5th Gen Subaru Impreza Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone I jus picked up a 2019 sport hatch last Sunday. Had a question for you guys. My drivers side mirror has an out line boarder around it like the review mirror in the center and a Subaru logo that comes on when walking up to the car in the dark. My drivers side does not have the outlined boarder no light up logo and it appears to have a heated mirror logo on it but I can not find any button for heated mirrors. I am suspecting the driver’s side mirror has been replaced with a used one from a different optioned car. Would anyone be able to confirm that thanks guys.
Wheel Tire Vehicle registration plate Vehicle Car

·
Registered
2017 Base Hatchback 5MT
87 Posts
That's certainly plausible. Also from my time as a mechanic (ended 2009), they typically integrated the heated mirrors into the rear defroster system. I'm not sure about anything newer than that era of cars.

Also welcome to the forum and congratulations on your new set of wheels. May she bring you many years of happiness.

·
Registered
2018 Sport Hatch 5-Speed Manual
217 Posts
The outlined mirror with the border and lighted logo was an accessory. They were auto dimming mirrors with appraoch light. They were were sold and installed as a pair. Looks like one was damaged prior to you getting it and it was swapped out for a stock one. Bummer.

Both the stock and accessory mirror are heated. The heated function is combined with the rear defroster. It will show a little defroster window next to a larger one. That indicates the mirror.

·
Registered
165 Posts
I will try not to turn on the rear defroster at all if possible, because it also heats the windshield wiper with a heating element stuck on the windshield at the position where your windshield wipers is seated, and that has been known to contribute to causing the front windshield to crack.

·
Registered
2017 Base Hatchback 5MT
87 Posts
tzd: "I will try not to turn on the rear defroster at all if possible, because it also heats the windshield wiper with a heating element stuck on the windshield at the position where your windshield wipers is seated[...]"

I was unaware of that. I'm convinced that is in the higher trim lines? Never noticed that on my base andnibe had her just about 3 years (22 OCT 2018).

·
Registered
165 Posts
tzd: "I will try not to turn on the rear defroster at all if possible, because it also heats the windshield wiper with a heating element stuck on the windshield at the position where your windshield wipers is seated[...]"

I was unaware of that. I'm convinced that is in the higher trim lines? Never noticed that on my base andnibe had her just about 3 years (22 OCT 2018).
It's not in the base model, unless you added one of those package with heated seats etc.

This thread has more info and a pic of the heating element in the windshield:

·
Registered
2017 Base Hatchback 5MT
87 Posts
It's not in the base model, unless you added one of those package with heated seats etc.

This thread has more info and a pic of the heating element in the windshield:

I figured as much!

·
Registered
2021 Subaru Impreza 5-Door Sport 5MT
140 Posts
I will try not to turn on the rear defroster at all if possible, because it also heats the windshield wiper with a heating element stuck on the windshield at the position where your windshield wipers is seated, and that has been known to contribute to causing the front windshield to crack.
Do you have any information to support this? Every single Subaru model is offered with a heated wiper option, and have been doing this for years. I've also never heard of this in our warranty discussions around windshields either. This would be no different than a rear glass with defrost wires through them, if anything they would provide additional stability to the glass, not hinder its robustness.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Do you have any information to support this? Every single Subaru model is offered with a heated wiper option, and have been doing this for years. I've also never heard of this in our warranty discussions around windshields either. This would be no different than a rear glass with defrost wires through them, if anything they would provide additional stability to the glass, not hinder its robustness.
I'll have to search for it but I'm sure I came across it 2 years ago when I was researching my Impreza purchase.

The word is that it has to do with the use of acoustic dampening glass in the new Subarus. The acoustic glass has more layers but each layer is thinner, especially the outermost layer. This glass is very susceptible to chips and cracks. I've got couple of chips in my windshield within the first month of driving the car.

There is a lawsuit and settlement with the Outback/Legacy on this issue - Final Subaru Defective Windshield Lawsuit Settlement Details For Outback And Legacy Models | Torque News but Subaru succeeded in preventing the lawsuit from expanding to cover the Impreza and Crosstrek.

There is also a corresponding TSB for the Outback/Legacy for this issue https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2015/MC-10093903-2280.pdf you can see the figure at the top Page 4 where it describes cracks that originate from the wiper area with no obvious rock impact. There are photos around various forums of such cracks on Impreza or Crosstrek windshields, if you search hard enough.

·
Registered
2021 Subaru Impreza 5-Door Sport 5MT
140 Posts
I'll have to search for it but I'm sure I came across it 2 years ago when I was researching my Impreza purchase.

The word is that it has to do with the use of acoustic dampening glass in the new Subarus. The acoustic glass has more layers but each layer is thinner, especially the outermost layer. This glass is very susceptible to chips and cracks. I've got couple of chips in my windshield within the first month of driving the car.

There is a lawsuit and settlement with the Outback/Legacy on this issue - Final Subaru Defective Windshield Lawsuit Settlement Details For Outback And Legacy Models | Torque News but Subaru succeeded in preventing the lawsuit from expanding to cover the Impreza and Crosstrek.

There is also a corresponding TSB for the Outback/Legacy for this issue https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2015/MC-10093903-2280.pdf you can see the figure at the top Page 4 where it describes cracks that originate from the wiper area with no obvious rock impact. There are photos around various forums of such cracks on Impreza or Crosstrek windshields, if you search hard enough.
I'll do some research as well. You are correct, the glass is 2 layer. The thermal strip is also between the two layers of glass for the windshield. The majority of issues I've seen is either the glass being in a bind or flashing of some sort in the metal channels for the glass to sit in causing external damage. Glass usually doesn't break from the inside out, unless there is a chip causing the damage. I've also see where dropping the wiper blades and having them smack the windshield can cause cracking. So always let those down in a gentle manner.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts