5th Gen Subaru Impreza Forum banner

121 - 140 of 157 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
x1s1x300

Where did you find the Chargespeed Grill? I looked on there website and can't seem to find the grill, without the emblem and such. Would you be able to provide me with the link?

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #122
What are your wheel specs? I'm looking at getting some different wheels. Just wanna know what specs to look at for a flush fit. Currently running 2016 STI limited wheels on adapters.
The wheel specs are 18 x 8.5 with a +45 offset.

Where did you find the Chargespeed Grill? I looked on there website and can't seem to find the grill, without the emblem and such. Would you be able to provide me with the link?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Joined just to comment on how awesome this build is, you've given me a lot of inspiration. Any more updates since your last post?

·
Registered
56 Posts
I would just like to say you sir have one awesome Impreza. The build is awesome and thank you for including links. I’m new to the scene so those are very helpful.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I installed a Hardrace front lower brace today. The install was super easy, only 6 bolts. I installed it by myself without issue. I wasn't really able to test it out today due to wet roads, but turn in does feel a bit more precise so far. On to the pics...

Here you can see both the Hardrace front lower brace and the Hardrace front sway bar installed:

Obligatory car on a forklift pic. This is the way I've been working on the car lately, with jack stands under the forks:
Can you post a link to this? I cant find it anywhere.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #131
Joined just to comment on how awesome this build is, you've given me a lot of inspiration. Any more updates since your last post?
Thanks for the kind words! Lots of new updates that I'll be posting soon...

I saw this in person and talked to x1s1x300 at Subiefest. Really clean build and I love the e-ink license plate.
Thanks for the compliments! I had a ton of fun at Subiefest!

I would just like to say you sir have one awesome Impreza. The build is awesome and thank you for including links. I’m new to the scene so those are very helpful.
Thanks! I'm glad you like it and I'm glad you're putting those links to good use!

update/review on the Hardrace front lower brace? clean build and thanks for the updates
I ended up removing the Hardrace front lower brace because it felt like it isolated the stock front dampers a little too much, resulting in more body roll than without it. I'm sure with a set of coilovers and a lower ride height, it would have been a different story.

WOW! I love the look of that car!
Thanks, me too!

Can you post a link to this? I cant find it anywhere.
Here you go: http://www.hardrace.com/Product_detail.asp?id=4196

·
Registered
56 Posts
You got some beautiful shots there for sure! If I had enough money I’d go crazy on Japanparts.com lol. Keep it up man.

·
Registered
15 Posts
could you explain more about your issues with the hardrace front lower brace? I was interested in one but I wont get one if they make it worse

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #135
Recently I was browsing STI Japan's website and found they had released some new parts for the 2017+ Impreza / 2018+ Crosstrek. The new parts include an STI upgraded steering rack support kit and some red STI brake pads (front and rear). Links at the bottom of this post. I'll most likely be upgrading to the STI pads in the future, but not until my current pads are spent.

However, I did order a set of the STI upgraded and reinforced steering rack support brackets. The install wasn't bad, although the instructions are in Japanese. I used the diagram to figure it out and converted neuton meters to foot pounds for the torque specs.The driver's side did require me to remove the exhaust manifold. Also, the car's weight had to be off the wheels, so no tension was on the control arms when I swapped the bolt.

I took a couple pictures of the passenger side installed as well as a pic of the kit and comparing the new STI bracket to the oem bracket. I also installed a Perrin steering damper lockout at the same time. Since I already had the manifold off the car, I had easy access to the steering damper from underneath. Perfect!

I haven't had much time driving with the car since the install, but I will say the difference with the steering damper lockout installed was immediately apparent. There is zero play now in the steering, even just moving the wheel 1mm translates to movement at the wheels. Awesome!

STI Steering Rack Support Kit:
Info: サポートフロントキット:IMPREZA 5Door(GT)|パフォーマンスパーツ|STI
Purchase: STI SUPPORT FRONT KIT(ST20107GH000 + 44616AA290 x2 + 44022AA123 x1 + 14738AA350 x1) | JDM Japanparts.com | SK/ GT

STI Brake Pads:
Info: ブレーキ:IMPREZA 5Door(GT)|パフォーマンスパーツ|STI
Purchase: JDM Japanparts.com - JDM Parts,Performance Auto Parts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Recently I was browsing STI Japan's website and found they had released some new parts for the 2017+ Impreza / 2018+ Crosstrek. The new parts include an STI upgraded steering rack support kit and some red STI brake pads (front and rear). Links at the bottom of this post. I'll most likely be upgrading to the STI pads in the future, but not until my current pads are spent.

However, I did order a set of the STI upgraded and reinforced steering rack support brackets. The install wasn't bad, although the instructions are in Japanese. I used the diagram to figure it out and converted neuton meters to foot pounds for the torque specs.The driver's side did require me to remove the exhaust manifold. Also, the car's weight had to be off the wheels, so no tension was on the control arms when I swapped the bolt.

I took a couple pictures of the passenger side installed as well as a pic of the kit and comparing the new STI bracket to the oem bracket. I also installed a Perrin steering damper lockout at the same time. Since I already had the manifold off the car, I had easy access to the steering damper from underneath. Perfect!

I haven't had much time driving with the car since the install, but I will say the difference with the steering damper lockout installed was immediately apparent. There is zero play now in the steering, even just moving the wheel 1mm translates to movement at the wheels. Awesome!

STI Steering Rack Support Kit:
Info: サポートフロントキット:IMPREZA 5Door(GT)|パフォーマンスパーツ|STI
Purchase: STI SUPPORT FRONT KIT(ST20107GH000 + 44616AA290 x2 + 44022AA123 x1 + 14738AA350 x1) | JDM Japanparts.com | SK/ GT

STI Brake Pads:
Info: ブレーキ:IMPREZA 5Door(GT)|パフォーマンスパーツ|STI
Purchase: JDM Japanparts.com - JDM Parts,Performance Auto Parts
Very cool!

How big a difference would you say the STI steering rack support made?
Is it worth the price?

·
Registered
68 Posts
I did some work on the Impreza today. First up I installed a Hardrace front sway bar. My oem sway bar is 22mm and the Hardrace sway bar is 25.4mm. The Hardrace sway bar also felt a bit lighter. Here's a pic comparing the two:

Here's a pic from the Hardrace website of the sway bar installed (not my car):

I also adjusted my headlights and my fog lights. At 25' out, I have the headlights set with the top of the beam 2" below the center of the lens, and the fog lights set with the top of the beam 4" below the center of the lens. Here's a pic where you can see the cutoffs:

I had to remove the SYMS air induction box in order to adjust the passenger side headlight. I took a picture of it while it was out, so you could see it from the front:

Would you be able to link me to where you bought this sway bar? I'm genuinely having a hard time finding a good place to buy it.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #138
I ended up removing the Perrin steering damper lockout. I felt like it made the steering way too sensitive, especially at higher speeds. The steering was so direct with the lockout installed that it just felt super twitchy and jumpy while driving. Long story short, I feel more confident driving the car without the lockout installed.

I also installed an STI Flexible Draw Stiffener. I feel like the draw stiffener made a minor improvement to the chassis dynamics. The chassis feels a little more rigid now and feels flatter through hard corners.

Very cool! How big a difference would you say the STI steering rack support made? Is it worth the price?
Honestly, I haven't noticed much of a difference with the STI steering rack supports installed. I installed these parts at the same time as the Perrin lockout. Then when I removed the lockout, I installed the draw stiffener, so I never had a good before / after judgement of just the STI rack supports. That being said, I am still glad I installed these reinforced parts. My thought is that STI must have identified some kind of flex or weakness in the stock rack mount brackets in order to develop the new, reinforced design. I do think they are overpriced, but most STI parts are.

Would you be able to link me to where you bought this sway bar? I'm genuinely having a hard time finding a good place to buy it.
Here are two options for you:

·
Registered
68 Posts
I ended up removing the Perrin steering damper lockout. I felt like it made the steering way too sensitive, especially at higher speeds. The steering was so direct with the lockout installed that it just felt super twitchy and jumpy while driving. Long story short, I feel more confident driving the car without the lockout installed.

I also installed an STI Flexible Draw Stiffener. I feel like the draw stiffener made a minor improvement to the chassis dynamics. The chassis feels a little more rigid now and feels flatter through hard corners.

Honestly, I haven't noticed much of a difference with the STI steering rack supports installed. I installed these parts at the same time as the Perrin lockout. Then when I removed the lockout, I installed the draw stiffener, so I never had a good before / after judgement of just the STI rack supports. That being said, I am still glad I installed these reinforced parts. My thought is that STI must have identified some kind of flex or weakness in the stock rack mount brackets in order to develop the new, reinforced design. I do think they are overpriced, but most STI parts are.

Here are two options for you:
Thanks for the feedback! Also, did you need to get different sway bar end links to support the thicker sway bar? I've currently got the base model sway bar which I'm pretty sure is a 19mm so it's going to be a decent jump. Cool build btw.

121 - 140 of 157 Posts