5th Gen Subaru Impreza Forum banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Tbh I don't notice much of a difference between 70mph and 80mph on the highway. On load it's always louder, and 3500rpm is kind of a peak loudness area, which happens to be right around 80mph. Out of curiosity, how loud is "loud" on the radio? Because I consider "normal" listening volume 12-15, and highway volume to be 18-20. Never any higher than that. I do have an aftermarket amp and speakers, but my volume numbers didn't change much from before I upgraded. Driving with the windows down is certainly way louder than my exhaust.
I have an aftermarket radio, speakers, amp and sub. 18-20 is my highway volume, depending on the song. 25ish starts sounding like a rock concert SPL wise. 22-23 is what I had to use and even then the exhaust kinda overpowers the low end. Still, I'm not ready to give up on this. Did some quick research at work and bought some MLV and 236 mil sound deadening material. Hopefully good results this weekend.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
I have an aftermarket radio, speakers, amp and sub. 18-20 is my highway volume, depending on the song. 25ish starts sounding like a rock concert SPL wise. 22-23 is what I had to use and even then the exhaust kinda overpowers the low end. Still, I'm not ready to give up on this. Did some quick research at work and bought some MLV and 236 mil sound deadening material. Hopefully good results this weekend.
Yeah sound deadening should do wonders.

Volume at 22, I get peak SPLs of 105dB A-weighted while listening to a CD which is the loudest and most dynamic source. Which, humble brag, is pretty damn impressive. But frankly if you need it that loud to "get over your exhaust," you should probably re-evaluate your perception of sound. Or add more sub. Low end definitely disappears first, from engine noise and road noise masking it. I almost did a research project on that in college. My sub level while driving is a little much while stationary. Also, the factory head unit rolls off bass once you start going past 22ish. So there's a chance you just need more gain in your system so that 20-22 is your "max volume." That's how I set mine up. 22 gets me 105dB, and that's more than enough lol.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Yeah sound deadening should do wonders.

Volume at 22, I get peak SPLs of 105dB A-weighted while listening to a CD which is the loudest and most dynamic source. Which, humble brag, is pretty damn impressive. But frankly if you need it that loud to "get over your exhaust," you should probably re-evaluate your perception of sound. Or add more sub. Low end definitely disappears first, from engine noise and road noise masking it. I almost did a research project on that in college. My sub level while driving is a little much while stationary. Also, the factory head unit rolls off bass once you start going past 22ish. So there's a chance you just need more gain in your system so that 20-22 is your "max volume." That's how I set mine up. 22 gets me 105dB, and that's more than enough lol.
Yup, you're pretty much spot on. I have an 8" Infinity Kappa sub that I leave the gain around 1/3, mostly because a chunk of my listening is older classic rock like Bowie and Cheap Trick mixed in with some electric swing, garbo techno and punk. This seems to be the sweet spot for those genres. I'll mess with the settings some more but I really need to do that sound deadening first. Worst case scenario is the car will have less road noise if I go back to stock.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Yes the nameless can have a little drone( 5" for me), but, that's only above 70mph. If your asking a 150hp car to do more than 70 @3k (manual) and not drone/start "pumping".....expectations are a little ehh tbh. Idk maybe my loud a** truck has made me a little less sensitive. I will say though, the max volume on the radio, and way more so, the Bluetooth is lacking. It could be louder but Subaru limited that for sure. Probably to reduce blown speaker /tweeter claims hah

·
Registered
78 Posts
Installed mine today (thanks sedrubaru), and it definitely has some volume to it. First start when it was cold I actually thought "uh-oh I've made a mistake..." but after 20 seconds or so when it idled down, it was much better sounding. Took it for a little drive, gets a little loud under acceleration before shifts, but overall I like it so far. Well see what my wife says next time shes in the car, haha.

While I expected the noise, it gives a little more vibration or hum through the chassis and interior than I thought. Maybe I just need some time to get used to it. FWIW, I just had the rough running engine taken care of a new dealership (ECU update to correct misfiring) and for the last 5 days I was surprised by how much smoother and quieter the car was running. It was night and day difference in the way it ran and physically felt while driving. Changed that again real quick with the exhaust, lol.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts