5th Gen Subaru Impreza Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I have some questions for the longtime subaru owners.

My 2019 5 door Base 5 speed, the car is brand new.

Since this is my first Subaru, how is the reliability on these things? I plan to keep this car long term, can I expect 200-300K miles if well taken care of?

·
Administrator
2017 Imp 5 door. Auto, Red.
1,905 Posts
First of all welcome! I have purchased 8 Subarus for me and my family. This new global platform car has had the most recalls and given the most problems for owners than any other Subaru I have ever seen. To be honest it has made me re-think if I will purchase another Subaru in the future.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I bought a leftover 2019 for a great price, I went with a manual trans, wanted to stay away from CVT issues.

·
Banned
141 Posts
I bought a leftover 2019 for a great price, I went with a manual trans, wanted to stay away from CVT issues.
The problems CJ are referring to are not limited to CVT problems. Just look at the recall list and TSBs. Or do a search in this forum and you’ll see everything from brakes, AC blower motors, infotainment systems, axles, suspension components, engine oil seals....it’s a new platform and is still very much getting the kinks worked out.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I will be keeping a close eye on this car, specially keep an eye out for oil consumption, depending on how it does I will buy the 100k extended warranty before the 36k runs out.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Lets not forget that the ENGINE is not new to GEN5. (FB engine dates back to 2012 ) The DirectInjection is new to this engine. I highly doubt that DI causes oil-consumption.

·
Registered
351 Posts
The problems CJ are referring to are not limited to CVT problems. Just look at the recall list and TSBs. Or do a search in this forum and you’ll see everything from brakes, AC blower motors, infotainment systems, axles, suspension components, engine oil seals....it’s a new platform and is still very much getting the kinks worked out.
This 'platform' was NEW in 2017. In the car world, it is nowhere near 'new' any longer.

As for many of the other items you mention, they have been RECALLS in the early years which have been largely resolved by now. (new models ALREADY have the corrective-actions applied.) As mentioned in the past, a recall should NOT be considered a 'quality problem'. All vehicles get reworked after release. Some automakers (like Honda) purposfully fix them 'under the covers' so there are fewer recalls against their vehicles.

I fully expect to get WELL over 100K miles from my 2017.... I expect it to RUST out long before any major problems after 9 years or so. (like any other vehicle in the NorthEast)

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
This 'platform' was NEW in 2017. In the car world, it is nowhere near 'new' any longer.

As for many of the other items you mention, they have been RECALLS in the early years which have been largely resolved by now. (new models ALREADY have the corrective-actions applied.) As mentioned in the past, a recall should NOT be considered a 'quality problem'. All vehicles get reworked after release. Some automakers (like Honda) purposfully fix them 'under the covers' so there are fewer recalls against their vehicles.

I fully expect to get WELL over 100K miles from my 2017.... I expect it to RUST out long before any major problems after 9 years or so. (like any other vehicle in the NorthEast)
Same here, I bought this car with the intention of running it until the wheels fall off.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Congrats on the New Car. There aren't really any CVT issues, and as a long time Stick driver it's one of the few Automatics I like. People are just slow to accept new technology and the same thing happened with Fuel Injection, ABS, Traction Control, seat belts, etc. Either way, enjoy your Impreza. You'll be fine and it will last a very long time and you won't experience most if not all of the problems people talk about here. The two recalls I had were done while I was in for an oil change and they were preventative, my car worked perfectly at the time.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts