5th Gen Subaru Impreza Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. I've had my Sport 5spd for about 6 months now. Great car although it still has it's bugs. First time Subaru,or import car for that matter, even tho it's built in Indiana. I live in NW Pa and Purchased before dealership debut. Was shopping for wrx hatch but after test driving this car it's handling and price comparison verse new and used got me. This car handles great! Just needs more hp! So I'm steady looking for gains. I know there isn't much yet but since I can't seem to find any talks of a wrx or sti coming in the 5 door someone will have to pick up the slack...I hope for wagon enthusiasts. The boxer motor is new to me. I am familar with small block and big block motors hence my user name(Motor in my other Wagon 5mpg sucks but 10's in the 1/4 don't). I have had the recall for rear cam and ecm done. Radio presets do disappear, freeze up occasionally, doesn't recognize Android auto all the time, and just the other day my vehicle presets changed?!? Stop sounding chirp at lock and unlock. Just bugs tho in my opinion. The only thing I have done at this point is a muffler delete. Sounds good to me. It is a little on the loud side and vibration thru chassis increased. No performance gains /loss in my opinion. Possibly freed up a little in high rpm with reduce back pressure. Would like to redo exits thru rear defuser, either center or removing rectangle reflectors and exit dual at corners. Hard to cut up a new car tho... i do think it would reduce droning going straight out instead of pointing at ground. If you guys know of any proven hp gains or talks please let me know.

·
Premium Member
2017 Mazda CX-5 Sport
2,186 Posts
I don't think anyone has made a turbo for this engine yet, that would be the only way for real power and if you did it you could kiss your warranty goodbye.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think we are a couple years away from bolt on FI systems. Not looking for crazy hp gains just things to give it an edge on the other trims to go with the "sport tuned" suspension. I think there is something to be unlocked in the tune it's self. This car is designed, at least to my understanding, for economy so it has to be tuned for efficiency not power. Free up flow with a good exhaust and tweaking the tune could be the edge. I do like the 29-30mpg average on the work commute tho.

·
Registered
215 Posts
I have wondered if a tune would do anything do gain power and reduce the rev hang in the MT. I know very little about tunes and such, if they are available for this car or how much they typically cost but I may call around a few local places and see what they say.

·
Registered
320 Posts
I have wondered if a tune would do anything do gain power and reduce the rev hang in the MT. I know very little about tunes and such, if they are available for this car or how much they typically cost but I may call around a few local places and see what they say.
I didn't drive the 5 speed Impreza but I did drive the 6 speed Forester when I was shopping. I couldn't believe how much rev hang there was, apparently that's not uncommon emissions "feature" on manual cars these days, so I'm told by friends with other brands. I'm sure I could have gotten used to it but it did take some adjusting during the test drive.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I mentioned it at my 1st recall because I thought there was an issue and it being excessive. Use to it now.

·
Registered
215 Posts
The BRZ has a 2.0 4 liter boxer just like the Impreza and it has 200 HP. Is it the cars and engines are tuned differently? Are the engines actually different? Is the Impreza 2.0 engine capable of 200 HP with a tune? Seems almost impossible that there isn?t something hidden in the Impreza in terms of HP that could be brought out with a tune.

·
Registered
320 Posts
The BRZ has a 2.0 4 liter boxer just like the Impreza and it has 200 HP. Is it the cars and engines are tuned differently? Are the engines actually different? Is the Impreza 2.0 engine capable of 200 HP with a tune? Seems almost impossible that there isn?t something hidden in the Impreza in terms of HP that could be brought out with a tune.
I don't know how much the components differ beyond this one point: I am fairly certain the BRZ is both direct and port injected whereas the '17 Impreza is just port injected. There could be other differences in the internals.

·
Registered
857 Posts
I don't know how much the components differ beyond this one point: I am fairly certain the BRZ is both direct and port injected whereas the '17 Impreza is just port injected. There could be other differences in the internals.
The 2017 Impreza is direct injection.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The motor in the 2017 impreza is new. Like no other. 80% different from last year. Lighten internals, high compression, and of course direct injen.
The BRZ houses the FA20D. Impreza has FB20D. Correct me if im wrong, i am new to Subaru.
The 2.0 is misleading. The engines differ completely aside from same compression because of the direct injen.
Different bore, stroke, assuming heads, different cams. I do not think the fb20d shares anything other than the block with any older engines. It's on its own road. I wish it was as simple as throwing the BRZ tune on This motor but it's not. I could explain more but it's time for dinner. ?

·
Registered
215 Posts
I knew it wouldn?t be that easy, but do you think there is power in this engine that can be brought out with a tune? Is tuning a natural aspirated motor even something worthwhile? Could it reduce the rev hang if nothing else?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Rev hang helps eliminate oil consumption. It is in the tune but it helps manage crank case pressure. Tuning a NA car doesn't get huge number gains but can get gains and tweak power curve. But who knows if it's not under tuned for emissions and fuel efficiency. It is a new engine you could get significant gains...who knows? Plus I think it could handle higher rev limiter. It makes max hp at limiter. It has to level for a bit I can't see it diving off or it coming from factory with the limiter at the max capabilities of cams and valvetran. My NA big block makes max hp of 670 at 6200 rpm and only drops slightly up to 7400 with the biggest drop after 7000 rpm.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts