5th Gen Subaru Impreza Forum banner

1 - 20 of 296 Posts

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
On July 25th, the latest TSB that is supposed to solve all of the head unit issues was released and is now available for an upgrade at your local dealer. Reference TSB 15-211-17r. It will install software version U0.18.22.20 on all HK head units so make your appointment and get-r-done!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Bulletin Number: 15-211-17R; Revised 07/25/18 Page 4 of 17
• Operation of the head unit after switching the ignition off and back on has been revised:
PREVIOUS Version: The head unit power is turned OFF by pressing the Power/Volume knob for 4 or more seconds. On the next ignition ON, the display remains OFF / black while the audio begins playing automatically. This was the prior characteristic operation.
NEW Version: The head unit power is turned OFF by pressing the Power/Volume knob for 4 or more seconds. On the next ignition ON, the display remains OFF / black and the audio will also be OFF until the Power/Volume knob is pressed to turn the head unit back ON.
NOTE:
• The Mute function of the Power / Volume knob (a brief press and release of the Power / Volume knob to mute audio output) is unchanged.
• A “system reboot” function is initiated by pressing and holding the Power / Volume button for 10 seconds. This feature was included as part of the previous (11/2017) software update.
• An enhancement of Voice Recognition feature has been made for improved HVAC system interface and recognition of temperatures requested in Fahrenheit instead of Celsius. EXAMPLE: “Set temperature to 75.” With the previous version, the system interpreted “75” as degrees Celsius which would have been 167 degrees Fahrenheit and outside system parameters. As a result, there was no response from the HVAC system.
Additional Symptoms and Enhancements addressed by previous updates and also included in this latest (July 2018) update:
1- No streaming audio. When using the Pandora® app, there is no audio output.
Continued...
Bulletin Number: 15-211-17R; Revised 07/25/18 Page 5 of 17

2- “Media is loading” is displayed on the screen but, the media never completes loading.
3- The screen freezes when the STARLINK screen is displayed.
NOTE: The following conditions were addressed in the previous software version update (and WTN-74R) but, this one update incorporates all prior updates.
1- Radio station presets disappear (touch screen buttons return to “Initializing”).
Continued...
Bulletin Number: 15-211-17R; Revised 07/25/18
Page 6 of 17

2- STARLINK “Telematics Service in Progress” screen freezes.
3- Apple Car Play / Android Auto function does not operate (“No Device Connected”).
4- The complete guidance route can be displayed.
5- A Longitude and Latitude search feature has been added.
6- A “Beep” notification feature has been added for driving time and rest periods.
For reference, the previously released WTN-74R symptoms are also provided below. The main purpose of WTN-74R was to address display screen freeze-up during Back-Up Camera display (when the shifter is in “R”). In addition, the screen may also freeze when either the Subaru STARLINK or Disclaimer Caution / I Agree screen is displayed.
Continued...
Bulletin Number: 15-211-17R; Revised 07/25/18 Page 7 of 17

The previously released WTN-74R updates also addressed these additional operational conditions:
1) After switching the vehicle (ACC or IGN) on, the display screen goes black with no audio output and the hard key buttons are illuminated (on solid, or flashing / blinking).
2) Time of day displayed in the MFD (Multi-Function Display) is incorrect and the arrival time displayed in Navigation units is also incorrect.
3) The time in the MFD automatically reverts to a “default” setting, even after setting the time using “Manual” mode.
4) Audio volume goes to maximum automatically after one click of the volume up button on the steering wheel. In some cases, this condition may also occur without input from the operator. Maximum volume is also displayed on the screen.
Continued...
Bulletin Number: 15-211-17R; Revised 07/25/18 Page 8 of 17

·
Registered
319 Posts
Well dammit, I was just there end of last week!

I'll definitely get this done next time unless someone can dig up a copy of the upgrade files :D

·
Registered
176 Posts
Nice to know ...

This would have been nice to know (eg, to reset with Android Auto) after last November's update, instead of turning the engine off & waiting three minutes:
• A “system reboot” function is initiated by pressing and holding the Power / Volume button for 10 seconds. This feature was included as part of the previous (11/2017) software update.
This is also nice, but a better solution would be to simply power up with the audio muted, if it was muted when powered down (like, you know, radios have worked for the last century):
• Operation of the head unit after switching the ignition off and back on has been revised:
PREVIOUS Version: The head unit power is turned OFF by pressing the Power/Volume knob for 4 or more seconds. On the next ignition ON, the display remains OFF / black while the audio begins playing automatically. This was the prior characteristic operation.
NEW Version: The head unit power is turned OFF by pressing the Power/Volume knob for 4 or more seconds. On the next ignition ON, the display remains OFF / black and the audio will also be OFF until the Power/Volume knob is pressed to turn the head unit back ON.
A real problem prior to last November's update; since then, just selecting another input & then reselecting the desired media, works. Hopefully, this fixes that:
2- “Media is loading” is displayed on the screen but, the media never completes loading.

·
Registered
290 Posts
I'm currently at the dealership and they're working on the update. Apparently, they're having problems downloading the software from Subaru's site...
They did confirm there is an update available.

We'll see how this goes.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Just a cousin popping in from the XV forum, as I frequently do because all things Impreza are all things XV; I figured I’d finally make an account here.

Just wanted to say thanks for the update info. I’ve been tracking it for a month since it hit the European Outback forum. The buggy and weird firmware has been a thorn in all our sides.

·
Registered
290 Posts
A note of caution:
Be prepared to wait awhile at your dealership for them to get the update.
Apparently, I was the first person to request this TSB at Stohlman Subaru in Tysons Corner, VA.

I was there for almost 3 hours, primarily because they were having major issues downloading the file.

Anywhoo, I'm still having issues with Android Auto disconnecting randomly on this update, so maybe it's just my phone that's the culprit.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
You can't do it yourself. You need the Subaru file on a flash drive and Subaru does not make it available to the public.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Getting mine done Wednesday morning. They assured me they will have the file downloaded and on flash ready to rock and roll.

·
Registered
290 Posts
You can't do it yourself. You need the Subaru file on a flash drive and Subaru does not make it available to the public.
That is correct, unless someone posts the file somewhere public.

I spoke to one of the Subaru employees yesterday at the dealership and he said the same thing.
I asked if it would void the warranty if I tried to flash the OS myself, and he said, "Probably".

·
Registered
78 Posts
That is correct, unless someone posts the file somewhere public.

I spoke to one of the Subaru employees yesterday at the dealership and he said the same thing.
I asked if it would void the warranty if I tried to flash the OS myself, and he said, "Probably".
odd. They did with the last update

·
Registered
92 Posts
Has anyone else gotten the update yet? I just got my car updated yesterday, and wow is there a huge difference in responsiveness now, I didn't have any weird issues before the update, but it's like a whole new radio after this latest update. They really outdid themselves in my eyes so far.

1 - 20 of 296 Posts