5th Gen Subaru Impreza Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everybody, bought my first Subaru 2 weeks ago, '19 Impreza 5 door, limited, cvt. Dealer service loaner w only 4k miles. Love it so far! But one question: From cold, it's taking about 5 mins for the little blue temp light on the dashboard to turn off and the rpms to drop. Normal? Bear in mind, I'm in central Tx so it's not cold outside. (We consider 45 degrees to be life-threatening). Any help appreciated and looking forward to participating in this forum.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Welcome, hud. Totally normal operation. Should be just a minute or two more before you feel heat, if you have it turned on. Enjoy your hatch.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, Byll! My last car had the same feature, high rpm starting from cold and then dropping to normal once engine was warmed up but it usually took about 30 seconds to maybe a minute. This one's taking so long, wondering if something's wrong. I'll try to get used to it.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Welcome to thunderdome! Yep it’s normal unfortunately. mine sounds like a freight train until it warms up and that light goes off.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, Pooter! I see that some other posters don't like the noise the engine makes but I kind of like it. This 2-liter boxer's a legendary motor I've always wanted to own and now I do. The noise is just a reminder!

·
Registered
212 Posts
That's pretty much how mine is as well. Subarus take a while to warm up, certainly slower than my old Toyota products did. I live here in the snowbelts of lakes Erie and Ontario, and I have a block heater on mine. I also use the remote start a lot in the winter.

·
Registered
53 Posts
My MY18 CVT does the same, the RPM rise settles down as soon as you put it in gear.

I just drive gently until the blue temp indication goes out.
I was always taught that this is the best way to warm up an engine, although there's never any snow where I live......

·
Registered
2019 Subaru Impreza Sport 5 Dr. Manual Shift
356 Posts
Welcome! As others have said it's normal, consider that the "warmed" up temps are a lot hotter than ambient. The blue light is a good reminder to drive gently until everything is warmed up and ready to go.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts