5th Gen Subaru Impreza Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So using an iPhone 7 Plus connected to the console USB before I start the car - no CarPlay!
When car has then been started and display is active, CarPlay is grayed out if phone is connected to USB.

If I wait until car is started and display becomes active and THEN connect the iPhone, I'm fine.
Or I quickly disconnect/reconnect once I'm going it's comes on. Really annoying.

Anybody notice this, does it happen with Android? Don't they test these simple things?
First thing I do when I get in the car is connect my phone before I start. But I am learning
not to be in a rush...

·
Registered
9 Posts
I use Android Auto. I typically plug my phone in before I start the car and it works fine. It does take a bit of time, like 20 or 30 seconds.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Subaru working on it?

Among the things I've noticed:

1. I have my Nexus 6P paired with the car. I also have smartlock enabled, so when it connects to the car, it unlocks the phone. On occasion, but not always, the entertainment system will fail to start up Android Auto and display the message "When it is safe to do so, unlock the phone" (roughly).

2. If Android Auto is not on the radio or map page, it will often display a message "Bluetooth disconnected. To make or receive calls, connect your phone." Often while I am making or receiving a call. I'm not sure if this is an artifact of the fact that AA requires both bluetooth and a USB connection.

3. Android Auto will often fail to start and remain greyed out until the radio times out. I haven't found a common pattern to when this happens, in terms of when the phone is plugged in (before or after starting). Once, unplugging and replugging the phone worked. Until the radio times out, turning the car off and on, or turning the radio off and on, doesn't reset the connection.

Not directly related to AA, but sometimes the entertainment system is completely unresponsive. None of the buttons work like volume, but the steering volume works, and AA will make calls. This sometimes happens when the backup camera is active.

Not directly related to AA, but the Starlink app won't activate without having access privileges to things I don't want it to have, like my contact list (2500 names). No matter, I've uninstalled.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I'd say from my own experience and that of others here that your troubles with CarPlay are mirrored pretty much with the Android Auto users also. For me it's the Bluetooth linkup if I leave the USB cord plugged in for the car's startup. Android Auto usually starts but I'm often not getting the phone active (Bluetooth linked) if I left the phone plugged in. Not always and I suspect some of the problem lies with the phone too.

My own solution is to leave the phone, a Nexus6 hand-me-down from my Google employed daughter and son-in-law (gotta brag), unplugged until the Bluetooth links up for the phone call use. I'm thinking I get a message "Handsfree ..... loading" at this time. If that fails to work at first, curse at it, turn off phone Bluetooth, count to 5, turn it back on and usually that gets the phone to link up.

Then back the car out of the garage with the rear-view backup camera display; I've never had that camera not work with my 6.5 inch Premium system and I think it's great for parallel parking. I suspect the earlier emergency software patch to fix the backup camera is the source of many of the phone linking/running complaints on mine 6.5 inch system and your 8 inch system too.

When aimed down the driveway, I close the garage door with my Homelink (another minor peeve of mine with this car when arriving back in the garage) and then usually plug in the USB cord for Android Auto to do its linkup.

That is the startup routine that I seem to have evolved into. Sometimes it still fails or I'm just too cranky to put up with it. I can see why the EyeSight front end collision system is a good idea if you were in a hurry and tried to do all this while moving!

I use Android Auto mostly for the navigation as I find the music option is less preferable to plugging a drive into the USB port. I'm still using my Garmin dash mounted nav system a lot too - that's bullet proof it seems. Saying "OK Google" to the dash to impress friends is starting to wear thin as compensation for the rest.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Funky Startup of Infotainment

There is definitely something funky going on with the startup of the
radio/infotainment system. I too keep my car in the garage overnight
and I leave the radio on all the time.

Most of the time, when I start, the radio is up and running in 5 seconds.
Backup camera is on when I pull out of the garage. All good.

Then sometimes, on car start, the screen is blank and the unit appears to be off
and is restarting - I didn't turn it off. No backup camera or radio for a good 30+
seconds. What happened? It seems like it is cold starting, or it crashed or
reset or something odd ??? What the heck?

I am not 100% sure if this is related to the phone not available at start or
the lockups screens, or lost presets, etc. But something odd is going on.
Shouldn't behave like this. The camera should be on immediately. And
then it's all fine.

·
Administrator
785 Posts
I haven't had this issue, but I've noticed that whenever I have my iPhone plugged into a USB port the infotainment system seems to have some glitches. First time I got the "telematics" message and the following time the whole infotainment system had to manually turned on and restarted itself while driving.

For the past week everything has worked pretty normal. During this time frame I have not plugged my iPhone in at all. I'm strictly using Sirius XM for radio too. I don't drive my car too much daily (24 minutes in total) Not sure if any of this is a coincidence or if plugging my iPhone in is causing issues. Technology is a great tool.

·
Registered
157 Posts
You are right - at least for the Premium trim

How? AA requires a wired connection and there is only one port?
When I use the USB drive for music on my Premium trim Impreza I don't use the AA. The drive is plugged into the cars single USB port and the head unit provides a reasonable app letting me pick albums or artists etc. I'll use my Garmin for navigation. I have a USB multi-power port for powering the phone and other items from one of the two 12 volt ports.

I think the upper trim levels have more than one USB port - can anybody confirm that?

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
2 USB ports

Yes, the Limited has 2 USB ports stacked together in the center console.
Weird that this is not standard across all trim levels.

And later I'm going to plug in my iPhone and Android and see what
the Infotainment does...

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
CarPlay Connect Issue - Possible Fix

So even after the most recent S/W upgrade there are still some of us
that do not get their iPhones to show CarPlay if connected before car
is started.

Intermittent for me, but if your phone is connected and don't see
CarPlay, just hit the Sleep/Wake button on the phone - and it
came up. Don't replug the phone. I can reach down and do
this easily.

or make sure you phone is awake, I don't think it has to be unlocked
when you first plug it in before starting the car.

·
Registered
12 Posts
The Sport trim also has 2 USB ports.

Are others in Sport or Limited trim able to access USB media while charging their phone on the other USB port? Ours loses the media connection the second we plug in my wife's Iphone to charge.

Is this problem relating to Apple CarPlay...I thought that connection was via BT.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Updated to the June software for infotainment and CarPlay now seems to connect intermittently. The only way I got it to reconnect was to **** the car off for a while.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Updated to the June software for infotainment and CarPlay now seems to connect intermittently. The only way I got it to reconnect was to **** the car off for a while.
Smart move, did you also disconnect the battery? Often when it comes to issues like this doing a hard reset by disconnecting the battery does help. Just takes having a 10mm socket and/or wrench around to do the job.

·
Registered
3 Posts
From my observations so far, looks like critical point is the ignition - if it breaks the process of CarPlay initialization - CP won't work.

So, either you need to wait with ignition until CP is fully started (I don't know how it works with keyless access - I turn the key to ACC position and buckle up only then - when I'm ready with seat belts, CP is already working), or plug the phone after the ignition. I was testing this approach for the last couple days and it seems to work.

Still - this is really annoying.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts