5th Gen Subaru Impreza Forum banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
I ran this update over the weekend and ran into some hurdles. I was ultimately successful but I could see how it could of went bad for others.

I created an update USB stick by using the Nav Update software. I created my account, setup my VIN, downloaded the software. I have a USB drive I use for this kind of thing. Logged into the software. My VIN was there along with the update. Downloaded it to my PC. So far so good.

The first USB stick I used was a Sandisk Crusier Dial from Walmart. 64 GB yellow one with a circular retraction method. The program created the USB stick fine. I got a success message then went out to the car. It would get to the main software step and just FAIL. It would give me the option to retry or wait a few minutes before it shut down. This was a loop that wouldn't quit. Allowing the countdown to finish just left the entertainment system dead. The screen would illuminate but remain black.

I had another drive. It is a 32 Gb Lexar from Costco. I use it for other purposes but I needed to try again. I backed this one up and went through the USB drive creation process again. This time the Nav update went through and all steps finished. There was a few steps that seemed to freeze up but after a period of time they would jump to the end.

I did both drives the same way and got a success message for both. But 1 of them failed every time. The drive works fine otherwise and passed a Windows quick check. So if you are having problems (or unsure if your USB drive will work) make sure to have other options available.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Sandisk flash drives are INCOMPATIBLE with Subaru's. The problem you experienced is normal...it's a Subaru thing. Subaru actually recommends VERBATIM drives...who knows why this is an issue but it is.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Sandisk flash drives are INCOMPATIBLE with Subaru's. The problem you experienced is normal...it's a Subaru thing. Subaru actually recommends VERBATIM drives...who knows why this is an issue but it is.
I hope they make that information more readily available in the future. Or better yet, make the application tell you instead of saying SUCCESS. A less tech-savvy person would have needed to schedule an appointment at the service center.

I'm just glad that it eventually finished and now my wife is happy. We were a few revisions back so she is seeing a lot of improvement in the voice commands and NAV. The database added a neighbor's driveway as a road, though. The only complaint we ever had about the car is the sorry excuse for NAV. With the update we are giving it another attempt to like it. Google Maps is just so much better (but Android Auto is terrible, too).

·
Registered
35 Posts
Odd, I updated mine with a SanDisk Ultra 32GB flash drive and it worked a treat. It is an older flash drive though... I guess I just got lucky!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Just did this update on 2017 Impreza limited w/eyesight and hk infotainment w/navigation.

starting:
SW: Rel2.17.43.20
Navi: USA Canada and Mexico_966_5933_7334

ending:
SW: Rel_U0.18.30.20
Navi: USA Canada and Mexico_991_6759_9121

USB: PNY 64GB USB 3.0
model: P-FD64GTBAT4-GE

I used the OSX version of the map updater since I have a mac. It required a restart after installation before it would work and even then struggled to download the file cleanly.

·
Registered
2 Posts
According to the TSB (15-211-17R) some Kingston (G3, G4, SE9, Hyper-X), some SanDisk (Cruiser, Ultra Flair), some Transcend (JetFlash 300, 600, 790) and Verbatim (Store 'n' Go) flash drives are recommended. They say they MUST be formatted NTFS, but later say if they can't be read reformat to FAT32 (go figure). I used a SanDisk Glide 3.0 with no issues.

It is interesting to have the update code to poke at. There is a Kali footprint apparently left by one of the developers. The boot loader is QNX (v1.2b).

·
Registered
151 Posts
According to the TSB (15-211-17R) some Kingston (G3, G4, SE9, Hyper-X), some SanDisk (Cruiser, Ultra Flair), some Transcend (JetFlash 300, 600, 790) and Verbatim (Store 'n' Go) flash drives are recommended. They say they MUST be formatted NTFS, but later say if they can't be read reformat to FAT32 (go figure). I used a SanDisk Glide 3.0 with no issues.

It is interesting to have the update code to poke at. There is a Kali footprint apparently left by one of the developers. The boot loader is QNX (v1.2b).
Yeah, I noticed that, LOL. Did yours work with NTFS?

I haven't done a map update myself yet. We don't use the onboard nav and I had the dealer do the latest firmware update at the last service. I figured that if they bricked it, they would have to fix it... :D

·
Banned
417 Posts
Just a heads up... This afternoon I got an email from Subaru that there was a new nav update available, just released today: Rel_UA.19.42.70 NAFTA, publication date 2019-17-17:08.

Installation took around 45 minutes with the typical "hangs" in package 8 (Nav data).

Used the same Sandisk cruzer 32GB as before.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Just a heads up... This afternoon I got an email from Subaru that there was a new nav update available, just released today
Thanks for the update on the update. I haven't received an email yet, but I opened up the Map Downloader and sure enough, there it was. I'm installing the update on a usb drive as I'm typing this.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts