5th Gen Subaru Impreza Forum banner
1 - 20 of 157 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've noticed that when in peak hour style traffic and doing light acceleration the car "shudders" and jerks quite strongly. This happens at low speed (<~40Km/h) and when you lightly accelerate. it's like the CVT and the engine aren't quite lined up. It varies, but regularly it feels like the car will stall.

This happens when cruise control is in use too, so it's not my **** driving. :)

Anyone else?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Bazza, have you broken in your engine? My dealer said that I should not use cruise control for the first 1600 km.

·
Registered
308 Posts
That's really weird. If it feels like it's going to stall out it sounds like it's misfiring or something. Under flat footing, does it still jerk ?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Bazza, have you broken in your engine? My dealer said that I should not use cruise control for the first 1600 km.

No. It's been doing it since pickup. The reason you were told that is the old advice that you shouldn't run your engine at the same RPM for long periods. That hasn't happened as all of my driving has been peak hour freeway so very on and off. I don't know if that advice is still current but I wasn't told it. In any case, it's not the style of driving I've been doing.

That's really weird. If it feels like it's going to stall out it sounds like it's misfiring or something. Under flat footing, does it still jerk ?

No, it takes off.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Well if you don't plan on owning beyond the 3-4 year mark then you might not even come close to noticing any possible issues that will come from what might be an improper break in. Personally, i wouldn't worry too much about it.

·
Registered
308 Posts
A bad break-in procedure isn't going to cause OPs shuddering and jerking issues. So that's irrelevant.

Have you taken it to the dealers? This is why we have warranty!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Have you taken it to the dealers? This is why we have warranty!
Yes... They said they updated it. It is perhaps slightly better but still not great to drive.

As for comments about run in procedure - it's been the same since the day i got it. Also, my driving matches all of the normal run in things that people recommend.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I certainly do not know the root cause of your problem. I have a hard time conjuring how break-in for a new vehicle has anything to do with it. I've got a 2 month old '17 Impreza Premium HB and have not experienced this issue. I am impressed with the CVT Subaru tranny....and I've got a '16 Outback too. Computers these days control our outcomes. Deal with it...election results, hacking, paying bills, your electric service, most everything. And a computer controls those shift points in your car.

Years ago I experienced major work computer issues, doing 3D CAD design and 3D part printing. The IT guy trying to fix things did the chimpanzee shrug, and said maybe it was a cosmic ray that compromised my computer. I thought this was the lamest excuse, until I researched it a bit. And yes, an awry, subatomic particle coming from deep space can whack your Impreza computer and turn a 0 into a 1, or vice-a-versa. **** happens, my friend.

Like the advice in the Apollo 13 movie, work the problem. And I'd start with the dealer....you're in warranty, and they should, or could fix this. There's not a lot of problems showing up on this forum with CVT issues. You got hit...maybe by a cosmic ray.

bon voyage

·
Registered
63 Posts
There's a TSB for this (TSB 11-172-17). "This bulletin announces the availability of reprogramming files to optimize the ECM. The new logic will address isolated customer concerns of a hesitation and / or a stumble felt on light acceleration"

Basically a software update the dealer can do.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
There's a TSB for this (TSB 11-172-17). "This bulletin announces the availability of reprogramming files to optimize the ECM. The new logic will address isolated customer concerns of a hesitation and / or a stumble felt on light acceleration"

Do you know when it was released?

They did an update on mine about 2 weeks ago - i'm not sure if it's this one.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I noticed my '17 Sport hesitates around 35-40mph sometimes, or seems to be in way too high of a gear ratio where the engine is really bogged down. I mentioned this TSB to the dealer, and they said it was not for my year car.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Try a different dealer. It's TSB 11-172-17

"Reprogramming File Availability for DTC P05A0 and Hesitation / Stumble on Light Acceleration This bulletin announces the availability of reprogramming files to optimize the ECM. The new logic will address isolated customer concerns of a hesitation and / or a stumble felt on light acceleration and in some cases, a possible DTC P05A0 which may set in the ECM memory. "

·
Registered
21 Posts
Mine does the same. I go in for my first oil change in a few weeks. I will talk to the service manager about that and the backup camera issue as well

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I got mine back after an update today - it does seem better but i haven't done a lot of driving yet.

·
Registered
3 Posts
CVT nightmare

I've noticed that when in peak hour style traffic and doing light acceleration the car "shudders" and jerks quite strongly. This happens at low speed (<~40Km/h) and when you lightly accelerate. it's like the CVT and the engine aren't quite lined up. It varies, but regularly it feels like the car will stall.

This happens when cruise control is in use too, so it's not my **** driving. :)
I have exact same problem. I drove the test car 3 times, taking through my usual areas and definitely no jerking. Dealership not cooperating at all. Literally stand there with hands on hips and shaking their head. We can't help!!

·
Registered
15 Posts
CVTs suck

This is the same issue I experience in my Australian spec Subaru Impreza... picked my car up in late Feb and the moment I left the dealership I felt it. The CVT feels like it's having a spaz when I'm driving between 20-30km/h (12-19 mp/h) but it's not heaps intrusive. Wish Subaru would fix this issue.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Mine is also Aussie and it does seem to be fixed after the latest update so call your dealer tomorrow! It's worth it.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I've had similar issues, but only under extremely light acceleration and speeds below 10 mph. I planned on bringing this up to the dealer sometime soon.

Released Feb 23, 2017
I purchased my Impreza on March 10th, so would the dealer have already installed this software update? Thanks for any further information.

·
Registered
3 Posts

I've been back to my dealer a few times about the shudder issue and the service manager keeps saying there is no update available for the 2017 Impreza in Australia.

1 - 20 of 157 Posts