5th Gen Subaru Impreza Forum banner
121 - 140 of 157 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Australian fix

The relearn on the transmission is not a re program
Its simply clears out the map so the car can generate a new one and learn where how to shift

Any US dealer can do it
So Bazza got the re-learn a month ago, but it is the Service Bulletin he got (letter on 9/5) that he had performed in the last few days that interests me. I want to know specifics about it so I can ask Subaru of America and my dealer for access to it. Why would Subaru of Australia acknowledge a problem that Subaru of America is not? Or is the letter forthcoming?

·
Registered
477 Posts
Does anyone know how the relearn is done? Clearly not just a battery disconnect - or is it? @securityguy , what was the point of lifting your Forester off the ground? Did you watch what they did in that 5 min?

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
Needs to be done at the dealership with a special computer program that connects the laptop through the OBDII port. Have to lift the car and disable ES as the car is shifted into all gears by the laptop computer program while in the air so the car can run through all drive gears including neutral to relearn the shifting back into the ECM/TCM. Watched it the entire time. Happy to talk about it if you like. PM me and I'll send you my cell but wasn't a big deal at all and very easy and took little time.

Reactions: ILuvMySubaru2

·
Registered
124 Posts
My latest

Loaded the car up 2 humans 2 100lb dogs and took off to a 6500 ft elevation climb up Big Bear. Really got the engine and trans super hot. Did several grapevine runs also. Drove with lots throttle pulling that weight.

This seems to have smoothed out the shutter in the transmission quite a bit. Seems the issue is the clutch pack (multi disk) on the side of the transmission was the shuttering issue. The plates feel like they surfaced. This combined with a proper alignment is making a difference.

Just wanted to update Y'All :)

·
Registered
477 Posts
Needs to be done at the dealership with a special computer program that connects the laptop through the OBDII port. Have to lift the car and disable ES as the car is shifted into all gears by the laptop computer program while in the air so the car can run through all drive gears including neutral to relearn the shifting back into the ECM/TCM. Watched it the entire time. Happy to talk about it if you like. PM me and I'll send you my cell but wasn't a big deal at all and very easy and took little time.
Interesting they do that with no load on the drive - feels to me like the shuddering occurs when the engine doesn't generate enough torque for the resistance it needs to overcome and the CVT ranges a bit. For a CVT the run should be a continuum, but they do have ratiometric set points for the paddle shifters.

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
We don't have too many miles on the car I just "officially" bought today...like just under 200, but I have not experienced any shudder to date. They did the TSB on the CVT once it arrived and I was there to watch the tech perform each and every available update. Hopefully, we'll never witness the shuddering.

·
Registered
124 Posts
We don't have too many miles on the car I just "officially" bought today...like just under 200, but I have not experienced any shudder to date. They did the TSB on the CVT once it arrived and I was there to watch the tech perform each and every available update. Hopefully, we'll never witness the shuddering.
Some of the clutch plates are more smooth then others

Its now something I have no concern about as it will go away or the clutch pack will wear out.

I just wish subaru would enplane this properly however I know nothing seems to be the norm with them :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello from Australia (Perth).
So I've had my Impreza 2.0i-S for a month now and right from day 1 the car has been shuddering at low acceleration, uphill, and sometimes cruising at 70km/h. I also notice the car jolts forward when engaging from reverse to drive.
I notice people here mention about TSB 11-172-17. How can I get a copy of this TSB.

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
You don't need a copy, just make an appointment with your dealer and reference the TSB.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello from Australia (Perth).
So I've had my Impreza 2.0i-S for a month now and right from day 1 the car has been shuddering at low acceleration, uphill, and sometimes cruising at 70km/h. I also notice the car jolts forward when engaging from reverse to drive.
I notice people here mention about TSB 11-172-17. How can I get a copy of this TSB.
So the shuddering just got worse and after several visits to the dealer, they could not find what the issue is. According to them the software is up to date and nothing they can do until Subaru Japan releases a fix for this issue.
Received a call last week from the dealer to take the car in (was hoping it was a fix), but they wanted to test drive again and download data from the vehicle. After many hours, they suggested to use fuel with higher octane (95) as opposed to the 91 as the spec says. So I did and guess what, only very slight shudder now and the vehicle responds better during under acceleration. Going to try it out for a month to see how it goes and then report back to dealer.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Had the same experience here. Higher octane will help but it is only treating the symptom, not the root cause. In my case, it came back after a couple weeks on 93. Seems to be spark knock caused by carbon buildup on the valves or upper cylinder. I would ask the dealer to perform the upper engine cleaning service, or DIY with a bottle of Seafoam through a vacuum hose.

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
You should NOT have to use anything other than 87 in these cars. catamounts is correct...treating the symptom and NOT the root cause of the issue. Keep pushing your dealer to make it right or document this well and lemon law the car.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Hey guys, glad I found this thread. At first I thought that I'm hallucinating, but now I'm convinced that the car jerks/kicks back during slow driving or decelerating around 10-20mph. I have a brand new Subaru Impreza 2018 5door Premium trim. I had installed a hitch and I know that kind of voids the warranty and hate to take it off to bring it to the dealer and then install it back (so I'm just dealing with the issue and hoping it will go away after the break-in period), but I'm not pulling any trailers, just a bike rack. Car was jerking even before I have installed a hitch. I have about 800mi on odometer now.
Thanks

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
^^^why would your hitch void your warranty???

·
Registered
34 Posts
^^^why would your hitch void your warranty???

This is dealer's response to my e-mail about hitch recommendation:
" I went back to our service and parts department to ask about the trailering situation, knowing that the Impreza isn't rated for towing. We don't offer any kind of hitch, but even if we did I doubt it would be 2000lbs, since the Crosstrek is only rated for 1,500lbs. Most importantly though, our service department advised that if you were to get an aftermarket hitch put on, it would void your warranty, and I would hate to see that happen to you especially if you weren't aware of it happening. I hope this helps! Thanks"

·
Registered
477 Posts
I wonder what SoA will say on this if you send them an email asking if hitch installation will affect your vehicle warranty.

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
If you install a hitch for the purpose of a BIKE RACK, this is a non-issue. People with Subaru's do it every day without issue. Just another case of an idiot dealer...they really need to crack down on their dealer network!

Reactions: Mrniceguy8211

·
Registered
34 Posts
I wonder what SoA will say on this if you send them an email asking if hitch installation will affect your vehicle warranty.
I might as well do that, will keep you posted.
As for car shuddering, I was anticipating it while driving yesterday and I think I barely noticed it. Could it be just me getting used to it or jerking motion just disappeared?

121 - 140 of 157 Posts