5th Gen Subaru Impreza Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, this is my first thread, here's writeup on my exhaust install.

I got the Nameless Performance Axelback Exhaust with the 5" muffler. Shipped in about a week. Super easy install, was done in about 45 minutes including filming audio and video.

Packaging was pretty good, lots of stuffing and very secure. Contained the packing slip, exhaust, and hardware in a little plastic bag.

Installing is simple, as follows:
  1. Back car onto ramps or jack up rear end for easier access. Always be safe and chock a wheel in case it rolls.
  2. Grab a couple 14mm sockets or a wrench and remove the bolts from the flange on the factory muffler. This can be a little tricky fitting the ratchet/wrench in the right spot.
  3. Spray the factory muffler hangers with some lube, WD-40 or equivilent. This allows you to grab the rubber hangers and slide them off the factory muffler hangers.
  4. Remove the factory muffler from the car, set aside.
  5. Insert the Nameless Axelback into the rubber exhaust hangers, and fiddle with them until the flanges line up.
  6. Insert the supplied exhaust flange gasket in between the flanges, and insert the bolts through the holes.
  7. If you live in a rustly climate, or even if you don't, you might want to consider protecting the bolts with some Never-Seez / Anti-Sieze or something of the like.
  8. Use your handy 14mm whatever to tighten down the bolts, alternating as you approach maximum tightness to evenly squish the gasket.
  9. Fiddle with the exhaust hangers some more until the axelback is straight and level. All done.
Enjoy crackles and pops! :smile2:

Here is a video comparison of the stock exhaust to the Nameless Axelback with 5" Muffler:

Attachments

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hey man, I just installed mine and I can't tighten the bolts any tighter? I can still shake the exhaust and it doesn't seem sealed and tight like the factory exhaust. Is this normal?

·
Registered
59 Posts
I just ordered mine. Do you have an idea how long it usually takes to get it made/delivered?
I ordered mine on the 10th (early morning)... today will be the 5th business day my order has been under the status: entered build queue.

They disclose lead time being 2 weeks or more if out of stock.... I'm really hoping it doesn't take that long.

Do you have any updates?

·
Registered
165 Posts
I just ordered mine. Do you have an idea how long it usually takes to get it made/delivered?
I ordered mine on the 10th (early morning)... today will be the 5th business day my order has been under the status: entered build queue.

They disclose lead time being 2 weeks or more if out of stock.... I'm really hoping it doesn't take that long.

Do you have any updates?
Yeah it got here yesterday, after finally being shipped the 10th? I installed it in a heartbeat and I am so happy that I made the purchase

·
Banned
83 Posts
I’m probably going to order this exhaust for my hatch. Just curious, did you notice any difference in power delivery or power curve. I know that AB kits aren’t supposed to affect any performance, but I’ve read some reviews of some saying that it adjusted the power delivery a bit.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Hey man, I just installed mine and I can't tighten the bolts any tighter? I can still shake the exhaust and it doesn't seem sealed and tight like the factory exhaust. Is this normal?
When installing an new muffler in my Miata the bolts were to be torqued to only 25 ft-lbs. The directions had in bold print “DO NOT OVER TORQUE”. You may have bent the flange. I would hope torque specs were included in the directions with the Nameless exhaust.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I’m probably going to order this exhaust for my hatch. Just curious, did you notice any difference in power delivery or power curve. I know that AB kits aren’t supposed to affect any performance, but I’ve read some reviews of some saying that it adjusted the power delivery a bit.
I don't *think* the power delivery changed at all. The ECU has some learning ability to it, but my guess is the minimally reduced back pressure that far down the line won't make a difference. What I have noticed is over time I think the car began to pop a little more on downshifts. Might be learning my driving style, or might be learning the exhaust, or both, or neither. Maybe it's a placebo effect.

TLDR; I don't really notice a difference.

When installing an new muffler in my Miata the bolts were to be torqued to only 25 ft-lbs. The directions had in bold print “DO NOT OVER TORQUE”. You may have bent the flange. I would hope torque specs were included in the directions with the Nameless exhaust.
I don't remember any torque specs in the installation instructions. I just torqued them (evenly back and forth, that's important) by hand as tight as I could with a ratchet with like a 6-8" long handle. Nothing crazy.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I just picked up one of these this past weekend and had it installed within a similar time frame. The one recommendation I would make would be to install the passenger size hanger first, then go with the other two on the drivers side.

Well worth the money, even on an automatic.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I don't think the power delivery changed at all. The ECU has some learning ability to it, but my guess is the minimally reduced back pressure that far down the line won't make a difference. What I have noticed is over time I think the car began to pop a little more on downshifts. Might be learning my driving style, or might be learning the exhaust, or both, or neither. Maybe it's a placebo effect.

TLDR; I don't really notice a difference.

I don't remember any torque specs in the installation instructions. I just torqued them (evenly back and forth, that's important) by hand as tight as I could with a ratchet with like a 6-8" long handle. Nothing crazy.
6-8" handle ratchet hand tight is well over 25ft lbs if that's the tq. Trick is to hand tighten while holding top of ratchet if you have reasonable strength. The exhaust will move if you shake it, its on rubber hangers. And for record, no install procedures included. Anyways installed mine without tq wrench and have no issues with the a flange gap and no leak. Even if it were to leak a tiny bit (lick finger to test) it shouldn't affect anything. Did notice flange on factory was better but overall quality axleback. LOVE the sound. Got mine in 5" muffler to make it easier to shift (hear when)

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I would say so. Maybe someone who swapped more recently can answer more accurately.
Will you notice it driving the car? No.

·
Registered
49 Posts
So, I just installed mine yesterday. For the most part I like it but on the highway ~80 mph while cruising at around 3k RPMs, it's borderline really loud/droning. Like I really have to turn up the audio, loud. 70 mph cruising sounds almost stock. Is this typical?

·
Registered
2019 Subaru Impreza Sport 5 Dr. Manual Shift
205 Posts
I would say that's typical not of just this but most aftermarket (louder) exhausts I've installed. The caveat is everyone's opinion of loud is on the subjective side. In general, I think this Impreza (mine is a 2019 5dr) has the most NVH of scoobies I've owned even before the muffler change. My Legacy 2010 3.6R and 2002 OB VDC are / were the most quiet in the cabin. I think that my Impreza is even louder inside than my BRZ. Reason may be that I now have a hatch. I sat in back of the Impreza for the first time the other week. My son likes to drive a stick and I've yet to have someone sit in the back. It was pretty loud with this muffler back there even to me. Worse than in the front. I'm okay with it though, I like the sound and it's what I expected. I'm guessing if you have a sedan, it may be quieter just because of the trunk space may insulate the sound more.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Yeah, it's noticeably louder in the back on my hatch. My big issue with that is that my dog rides in the back with me almost everywhere. I'm giving it a week to see if I want to keep it. If I do, I'll add a lot of sound deadening on the spare well and see if it helps.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Tbh I don't notice much of a difference between 70mph and 80mph on the highway. On load it's always louder, and 3500rpm is kind of a peak loudness area, which happens to be right around 80mph. Out of curiosity, how loud is "loud" on the radio? Because I consider "normal" listening volume 12-15, and highway volume to be 18-20. Never any higher than that. I do have an aftermarket amp and speakers, but my volume numbers didn't change much from before I upgraded. Driving with the windows down is certainly way louder than my exhaust.

·
Registered
2019 Subaru Impreza Sport 5 Dr. Manual Shift
205 Posts
I have to confess, and I know it's kind of juvenile, but I really love the burble when you downshift and engine brake. I've been wanting to make a decent recording from inside the cabin. I have some decent equipment to do that.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I have to confess, and I know it's kind of juvenile, but I really love the burble when you downshift and engine brake. I've been wanting to make a decent recording from inside the cabin. I have some decent equipment to do that.
I also have audio gear to do that, but haven't recorded anything since this original video. But yeah every once in a while it burbles and pops a littttttle more loudly than normal, and you can feel it in your butt, and I think, "this must be what cool WRX owners feel like."

1 - 20 of 25 Posts