5th Gen Subaru Impreza Forum banner
141 - 157 of 157 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
I might as well do that, will keep you posted.
As for car shuddering, I was anticipating it while driving yesterday and I think I barely noticed it. Could it be just me getting used to it or jerking motion just disappeared?

Sorry to res such an old thread, but I'm curious what the verdict was on the warranty and installing a rear hitch for a bike rack. I'm wanting to do this myself, but was worried about my warranty.

Fwiw, I also experience the jerkiness/downshifting feeling when driving slowly. This is my first car with a CVT, so I sort of thought they were all like this. I test drove 4 different 2019 Imprezas and 3 different 2019 Crosstreks and they all had differing levels of "drag" when coasting/driving at low speeds. They were just really inconsistent. The Impreza I bought had the least engine brake feel to it, but it's definitely still there. Did you get any fix for this at the dealership on yours? Or now that you've owned the car longer, has it gone away? (Mine is just shy of 3k miles, so quite new.)

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
Sorry to res such an old thread, but I'm curious what the verdict was on the warranty and installing a rear hitch for a bike rack. I'm wanting to do this myself, but was worried about my warranty.
There is no warranty concern for adding a hitch to a vehicle.

·
Registered
525 Posts
It should NEVER shudder...period. No "breaking in" of a transmission.
Actually, it is the COMPUTER learning your driving-habits. Lets not forget that the computer controls EVERY aspect of the ratio-changes. (based on ambient temp, throttle-position, engine-RPM, engine-temp....etc)

Anytime we we get a sudden change in ambient temp.... I can tell the shifting is a little 'goofy' for awhile. Specifically, below 38F really changes things.

If one does not take care to "backup" the power when changing the battery, the computer may forget and have to relearn all over again. (simple 9V battery will suffice)

·
Registered
14 Posts
There is no warranty concern for adding a hitch to a vehicle.

Awesome, that's great to hear. Again, I'm not planning to tow anything, just want to put on a rear bike rack.

Actually, it is the COMPUTER learning your driving-habits. Lets not forget that the computer controls EVERY aspect of the ratio-changes. (based on ambient temp, throttle-position, engine-RPM, engine-temp....etc)

Anytime we we get a sudden change in ambient temp.... I can tell the shifting is a little 'goofy' for awhile. Specifically, below 38F really changes things.

If one does not take care to "backup" the power when changing the battery, the computer may forget and have to relearn all over again. (simple 9V battery will suffice)

That's pretty interesting. I have been noticing it happening far less the past couple weeks, so I think it's figuring me out. Machine learning, am I right?

I know it shouldn’t shudder, but I think hes talking about that jerky motion that a lot of people experienced at lower speeds

Yeah, I can't speak for OP but what I was experiencing wasn't so much shuddering but just a feel of downshifting/engine braking when coasting at low speeds. As if I were driving a manual and instead of putting it in neutral to drift to a stop, I downshifted through each gear as I slowed down. But as I said, I have noticed it happening far less, so I think it's going away. It has been getting warmer here too though, so the car isn't getting as cold I guess which might effect it too, I dunno.

·
Registered
7 Posts

I own a 2020 hatch and since buying it the weather here has been pretty mild. I live one Atlanta and we’re suffering through another one of our infamous weird middle winter patterns where it’s beautiful one morning and then raining, then 40 degrees colder the next day.

the fluctuating temps have been weird on my car, which is still under 1k miles. I’ve noticed no stuttering, but the transmission has definitely been jerky and irritable at really low speeds and light throttle over the last 2 days. I was worried it might be an ECM issue since my wife had a cvt before that did this, albeit a different car manufacturer. This change also coincided with a temp change to below 40 degrees.

Prior to this it was smooth through low throttle. And when I gas it w little harder (while minding my break in“rules”) it takes off smoothly and the CVT preforms better than expected.

I’m hoping that the dealer will tell me it’s normal at my 1k checkup/oil change! I suspect it is but just want to be sure. I’m still learning my Impreza, and of course want her to have a long and healthy life.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I own a 2020 hatch and since buying it the weather here has been pretty mild. I live one Atlanta and we’re suffering through another one of our infamous weird middle winter patterns where it’s beautiful one morning and then raining, then 40 degrees colder the next day.

the fluctuating temps have been weird on my car, which is still under 1k miles. I’ve noticed no stuttering, but the transmission has definitely been jerky and irritable at really low speeds and light throttle over the last 2 days. I was worried it might be an ECM issue since my wife had a cvt before that did this, albeit a different car manufacturer. This change also coincided with a temp change to below 40 degrees.

Prior to this it was smooth through low throttle. And when I gas it w little harder (while minding my break in“rules”) it takes off smoothly and the CVT preforms better than expected.

I’m hoping that the dealer will tell me it’s normal at my 1k checkup/oil change! I suspect it is but just want to be sure. I’m still learning my Impreza, and of course want her to have a long and healthy life.
Try a top tier gasoline, to see if it takes care of the hesitation.

·
Registered
7 Posts
So I actually had the same thought (preignition at lower temps). I switched to strictly non ethanol (typically better quality) and at a little higher octane rating, and it definitely seems to have helped. I’ve had way less hesitation and smoother acceleration, even when it kicks down at harder throttle.

correct me if I’m wrong, but I went from a low compression economy Nissan engine to this one (which is away different piston setup/compression ratio) and it seems to respond way differently to small changes. The updated year of the car may make a difference too, due to I’m sure much improved ECM over my old 2012 versa, but I’m not used to a car like my new imp.

regardless, I’ve learned she really seems to like better gasoline at lower temps. Significant change in performance at low and high throttle

·
Registered
7 Posts
After trying top tier gasoline, and you're still having issues. Remove the carbon charcoal filter located next to the engine air filter.

·
Registered
17 Posts
A lot of us bought these cars because of the low octane fuel requirement. Suggesting someone run with a more pricier and richer octane fuel to get “correct” performance from the engine is bullshit.

My 19’ hatchback already gets horrible mpg compared to quoted values and I’m having all the problems listed in this thread at low speeds.

·
Registered
7 Posts
A lot of us bought these cars because of the low octane fuel requirement. Suggesting someone run with a more pricier and richer octane fuel to get “correct” performance from the engine is bullshit.

My 19’ hatchback already gets horrible mpg compared to quoted values and I’m having all the problems listed in this thread at low speeds.
Don't use cheap noname gasoline! Use only name brand like Mobil, Exxon, or Shell gasoline. If you're still having issues, remove the carbon filter located next to the air filter.

·
Registered
3 Posts
POV It's 2021, and your 2017 5dr has 71k on it and is up to date with every software update, and the problem still persists.

·
Registered
14 Posts
POV It's 2021, and your 2017 5dr has 71k on it and is up to date with every software update, and the problem still persists.
The CVT chain could be slipping. There are tests the dealer can conduct to confirm.
Here's a list of possible symptoms:

Font Circle Rectangle Number Magenta

Here's the TSB for 2017- 22MY: MC-10199954-0001.pdf (nhtsa.gov)
Covered under 5 yr, 60k mi powertrain warranty.
The 2017-18MY CVT warranty has been extended to 10 yr, 100k mi.

·
Registered
3 Posts
The CVT chain could be slipping. There are tests the dealer can conduct to confirm.
Here's a list of possible symptoms:

View attachment 26304

Here's the TSB for 2017- 22MY: MC-10199954-0001.pdf (nhtsa.gov)
Covered under 5 yr, 60k mi powertrain warranty.
The 2017-18MY CVT warranty has been extended to 10 yr, 100k mi.
interesting, i wish i could just manual swap this thing. Im going to have to look into this! Im going to guess you had the same issue and fixing the chain fixed it?

·
Registered
14 Posts
interesting, i wish i could just manual swap this thing. Im going to have to look into this! Im going to guess you had the same issue and fixing the chain fixed it?
I have a Xtrek which has the same transmission. I haven't had the chain slip issue but I monitor the TSBs.

141 - 157 of 157 Posts