5th Gen Subaru Impreza Forum banner

Need help with tire size

Tags
tires
10K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  Chris86 
#1 ·
I am looking at some new wheels and tires for my Impreza. I’m wondering if 235/65/17 would fit on my bone stock Impreza or would I be rubbing and smashing the fender all day? Thanks in advance for your help!

#4 ·
50 would be a good size. Many people try to get a tire that just fits inside the fender, forgetting about bumps.

For sure. The longer I've had my Impreza, the more differences I find between it and the Crosstrek. A lot of people think a Crosstrek is just a lifted Impreza. There are several differences between the two. Fender size is a big one.

#6 ·
As you’ll see above 55 seems to be the maximum height you can swing before you have scrubbing issues(where the tire rubs on the car). 215 is probably as wide as you’d want to go as well unless you run aftermarket mud flaps. With 215s on my Impreza occasionally I’ll kick up rocks and such against the mirrors or side of the car because the wheels stick out just a tad too much for my factory mud flaps

#8 ·
Fitting is one thing but even tires that fit can sometimes effect the handling. Also, you should have the appropriate wheel width for a tire as well. Plugging in the numbers, assuming I guessed right on your current wheel. Using this site

https://www.wheel-size.com/calc/?wheel1=205-50-17X7ET55&wheel2=245-65-17X7ET55&fcl=1.96875in&scl=1.96875in&wcl=1.1875in&sr=0in

That tire size on your wheel has these watch outs:

When speedometer reads 60 km/h actual speed will be 70.7 km/h
egative scrub radius (about -²³⁄₃₂"). Scrub radius will be changed by -²³⁄₃₂", this may affect the car's handling. Please check manufacturer recommendations. Please be aware that calculated value is approximate.
If you want to us that size you should go wider with the wheel.

That site is a good place to start and test out various combinations.

Reactions: salamatpoo
#9 ·
Good info, I just use the old tried and true, math to calculate size, then measure, do some test fitments and drives. I went cautiously and can easily fit a larger tire with plenty of clearance. using something similar the tire shop said my size wouldn't fit, but it does and drives rides and handles much better then stock. once my winter tires are used up I am going to change them as well.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.