on sometimes. I’m ashamed to admit that i used to “dance with the clutch” but I’ve been screamed at about how bad it is for the clutch. I used to have a bumper sticker that read “Don’t Get Too Close - This Is A Stick.” I’ll try the assist and see if I like it. Is it on until I disable it?

Thanks for your comment.

·
Registered
710 Posts
Yes, it's on until disabled. I don't consider it useful. It keeps the car held in place with the brakes while I'm trying to engage 1st gear and go forward. It was "helping" me on a minor slope in an Arby's parking lot, and that was the last straw.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes, it's on until disabled. I don't consider it useful. It keeps the car held in place with the brakes while I'm trying to engage 1st gear and go forward. It was "helping" me on a minor slope in an Arby's parking lot, and that was the last straw.
Thanks. That’s what I’ve heard. I’ll try it just to see.

·
Registered
2020 Manual 4-door Base
83 Posts
Congrats. I also bought my first brand new subaru this year, a 2020 4 door manual. It took me a week to get it as my dealership had to order it from another one. (I refused to settle for anything other than blue)

Unfortunately it seems that here in Canada they no longer offer any blue other dark pearl blue on 2020 models, which absolutely bugs the hell out of me when I see guys like you with that gorgeous blue i wanted.

Either way , enjoy the new ride.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Nice. Congrats to you too. Yeah, my only criteria was that it was a stick. What irked me was that car companies make them but dealerships don’t carry them and now because of COVID they are loathe to order from other dealers. And yes the blue was just my good luck.
Your car is beautiful. Are you enjoying it?

·
Registered
2020 Manual 4-door Base
83 Posts
Nice. Congrats to you too. Yeah, my only criteria was that it was a stick. What irked me was that car companies make them but dealerships don’t carry them and now because of COVID they are loathe to order from other dealers. And yes the blue was just my good luck.
Your car is beautiful. Are you enjoying it?
Well i got mine in January before Covid and my dark blue pearl had to be ordered from another dealership, I still wasn't given any other blue as an option. The guy basically told me that they just dont make 2020 models in Ocean blue 😑

Its my first car actually and also my first manual. I had to learn manual on it. First few weeks were sketchy but only took me a month or two to say I've mastered it pretty well. And yes I do enjoy driving it a lot now.

The 1st to 2nd gear shift took me a while to get used to, its very sensitive.

How did you find this manual transmission?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah. It has a short gear box. I’m getting used to it as well. Plus the gas pedal is sensitive so I have to get used to that. Lol. I’m glad you got the manual. Once you drive a stick you may never go back to automatic. It Is just more fun.

i called Honda, Kia, Toyota and Hyundai - they all make them, they just don’t carry them. It really sucks. There is a Subaru dealer near my house — I had it in my head that Subaru was too expensive for me — but I went to their web page and voila — they had one on the lot. And it was in my budget. I ran to the dealership.
I got lucky with the color but I’d have taken any color as long as it was a stick. Enjoy.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts