5th Gen Subaru Impreza Forum banner

Nameless Exhaust - 5” muffler or muffler delete?

12K views 21 replies 10 participants last post by  Cwilbur 
#1 ·
I’ve been thinking about getting a nameless exhaust (the original one, not the newer quad-tip one) for my 2017 sport hatch. Which do you guys prefer, the 5” muffler or the total muffler delete? I live in a residential area, but loud cars are common. I have the CVT and not the manual, and do mainly backroad driving with very little time on highways (weird, I know).

#6 ·
While how loud is loud depends on your point of view. I have the 5" version and it is on the loud side. I know someone here contacted nameless and they got them to make an8" muffler version. Had I known I would have gone that way however I still like my 5" version. I have some pics here and if you look in the comments there are videos with sound

Nameless Performance Axle Back w/ 5" Muffler - 2019 Subaru Impreza Sport 5 door hatch - Manual

If you want to hear what the muffler delete sound like, just unhook your muffler at the back. Pretty much the same thing and it's easy, just two bolts. It won't hurt to just do it for a few minutes to have a listen. The cats and resonator in the system do quiet things down somewhat.

#9 ·
While how loud is loud depends on your point of view. I have the 5" version and it is on the loud side. I know someone here contacted nameless and they got them to make an8" muffler version. Had I known I would have gone that way however I still like my 5" version. I have some pics here and if you look in the comments there are videos with sound

Nameless Performance Axle Back w/ 5" Muffler - 2019 Subaru Impreza Sport 5 door hatch - Manual

If you want to hear what the muffler delete sound like, just unhook your muffler at the back. Pretty much the same thing and it's easy, just two bolts. It won't hurt to just do it for a few minutes to have a listen. The cats and resonator in the system do quiet things down somewhat.
The 5” sounds nice, especially with the little pops when you let off the gas. How bad is the drone on the highway? This is my daily driver.

#7 ·
If you like to open it up Often a quieter setup will give you more guilt free smiles.

The nameless setup will still make plenty of noise. Personally I don't care for muffler deletes but I don't judge.
I had a Corsa on my 86 for 2 years and loved it. Now I am back on the stock exhaust after adding a catless header.

#8 ·
I open it up a solid bit. Besides the insurance, part of the reason I ended up with an Impreza sport instead of a WRX is because I’d rather drive a slow car fast and be able to push it hard than drive a fast car at 50% of its potential all the time (I want a WRX, but I’m trying to tell myself that I have essentially a four door BRZ). So it sounds like the 5” would be the better option.

#10 ·
I once had a car with a straight-pipe that I used to rally; it was an Omni GLH Turbo. For racing, I guess the lack of backpressure helped, but man, was it LOUD! Add to that, being a turbo it would often backfire on deceleration, which sounded like a canon shot! It got rather tiring on the rare occasion I took it out for a drive on the highway that was longer than 10 miles. Also, the lack of backpressure screwed-up the engine settings, making it hard to drive smoothly. Low-speed drivability was pretty poor without a muffler.

#11 ·
It does drone somewhat at least according to my wife. It's worse from the rear seat of course. I don't mind it at all. I need a little sound to my car it's just a personal preference. While I know it's a little juvenile, I do really like the pops when slowing down. I can sort of make it happen by downshifting when comign to a stop rather than just stopping with the clutch in. Having come from a BRZ, I can say they are two very different animals, the BRZ being RWD, but I still really have fun driving the Impreza.

Reactions: longboy
#12 ·
Sadly, I have the CVT. This being my first car, my parents wanted the eyesight system, and even though I’ve already learned manual on my dads car they didn’t want me worrying with changing gears. Do you think downshifting with the paddles on the CVT would create those pops? I use the paddles most of the time, and they honestly do a great job with being responsive and making the car feel like it had physical gears.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.