5th Gen Subaru Impreza Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just did this fog light install today with H11 LED switchbacks. 6000k or the yellow fog color you can have either or with a flick of the switch. Way better looking at night. The yellow is way more vivid in person. Does anyone know how to change the connection from the old DRL lens to what would be the DRL in a non sport impreza? I obviously lost my drls when I did this. Just wanted to add them back into the headlights like a non sport impreza does.

·
ModFather
2019 Subaru Impreza Sport 5 Dr. Manual Shift
1,031 Posts
If I understand correctly you have a sport and installed regular fogs in place of the DRL's. You wired the fogs up with some sort of kit I'm guessing? You want to setup the way the DRL's work in most other models, using the high beam on low power so you have DRL's. Is that right?

I'm not sure it's possible because the wiring is not the same in the sport. The original DRL's, the sport ones, have full power going to them. I know because that's how I power my aftermarket fogs in my sport during the day. The others that use the high beams on low power for DRL's have some wiring / programming to run them at half power. I'm not sure how they accomplish that.

The short answer is the OEM DRL harness for the sport was specific to the DRL assembly. The other models just use the high beam harness to the high beam's bulb.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If I understand correctly you have a sport and installed regular fogs in place of the DRL's. You wired the fogs up with some sort of kit I'm guessing? You want to setup the way the DRL's work in most other models, using the high beam on low power so you have DRL's. Is that right?

I'm not sure it's possible because the wiring is not the same in the sport. The original DRL's, the sport ones, have full power going to them. I know because that's how I power my aftermarket fogs in my sport during the day. The others that use the high beams on low power for DRL's have some wiring / programming to run them at half power. I'm not sure how they accomplish that.

The short answer is the OEM DRL harness for the sport was specific to the DRL assembly. The other models just use the high beam harness to the high beam's bulb.
Exactly. I'm going to be changing my low and highbeams to LED as well. I don't know if that makes it easier. I know I can trigger off of the output from the harness for the led DRL. That would give full power to the led highbeam when the drl would be on. I think that would also piss off some people. I could just drive around with no drl but I'd like some sort of drl on my car. Should I tap the front parking lights instead?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Trying to come up with ideas. I'm at least very happy with the fog lights. I have the relay triggered off of the instrument pannel light 12v. So when the lights or parking lights are active I have the ability to turn on my fogs. The other bonus is they don't turn off when the highbeams come on.

·
ModFather
1,031 Posts
What I did was use the subispeed harness to power my fogs, this way the fogs are on all the time. In order to do this though and not tax the wiring, I went to LED's in the high and low beams. The harness draws off of the low beams to power the fogs when the DRL's are off. The halogen low beams are pretty high draw but switching to LED fogs and low beams the wiring has not issues.

When I was thinking about setting it up I had asked the question here:

What I ended up doing

Link to my install:

Diode Dynamic Fog Light Install 2019 Impreza Sport

·
Registered
3 Posts
Your dealership should be able to switch the DRL to the high beam, but it'll cost at least $70 and they'll probably fight you on it saying they can't.

·
ModFather
1,031 Posts
My guess is this is something that, if possible, would be done with a Subaru specific Tool (I think it's called Select Monitor) that gets into the car's system to change settings and stuff like that.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Did you have it done? Do you know what they did or do to do this?
I had it changed the other way from what you want to do, they have to change a setting in one of the computers, my dealership had to call Subaru's techline to figure it out.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm going to try to figure it out with wiring and a relay. I just don't have the time right now and it's not really that big of a deal.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I'm going to try to figure it out with wiring and a relay. I just don't have the time right now and it's not really that big of a deal.
Keep in mind, you start screwing with wiring, you give them excuses if something electrical happens.
Take the time to get the dealer to do the switch.

When I added a hitch to out Outback, there were much cheaper 4 pin harnesses, but again, if you ever have an issue they tend to find things to use to get out of warranty so I paid for the Subaru harness.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Keep in mind, you start screwing with wiring, you give them excuses if something electrical happens.
Take the time to get the dealer to do the switch.

When I added a hitch to out Outback, there were much cheaper 4 pin harnesses, but again, if you ever have an issue they tend to find things to use to get out of warranty so I paid for the Subaru harness.
I've already put the fog lights in and disconnected the led drls. Sounds like they'd screw with me with that alone.

·
Registered
14 Posts
It was a few cars back since I put dogs in (2011 Tacoma ). I used the low beam power to power the relay and battery / frame for the power to lights. Couldn’t forget to turn off fogs that way and only nominal power to relay went to the switch.

Maybe setting up fogs as more or less stand alone then connect your drl back up.

Wise man once told me “more than one way to skin a cat”

2018 Impreza wagon limited

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
It was a few cars back since I put dogs in (2011 Tacoma ). I used the low beam power to power the relay and battery / frame for the power to lights. Couldn’t forget to turn off fogs that way and only nominal power to relay went to the switch.

Maybe setting up fogs as more or less stand alone then connect your drl back up.

Wise man once told me “more than one way to skin a cat”

2018 Impreza wagon limited
The Fog lights are good. I have the trigger off of the iluminaton lighting when any light comes on. So even if I have the parking lights on I am able to turn the fog lights on. Just trying to figure out getting the DRL function on my high beams like other imprezas to work.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts