5th Gen Subaru Impreza Forum banner
101 - 120 of 157 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Update: I took mine down to the dealer. Two technicians drove it and couldnt replicate it. I drove it for them and I got it to do it a few times. They just said "Its how a CVT works" and "Its normal" and "Youre not used to it since its your first CVT". It DOES NOT feel like it is meant to do this. Its even worse with the A/C on and in stop and go traffic. How can it be normal if some people have this issue and others dont????? I love everything about the car except this problem.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I feel the same way. I like the car but the driving experience is miserable. I don't want to feel jerks and thumps. It is distracting enough to me, to be unsafe. The purchase of this car was part of my VW diesel buy back. At this point, I am thinking I might as well make that whole experience more complicated and trade the car in. Most likely, I'll wait until later in the fall when the 2018s are appearing and try to get a decent deal on a 2017. As I mentioned, I keep hoping Subaru will do something, but if this is the way a CVT drives, then lesson learned for me. Sigh....

·
Registered
232 Posts
Most small cars I have owned with ac would surge/stumble when the ac switches on and off. I don't
notice the ac a much on the Subaru as I have on other cars I have owned.

Clifton

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #104 ·
I got this today:

Service Campaign for an Upgraded ECU Program for certain MY17 Impreza vehicles
Model Year: 2017
Model: IMPREZA SEDAN 2.0S AUTO
VIN:
September 5, 2017

Introduction
Subaru (Aust) Pty Limited (“Subaru Australia”) has been advised by Subaru Corporation, (SBR, the Japanese manufacturer of Subaru vehicles), that certain MY17 Impreza vehicles MAY, under certain circumstances, exhibit symptoms that include a reduction in engine revs or engine STALL. These symptoms can be caused by a lean combustion condition while decelerating (braking or coasting) driving from approximately 40km/h. If these symptoms manifest, other driving functions of the vehicle (steering, braking, etc.) will remain active, although power assistance may be lost. Further, if the engine does stall, the vehicle can be immediately restarted. Nevertheless, given the nature of these symptoms, Subaru Australia has decided to carry out this Service Campaign, following notification from SBR.

SBR has developed a revised program for the Engine Control Unit (ECU) to prevent the above symptoms from manifesting.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Thank you for posting. (Reposting from "Cvt" thread.

I'm struggling with this issue as well. ALL of our driving is city driving / stop and go with AC on (summer in Texas) so it's pronounced. Been going back and forth between dealer and SOA. Will let you know when / if resolved and hope you will do the same!

Thanks!

·
Registered
10 Posts
I got this today:

Service Campaign for an Upgraded ECU Program for certain MY17 Impreza vehicles
Model Year: 2017
Model: IMPREZA SEDAN 2.0S AUTO
VIN:
September 5, 2017

Introduction
Subaru (Aust) Pty Limited (?Subaru Australia?) has been advised by Subaru Corporation, (SBR, the Japanese manufacturer of Subaru vehicles), that certain MY17 Impreza vehicles MAY, under certain circumstances, exhibit symptoms that include a reduction in engine revs or engine STALL. These symptoms can be caused by a lean combustion condition while decelerating (braking or coasting) driving from approximately 40km/h. If these symptoms manifest, other driving functions of the vehicle (steering, braking, etc.) will remain active, although power assistance may be lost. Further, if the engine does stall, the vehicle can be immediately restarted. Nevertheless, given the nature of these symptoms, Subaru Australia has decided to carry out this Service Campaign, following notification from SBR.

SBR has developed a revised program for the Engine Control Unit (ECU) to prevent the above symptoms from manifesting.
Bazza - did this solve it for you?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Or Bazza - are you saying you received a notice but have not had the update? Appreciate any insight you can share. My car is back at the dealer hunting for shudder. Hopefully this update would solve it.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Or Bazza - are you saying you received a notice but have not had the update? Appreciate any insight you can share. My car is back at the dealer hunting for shudder. Hopefully this update would solve it.
Mine was updated to

CID XH3J110D
required work was
A100-009 TYF-00 50TU

There is a new update coming also, I was told

I cant remember what the codes were

I did put 1000 pounds in the car and did some mountain climbing trying to overheat or break the trans and seems a bit better now.

If you drive the same the chain can wear a groove pattern on the cones and cause a shudder
Also the clutch pac needs a good break in thats why I beat on it.

These cars like to be driven hard, screw that easy beak-in stuff

·
Registered
10 Posts
My loaner '17 Impreza drives well. My car is definitely not normal. I hope the dealer and SOA will acknowledge this. I will update you all as soon as I learn anything new.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Mine goes into the shop on the 19th to get this done as well will update then. Thx to everyone for all the info

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #114 ·
I got that letter and then took it in the next day.

With the re-learn on the transmission that was done a month ago and now this change it does seem to be a lot more smooth. I never had stalling but definitely dropping revs at low speed and i haven't noticed it since Wednesday.

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
@Bazza, please post the campaign code on your service order that has the reprogramming done that resolved your issue. Thanks!

Reactions: Unimprezed

·
Registered
10 Posts
Bazza, Could you do us all a huge favor and give your dealer a call / email and get all the info you can and post here ASAP? Unlike Subaru of Australia, Subaru of America has not rolled out this update and we are all in the midst of dealer / manufacturer ping pong purgatory. They have my car and are trying to replicate the problem. This information is essential to us to make our case here for resolution in the States and we would be forever grateful. Thank you!

·
Registered
124 Posts
The relearn on the transmission is not a re program
Its simply clears out the map so the car can generate a new one and learn where how to shift

Any US dealer can do it

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
^^^I just had my 2017 Forester XT in for it's second oil change and tire rotate and there was an ECM/TCM update they applied. They then lifted the car off the ground about 6 inches and did the transmission relearn based on the fact they updated the TCM. Took about 5 minutes to complete.

101 - 120 of 157 Posts