5th Gen Subaru Impreza Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's up everyone?
Im about to buy a new set of wheels and tyres for my '17 Sport with 70k on the clock. The stock 18's are trash for these NY roads. I want Motegi MR141's but, Im having trouble deciding what tyre size will fit without rubbing with a 17... i know the stock 17 size is 205/50r17 but, will a 215/50 fit in there?? Same thing with the 16" stock is 215/55r16? Will the wheels rub calipers?

I need to put more tyre under this car otherwise the wheels will get wrecked like the stock ones. Any suggestions??? Thank you in advance.

·
Registered
176 Posts
My stock is 205/55 16, if my measurements are right using keystock to check for clearance between the tire and strut I can easily go up another 3/4" in sidewall height with the same width. My biggest problem isn't with the wheels, it's that the front bumper cover and the plastic pan under the engine scrape on almost any non flat driveway or dip in the road. If possible I would suggest talking to a used tire shop to maybe try a set of tires to test the ride and fit in their drive before getting a full new set.

Attachments

·
Registered
176 Posts
And before anyone says there is more then just between the tire and strut I also checked clearance all the way around with tires straight as well as turned. The only way I couldn't check was fully compressed but there is additional room to allow for that as well. To some extent atleast.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I think a 16-inch rim will be a tight fit, however I am not certain if the 16s will clear the sport’s front brakes.

The roads are horrible in Michigan, and I’ve been thinking of going down to 17s. I know 235/45/17 tires will fit fine on a 17x9 +40 to 45 offset rim. Its not much of a sidewall increase like you were probably hoping for but thats currently all I know for small rim sizing.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think a 16-inch rim will be a tight fit, however I am not certain if the 16s will clear the sport’s front brakes.

The roads are horrible in Michigan, and I’ve been thinking of going down to 17s. I know 235/45/17 tires will fit fine on a 17x9 +40 to 45 offset rim. Its not much of a sidewall increase like you were probably hoping for but thats currently all I know for small rim sizing.
I appreciate it... I think im going to go with a 205/50R17.. just a lil bit more sidewall. The Motegi wheels are quite a bit stronger than the stock alloys as well. Think im going full send and getting rally gold.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I live in Rhode Island and was facing the same issues as you. Bought my 18' Sport November of 2018, and within 3 months had a severe bend in one wheel, and three minor bends in the others. Unfortunately, the Sport wheels aren't all that strong and New England roads are awful.

I purchased a set of WRX wheels off a 13' and they are one of my favorite looking wheels out there. They fit 235/45-R17 tires and they can be found used for dirt cheap (~$200 full set). After running the for nearly my second full season, I have no issues or complaints at all. The 5mm of side wall makes a huge difference.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Yes, they will. Even 15" steelies will fit the larger discs on the sport. I'm running 16" Subaru aluminum rims for my 205/55R16 snow tires.

BTW, if you are from NY, why on earth are you spelling them in the British spelling "tyres"?

·
Registered
321 Posts
215/50/17s on 17 x 7 wheels with 48mm Offset (2015-16 Forester Wheels). I use every bit of my suspension travel on Chicago streets and it never rubs anywhere. Only a half inch taller but it makes a noticeable improvement pulling into parking lots or hitting speed bumps. My speedo is also more accurate.

Attachments

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes, they will. Even 15" steelies will fit the larger discs on the sport. I'm running 16" Subaru aluminum rims for my 205/55R16 snow tires.

BTW, if you are from NY, why on earth are you spelling them in the British spelling "tyres"?
Cause im a saucy mofo haha

·
Registered
293 Posts
Tell me, do your tyres help you on the roundabout? Do they limit your cowl shake any? Do they make you so much quicker that you are afraid you'll end up in gaol? Are ye a git?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts